Stephen Hart interview

matty

Hey there everyone. I interviewed former CanMNT coach and current TnTMNT coach Stephen Hart..................yes we talked about 8-1 but also about east coast soccer and the Canadian Premier League. He had a lot to say.....hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think as always

FULL INTERVIEW: https://somesoccerplayingcanadians.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/manager-talk-stephen-hart/

Mobile Friendly version: http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/CanucksAbroadInterviewStephenHart.aspx

Good not great.

How can Hart still lament Jazic getting sick as a reason for the 8-1 when Jazic should never have been in the squad, and Klukowski his replacement, should also have not been in the squad.  All this when we had DeJong playing in the Bundesliga. Just absurd.

McKenna and Hainault looked like pylons out there and Hart didnt have the balls to sub them, or make any early sub to shake up the team.  You had Edgar and Jakovic ready to play CB and Hart just got his selections wrong.  

Yes we had our injuries and absences and were likely to lose, but make no mistake we got smoked bc of Harts failures and inability to adapt.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The interview was great and Hart gave honest answers. Just because Hart gave answers you didn't like and you don't trust his judgement doesn't diminish the quality of the interview. Best interview with him I ever read.

I'm Honoured :)

27 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Good not great.

How can Hart still lament Jazic getting sick as a reason for the 8-1 when Jazic should never have been in the squad, and Klukowski his replacement, should also have not been in the squad.  All this when we had DeJong playing in the Bundesliga. Just absurd.

McKenna and Hainault looked like pylons out there and Hart didnt have the balls to sub them, or make any early sub to shake up the team.  You had Edgar and Jakovic ready to play CB and Hart just got his selections wrong.  

Yes we had our injuries and absences and were likely to lose, but make no mistake we got smoked bc of Harts failures and inability to adapt.

I'm going to be very diplomatic in my response to you, despite my desire to the contrary. He was asked a question and gave his honest response. You focusing on a Left Back and subbing out other defenders at 4-0 down, with all the offensive players missing, and missed early chances, is ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The interview was great and Hart gave honest answers. Just because Hart gave answers you didn't like and you don't trust his judgement doesn't diminish the quality of the interview. Best interview with him I ever read.

Actually, its not Hart's answers but the soft questions that led to my view that the interview was not great.  I'm sure Matty has his reasons.

Good not great is still complimentary.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Hey there everyone. I interviewed former CanMNT coach and current TnTMNT coach Stephen Hart..................yes we talked about 8-1 but also about east coast soccer and the Canadian Premier League. He had a lot to say.....hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think as always

FULL INTERVIEW: https://somesoccerplayingcanadians.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/manager-talk-stephen-hart/

Mobile Friendly version: http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/CanucksAbroadInterviewStephenHart.aspx

Awesome, awesome interview. I loved the fact you asked about Atlantic Canada, a region that always gets ignored in soccer, and where players have an almost impossible task of getting anywhere.

Good interview, have to give the guy credit he took the responsibility and resigned.  You dont hear him whining about it.  You didn't hear him try to blame the players hearts or otherwise shit on the guys that did play against honduras.  He is no Fergie, but has done pretty well with TandT, so he cant be the complete moron many people try to paint him as.  And I am not sure what kind of hard hitting tough questions you guys want answered.  Not every interview has a "GOTCHA" moment.  

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Good interview, have to give the guy credit he took the responsibility and resigned.  You dont hear him whining about it.  You didn't hear him try to blame the players hearts or otherwise shit on the guys that did play against honduras.  He is no Fergie, but has done pretty well with TandT, so he cant be the complete moron many people try to paint him as.  And I am not sure what kind of hard hitting tough questions you guys want answered.  Not every interview has a "GOTCHA" moment.  

He's got some fast, offensive players with T&T, and has done well with them. Drawing Mexico twice and beating Panama away is pretty decent with that broke ass federation.

Some people here just love to yell "KING OF DONAIR HAHA" like it's some big put down he started out coaching amateur in Canada. 

38 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

:cool: Try and get Leutwiler next; I'd be curious to know what his connection to Canada is; his perspective on his serious facial injury and his path through the Swiss youth system.

I do want to talk with him. If only a certain British team would get back to me........................I'm saying 50% chance I talk with Arfield first

29 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Actually, its not Hart's answers but the soft questions that led to my view that the interview was not great.  I'm sure Matty has his reasons.

Good not great is still complimentary.

Good is still complimentary. Thanks for the feed back. I've found playing to hardball via email isn't the best so I try for a more light approach when interviewing via email. There's a reason a certain keeper isn't on my blog.

Its not about where he started. Its about a gross lack of experience.  I think if Hart had brought his resume and applied to coach any national men's program anywhere in 09, he would have been laughed at all the way back to the east coast.  

The guy was an Amateur with a capital A.  The Mitchell and Hart appointments were the product of CSA old boys network back scratching and nothing more.  

Dont take my word for it, just ask Olivier Occean.

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Its not about where he started. Its about a gross lack of experience.  I think if Hart had brought his resume and applied to coach any national men's program anywhere in 09, he would have been laughed at all the way back to the east coast.  

The guy was an Amateur with a capital A.  The Mitchell and Hart appointments were the product of CSA old boys network back scratching and nothing more.  

You got to cut your teeth somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

You got to cut your teeth somewhere. 

No doubt, but our national team shouldn't be the place to get your experience.  That's the problem I had with Hart. Now T and T is enjoying the benefit of a guy with NT coaching experience.

Great interview.

7 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

A good question for SH would be: In a 2012 interview OO said you were an "amateur" coach, then you replied that OO fake an injury not to travel in Panama. Knowing what he did, why did you called him for our last 2 games against Cuba and Honduras?

4 hours ago, Keegan said:

No doubt, but our national team shouldn't be the place to get your experience.  That's the problem I had with Hart. Now T and T is enjoying the benefit of a guy with NT coaching experience.

Great interview.

Yes, in an ideal world our national team should have been seen as a post beyond his reach, but that wasn't the reality, was it?

Another reality is that he did a pretty decent job, which to me is more impressive when you consider he was an amateur with a capital A, as someone put it.

Surely some of his success with T&T is due in part to his experience with our national team, but at the same time you have to acknowledge that he's just a good coach, plain and simple.

Otherwise, I don't think he would have done what he did with either Canada or T&T. 

I think should focus more on what he achieved and less on his experience level. He did bring us 1 point away from the HEX - we haven't been that close in several cycles.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yes, in an ideal world our national team should have been seen as a post beyond his reach, but that wasn't the reality, was it?

Another reality is that he did a pretty decent job, which to me is more impressive when you consider he was an amateur with a capital A, as someone put it.

Surely some of his success with T&T is due in part to his experience with our national team, but at the same time you have to acknowledge that he's just a good coach, plain and simple.

Otherwise, I don't think he would have done what he did with either Canada or T&T. 

I think should focus more on what he achieved and less on his experience level. He did bring us 1 point away from the HEX - we haven't been that close in several cycles.

It was the reality actually, the CSA just chose for it not to be.  Holger Osieck and even Frank Yallop had experience coaching professionals.  Then suddenly the CSA decided it didn't want to spend on a coach and handed positions to youth coaches Dale Mitchell and Stephen Hart.  And now we have Benito Floro coaching... 

I don't blame Hart for taking the job but let's not act as if he was our only choice.

And I think we're over exaggerating what Hart did with Canada as if he had success.  He had a good 2007 Gold Cup, true but also worked with a very good and in form squad that looking back should have been expected to reach the semis (remember the "best midfield in CONCACAF").  In 2009 he had an average Gold Cup, losing to a Honduras B team in the QF.  In 2011 we stunk at the Gold Cup. And then we missed the Hex in a relatively easy group.

So his greatest achievement with us was reaching the 2007 GC semi... aside from that he was average to below average.  I wouldn't say he had success at any time.  

His best results for us were 2-1 v Costa Rica, 3-0 v Guatemala (2007)... 1-0 v Panama (2012).  His worst results 1-2 v Guadeloupe (2007), 0-0 v Puerto Rico, 0-0 v St Kitts (2011) and 1-8 v Honduras (2012).

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

And I think we're over exaggerating what Hart did with Canada as if he had success.  He had a good 2007 Gold Cup, true but also worked with a very good and in form squad that looking back should have been expected to reach the semis (remember the "best midfield in CONCACAF").  In 2009 he had an average Gold Cup, losing to a Honduras B team in the QF.  In 2011 we stunk at the Gold Cup. And then we missed the Hex in a relatively easy group.

So his greatest achievement with us was reaching the 2007 GC semi... aside from that he was average to below average.  I wouldn't say he had success at any time.  

His best results for us were 2-1 v Costa Rica, 3-0 v Guatemala (2007)... 1-0 v Panama (2012).  His worst results 1-2 v Guadeloupe (2007), 0-0 v Puerto Rico, 0-0 v St Kitts (2011) and 1-8 v Honduras (2012).

"He worked with a very good and in form squad...."

Yes, and obviously you cannot view him in isolation from that. Credit to Stephen Hart for the form his team showed in the 2007 Gold Cup.

2009 Gold Cup Canada reaches the QF - not great but not exactly terrible either.

2011 Gold Cup Canada was unlucky not to progress - a disastrous error by Borjan in the 90th minute was the difference. 

We missed the HEX by one point.

I think Hart actually deserves more credit than he gets. Like I said, I don't think it's surprising that he's turned T&T around since he took charge there. My belief is that he's belittled around here because of his lack of professional experience, despite doing a pretty decent job (especially for an "amateur").

At the end of the day we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, Keegan.

12 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Good not great.

Jazic was arguably our best player against Cuba and set up the second and third goals. Why are you trashing him when he played well in that cycle? I do agree that de Jong should have played over Klukowski, but to say that Jazic should have never been in our squad because oh we have a Bundesliga player. Perhaps that de Jong was a sexier player, but Jazic earned his spot. 

Everyone looked good against that rag tag Cuba side.  

I don't mean to trash Jazic, I only bring him up because I don't think there's anyone in their right mind who would have picked Jazic, a 36 year old on the worst team in MLS history, playing his last games before retiring altogether that Fall, over 26 year old deJong who was in mid season form and made 20 appearances for Augsburg that year.  To me, it's one of the most dumbfounding selections in the history of the national team.  

Archived