20th Anniv Logo Poll - Vote & Feedback

Admin

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 14, Replace Anniversary with

Anniversaire 20 ème, or anniversaire 20 ème, so you do a mash up linguistically and pull it together graphically.

If it's not perfect it is very close at this point and will produce well on t shirts with various colour formats, hopefully a 100th anniversary blue with the logo done in white ?

I don't hate any of them. Nice work by all involved.

#14 and #11 are very good for different reasons. 14 is eye catching, 11 is coolly minimalist. Going with either one is a win. The others are decent but I'm not as enthused.

Not keen to adopt a new logo tbh. I'd rather keep the one we have. But that doesn't mean we can't add any other icon to the known Voyageurs icons.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Just made my comments.  I would really hope that the final design is bilingual.

We'll try.

The easiest way is to go  years - 20 - ans

The one translation I got for "Canadian Soccer Supporters" I was told was no good, but the person that told me it was no good didn't offer an alternative.

If someone can provide something, that would be great. But usually when I ask this I usually only get complaints and not answers.

3 hours ago, admin said:

We'll try.

The easiest way is to go  years - 20 - ans

The one translation I got for "Canadian Soccer Supporters" I was told was no good, but the person that told me it was no good didn't offer an alternative.

If someone can provide something, that would be great. But usually when I ask this I usually only get complaints and not answers.

I'm barely bilingual but I think it would it be "Partisans de soccer canadien"? Not sure if that is inclusive to both genders and I'm not sure if "partisan" is more of a "fan" than a real "supporter." Franco-Voyageurs am I way off?

Edit: "Partisan" is more than just a fan. "Amateur" would be just a normal fan.

Isnt the Voyageurs being dual french english (ive always thought of it as more french than english truthfully) and socceronly's suggestion of years/ans enough?

Simple is in, and personally i'd be less likely to wear something with excessive added text that looks clunky... In addition to bending over backwards to be accomdating.

11 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I'm barely bilingual but I think it would it be "Partisans de soccer canadien"? Not sure if that is inclusive to both genders and I'm not sure if "partisan" is more of a "fan" than a real "supporter." Franco-Voyageurs am I way off?

Edit: "Partisan" is more than just a fan. "Amateur" would be just a normal fan.

"Partisans foot canadien", would work, translations of catch phrases do not need to be like translations of legislation... Jamie ... put three native french speakers in front of a translation and you get three opinions of the right way to do it... which often depends on the translators knowledge of english versus knowledge of french.

So I had my sister in law take a look at this, she is a francophone with a masters in linguistics who is currently in communications with the federal government. According to her, and Termium, the official translation tool of the GoC, we could simply use "Suppoteurs du Soccer du Canada."

I looked at the crests (I'm not a fan of the word logo when it's not used for a corporation) and commented on them individually.  Then I typed the following without reading the comments.  I'm glad I'm not the only one to make this point: 

I like a lot of them, but in my opinion they should be bilingual.  

Vive le Canada

On 30 January, 2016 at 7:39 AM, Califax said:

Isnt the Voyageurs being dual french english (ive always thought of it as more french than english truthfully) and socceronly's suggestion of years/ans enough?

Simple is in, and personally i'd be less likely to wear something with excessive added text that looks clunky... In addition to bending over backwards to be accomdating.

I'm OK with keeping it simple.

However, I disagree that making something in both official languages that is supposed to represent people in all parts of Canada would be bending over backwards to be accommodating.  Why would we want to put off potential francophone supporters?  Also, being bilingual is part of what makes us different from certain other places that we are too often compared to.

12 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So I had my sister in law take a look at this, she is a francophone with a masters in linguistics who is currently in communications with the federal government. According to her, and Termium, the official translation tool of the GoC, we could simply use "Suppoteurs du Soccer du Canada."

suppoRteurs  I'm sure the missing r was just a typo

1 hour ago, SuperCanuck said:

I'm OK with keeping it simple.

However, I disagree that making something in both official languages that is supposed to represent people in all parts of Canada would be bending over backwards to be accommodating.  Why would we want to put off potential francophone supporters?  Also, being bilingual is part of what makes us different from certain other places that we are too often compared to.

If they can do it, cool. If not do a sperate french and english one.

The habs, expos, impact all have one logo that works for both languanges. Personally, having to translate will hurt the visual appeal and thus sales, thus revenue.

8 hours ago, Califax said:

If they can do it, cool. If not do a sperate french and english one.

The habs, expos, impact all have one logo that works for both languanges. Personally, having to translate will hurt the visual appeal and thus sales, thus revenue.

I think the difference here is that all those teams have some sort of public recognition of who they are.  Unfortunately, we don't have that recognition and so having "Canadian Soccer Supporters" en français is important.  But if anyone has an idea on how to make that simple and visually appealing, then I'd be all for it.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

having "Canadian Soccer Supporters" en français is important. 

I mean i disagree. But we'll see how it goes. 

I think having allez les rouges on the scarf was great and voyageurs is already a bilingual term. 

It doesnt have to be explained in the logo, it can be explained in things that accompany the logo. Im french and english.

I also dont think that there is massive untapped market of francophones who dont understand what Canadian soccer supporters means who plan on 1) buying swag, 2) Not buying swag if it's not bilingual. 

For marketing purposes your largest crowd is going to be in English Canada, so no, don't fucking change it from ters to teurs. Next, you want the anniversary logo to draw directly on an existing primary logo, so using something with essentially a brand new design is fucking stupid. This is why the logo that is circular with the circular Vs logo a bit smaller at the top is the ideal choice. Mainstream soccer fans are ONLY JUST GETTING INTRODUCED TO US!!!!!!!! We mean FUCK ALL to these people so far, we're still in the awareness building stage of the marketing process so we HAVE to keep our branding consistent. Using the options featuring a bearded Voyageur face is a new image, which isn't good for consistency. Using a type of anniversary logo that incorporates the existing circular log that all these people wo are newly exposed to this group are really now just starting to identify is smart - it maintains consistent branding and keeps things simple. 

14 hours ago, Tuscan said:

For marketing purposes your largest crowd is going to be in English Canada, so no, don't fucking change it from ters to teurs. Next, you want the anniversary logo to draw directly on an existing primary logo, so using something with essentially a brand new design is fucking stupid. This is why the logo that is circular with the circular Vs logo a bit smaller at the top is the ideal choice. Mainstream soccer fans are ONLY JUST GETTING INTRODUCED TO US!!!!!!!! We mean FUCK ALL to these people so far, we're still in the awareness building stage of the marketing process so we HAVE to keep our branding consistent. Using the options featuring a bearded Voyageur face is a new image, which isn't good for consistency. Using a type of anniversary logo that incorporates the existing circular log that all these people wo are newly exposed to this group are really now just starting to identify is smart - it maintains consistent branding and keeps things simple. 

It's not like we won't have the old logo shirts next to the 20th logo shirts.

Or the old logo hats next to the new logo hats

or the, or the, or the...

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎03 at 0:19 PM, Califax said:

I mean i disagree. But we'll see how it goes. 

I think having allez les rouges on the scarf was great and voyageurs is already a bilingual term. 

It doesnt have to be explained in the logo, it can be explained in things that accompany the logo. Im french and english.

I also dont think that there is massive untapped market of francophones who dont understand what Canadian soccer supporters means who plan on 1) buying swag, 2) Not buying swag if it's not bilingual. 

Maybe that's why a soccer ball is really integral to the logo.  And Cal, I'll respectfully disagree with you on the francophone market because I think there is potential there.  But that might be because I live in Ottawa and hear a lot of French which probably biases things. 

Beards are back in style. Go with the hipster movement. Voyageurs is a French word so that's good representation. You could put a "Les" and "The". Having a Voyageurs (bearded guy w tuque) is great, ties in for what we are. Travelers, going away from home- they used (flying) canoes, we use cars and airplanes. 

Get Unibroue to sponsor with Maudite beer Voyaguer special edition. ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Archived