20th Anniv Logo Poll - Vote & Feedback

Admin

On 2/4/2016 at 2:15 AM, Tuscan said:

For marketing purposes your largest crowd is going to be in English Canada, so no, don't fucking change it from ters to teurs. Next, you want the anniversary logo to draw directly on an existing primary logo, so using something with essentially a brand new design is fucking stupid. This is why the logo that is circular with the circular Vs logo a bit smaller at the top is the ideal choice. Mainstream soccer fans are ONLY JUST GETTING INTRODUCED TO US!!!!!!!! We mean FUCK ALL to these people so far, we're still in the awareness building stage of the marketing process so we HAVE to keep our branding consistent. Using the options featuring a bearded Voyageur face is a new image, which isn't good for consistency. Using a type of anniversary logo that incorporates the existing circular log that all these people wo are newly exposed to this group are really now just starting to identify is smart - it maintains consistent branding and keeps things simple. 

I agree, no teurs.

I also don't think our logo, and us are so big that we are detracting from anything by making a change.

We'll see if we can make use of 20 and the logo.  But the ones on offer, I am not much of a fan of.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of thoughts:

- Your best bet is probably "supporteurs de soccer canadien" or "partisans de soccer canadien" for a translated wordmark (directly translates to "supporters of Canadian Soccer", with "Canadian soccer supporters" being awkward in regards to direct translation).

I regards to having it bilingual, I love that the name of the group is bilingual (of course), and would hate that we start disregarding this aspect purely for reasons of sales and marketing.

That being said, I think somebody already mentionned a part of a solution when they spoke about "Allez les Rouges".

I am a strong believer that bilingualism does not necessarily mean duplication of everything, but rather a spirit of "bonne entente". I dislike the option of two logos. Hence this possible compromise?

On many of these logos, Allez les Rouges could easily be implemented.

94: remove anniversary and add "Allez les Rouges". It's already obvious from the logo that it's an anniversary editiono.

95: has "The Voyageurs" twice, which is a bit redundant. Switch one for "Allez les Rouges".

etc.

For the record, my preference is 93 by a mile. I kind of get the love for the bearded man, but if I'm looking for something that has more emphasis on the 20 years and that resembles more of a crest (which, in my case, is what I'm imagining), then 93 blows all of them out of the water, imo.

39 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

That being said, I think somebody already mentionned a part of a solution when they spoke about "Allez les Rouges".

I am a strong believer that bilingualism does not necessarily mean duplication of everything, but rather a spirit of "bonne entente". I dislike the option of two logos. Hence this possible compromise?

On many of these logos, Allez les Rouges could easily be implemented.

This would be a really good solution. I think it is important to have both languages but at the same time it looks really awkward to have a simple phrase that everyone of both languages understands written twice for the sake of bilingualism. Much nicer having a different phrase in each language like Canadian Soccer Supporters and Allez les Rouges.

I know I am in the minority but I am kind of partial to #78 but 93 and 94 are both good and the Anniversary is redundant and could be replaced by Allez les Rouges

I think the suggestions above about having both English and French phrases that are not necessarily direct translations of one another (or may have completely different meanings) is an excellent one. And I'm not really that concerned whether or not we sell a lot of merch in Quebec, or to people whose first language is French. I'm more keen to maintain phrases and logos that match what we represent. Like with the provincial flags, keeping both French and English on logos etc is a way of reinforcing our commitment to inclusion across Canada (assuming that is something we want, and I assume that it is).

I'm fine with languague inclusion, I just don't think we need to do it in every facet of every product and in every facet of our 20th anniversary logo. You cant tell me that unless there is french in every logo then we dont stand for inclusion. 

"Voyageurs" itself gives us an out. It's bilingual. 

Also, design wise, I think a lot of text looks terrible, french or english. But maybe because Id rather be asked "what are the Voyageurs" then to have someone already know. The former leads to far more inclusion. 

I just think we are bending over backwards worrying about something that people dont care about. 

On 11 February, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Califax said:

Do we sell a lot of stuff in Quebec? 

Why is this relevant?  First, Québec isn't the only place where there are francophones.  Secondly, do you think maybe we don't sell a lot of stuff in Québec anyway, so stuff them?   Don't we want as many people as possible to join the cause, no matter which language they speak or which province they're from?

On 11 February, 2016 at 5:04 PM, Califax said:

I just think we are bending over backwards worrying about something that people dont care about.

It appears to be mostly just you who doesn't care about it, and it's not really bending over backwards with what has been suggested above to change "anniversary" to "Allez les rouges" which is one of our slogans already.   

I think you have to read all of these posts together rather than cherry pick. Also, take a step back and talk to people like they are standing in front of you and not on a computer screen. We've never met. 

I care about the branding of this group as a component of the growth of this group.  My contention that adding lots of text to alegedly appease all parties (who may not care either way) makes logos look clunky. Like trade missions logos or government programs. If you want to criticise me over that, go ahead. But my idea is having something that's eye catching and cool. 

The american outlaws have this. 

The idea that they along with the CBC logo, the olympic logo, the rbc logo are all just a logo, and that our name is bilingual, is enough for me. If it makes you feel better, I dont even think we need english on there either.

Maybe you disagree that we should take into account economics but I don't. If we want to have a logo that we put on our website, who cares. If we have a logo that we put on merch, it matters what it looks like cause it has to sell.

That's what allows us to do better things at games and print the merch in the first place.

15 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

What's wrong with a half-French/half English sign? Also, if you want to say that Voyageurs is bilingual, it's not an out because the name is bilingual, because if it was bilingual, "les" would be somewhere. It's not an out at all. It's just an out to an white anglophone man.

Really? I mean really? 

First of all, I have spoken french since I was five and secondly that has no place in this discussion.

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

What's wrong with a half-French/half English sign? Also, if you want to say that Voyageurs is bilingual, it's not an out because the name is bilingual, because if it was bilingual, "les" would be somewhere. It's not an out at all. It's just an out to an white anglophone man.

Bro je trouve que ton commentaire est un peu hors jeu. 

And like I stated before the word "voyageur" comes from the French language. I know back home in Qc we are big an anglicisms in the Québécois vocab but in this instance this is a "francocism" if you want to call it that. Just see for yourself below. If it was English wouldn't they just say "voyager" and not have the "eur" at the end? 

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Califax said:

I think you have to read all of these posts together rather than cherry pick. Also, take a step back and talk to people like they are standing in front of you and not on a computer screen. We've never met. 

I care about the branding of this group as a component of the growth of this group.  My contention that adding lots of text to alegedly appease all parties (who may not care either way) makes logos look clunky. Like trade missions logos or government programs. If you want to criticise me over that, go ahead. But my idea is having something that's eye catching and cool. 

The american outlaws have this. 

The idea that they along with the CBC logo, the olympic logo, the rbc logo are all just a logo, and that our name is bilingual, is enough for me. If it makes you feel better, I dont even think we need english on there either.

Maybe you disagree that we should take into account economics but I don't. If we want to have a logo that we put on our website, who cares. If we have a logo that we put on merch, it matters what it looks like cause it has to sell.

That's what allows us to do better things at games and print the merch in the first place.

This wasn't addressed to anyone in particular and you didn't quote anyone, but you seemed to be talking to someone in particular.  I'll have a go at replying to you since we were having a 'discussion' about this topic.  Also, sorry, I have no idea who the American outlaws are.

I'll ignore the first paragraph, because it doesn't appear to apply.

I agree with you that if there's no wording at all and something is recognisable, then great.  You're right, we don't need English nor French.  As I stated before, I concede that too much is too much, we don't want it to look too busy.

The only two ways I disagree with you that I can see are that I believe if there's something in English, we should have it also in French.  Also that purposely excluding part of the country is a mistake.

The problem is that everyone is right here to some degree.

Jeff - Blowing our branding momentum is a concern.  I'm not sure we are big enough for that to matter.

Califax - Making a simpler iconic logo with Voyageurs solves some language issues, makes for something simpler and less busy.

French/English - Yes, we need to find a balance here and can do so in many different ways.  The current logo needs to change to make something more reflective of the whole country.  Direct translations of everything in one logo is simply out of the question.  It's practically too much text in one language, let alone two.   We don't have this problem with a scarf, as we have two sides that can be unique.

Risk - This stuff costs money. And we are again on the precipice of making/breaking the hex.  Making this stuff now is risky financially.  Doubling down on it and making two separate logos/merch branches is not appealing to my credit card.

Are we the Voyageurs or The Voyageurs.  I often write the latter, but really it should the former.  ( We have the domain we have, that's not going to change)

We have chosen to jump into voyageur iconography with two feet it seems.   The only problem I see with the head direction is that it is male.  We can find clever ways to balance this later.

1. A new wordmark, with no The. 

2. A more graphic/iconic logo where tag lines can be easily added in either language.

Personally, I think Dean has come the closest on this front from both a design perspective and production of the merchandise perspective.

Working from this as a starting point.

It is easy to make in literally any form, knitted, silk screen, embroidered, vinyl, ect...

It's bold, it works in single or multiple colors

It has an homage to the soccer ball in the toque tassel.

We can tweak it, less squinty was one suggestion.

voyageurs-dean-logos.thumb.jpg.89f71aba2

Archived