Alphonso Davies

Northvansteve

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, coach_86 said:

I've mentioned it before when this kid got brought up for the U15 ID camp that he is a stud. If any of you watched the game last night you would realize he will suit up plenty more for the whitecaps. 

Been watching out for him since your mention. It's clear that the Caps think highly of him.

Sometimes it's not the players who are highly regarded when they're 16, that grow into great players. Especially if much of that promise is physical. For instance If you're bigger and faster than the rest, they can catch up with you. I don't know anything about this player, so I really wouldn't know if this would apply to him or not. 

24 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Sometimes it's not the players who are highly regarded when they're 16, that grow into great players. Especially if much of that promise is physical. For instance If you're bigger and faster than the rest, they can catch up with you. I don't know anything about this player, so I really wouldn't know if this would apply to him or not. 

Well he's being tested against men now. That should tell us something.

He is physically gifted that is for sure. But he obviously has a lot more than just size and speed as he has regularly been called up to train with the U18's, USL, and the first team from time to time dating back to last September. If you had a chance to watch any of the game against Sounders there were two moments where you could see how special this kid is.

1. he picked up the ball in his own half, cut towards the middle beating a sounders player, played a wall pass with mattocks splitting 2 more defenders and then 1 touch pass to the winger. he still continued his run looking for the through ball only to be brought down by an elbow to the face.

2. ball was played from the back and full speed alphono sprinted to it with a defender right on his back, with no hesitation took his first touch to turn on a dime past the defender and get out of a high pressure situation, turning it into an attack. 

These are things that some of the first team guys have a hard time doing. He is special in the sense that if he stays in the right environment and focused, might be one of the best young talents this country has produced.

Watching the Whitecaps / Dynamo stream right now. Davies came on for the last 30 minutes as a RW. Made a nice run up the pitch (dude looks very fast to me), followed with a nice through ball to Bustos who calmly slotted it in. Not bad! I would think a Whitecaps FC 2 contract in 2016 is achievable. Also noticed this tweet the other day. I think having Davies play for the first team in 2016 is a big stretch but I would be thrilled if it did happen:

AFTN ‏@aftncanada  Feb 8

Robbo also spoke very highly of Kadin Chung and Alphonso Davies. Said not to be surprised if one of them features in first team this year.

Archived