FC Barcelona expands Canadian academies, including Mississauga

Saviola7

Not too take anything from you Jeffrey, but Messi came from Newell Old Boys academy until the age of 12-13 I believe before he joined Barca's academy.  He was already a phenom in Argentina at that age, but Newells couldn't pay for Messi's growth hormone treatments, as you well know, he was diagnosed with a mild dwarfism, and Barca's paid full treatment, if Messi was with them.  Newell's Old Boyd have one of thr best academies in Argentina, and I'd say could rival La Masia or La Fabrica.  I don't trust most of Canadian academies here as from what I've seen, not much emphasis is placed on technique, precision and playing futsal.  Thought by now Canada would embrace abit more flair in the game.  The Caps academy seems to have implemented more things to the kids.

On 14/2/2016 at 7:32 AM, nolbertos said:

Not too take anything from you Jeffrey, but Messi came from Newell Old Boys academy until the age of 12-13 I believe before he joined Barca's academy.  He was already a phenom in Argentina at that age, but Newells couldn't pay for Messi's growth hormone treatments, as you well know, he was diagnosed with a mild dwarfism, and Barca's paid full treatment, if Messi was with them.  Newell's Old Boyd have one of thr best academies in Argentina, and I'd say could rival La Masia or La Fabrica.  I don't trust most of Canadian academies here as from what I've seen, not much emphasis is placed on technique, precision and playing futsal.  Thought by now Canada would embrace abit more flair in the game.  The Caps academy seems to have implemented more things to the kids.

Right, he's from Newell's and I think one day we may see him back there, it is the only other club in his heart and his family's.

If it had not been for Barça he would not be the player he is today, and not because of hormones (which helped obviously). It has to do with the philosophy of the Masia, and no, no academy in Argentina can rival Barcelona, sorry. Maybe because they cannot channel the talent in the same way, the money, the capacity to develop the kids as people. The Masia is not only fundamental for Barcelona's success in this century, being the winningest team, it also explains a huge part of Spain's.

Right now Barça is not as reliant on the Masia, with Valdes gone and Puyol and Xavi and Pedro, but it is still important, we still play with at least 5 academy players as regular starters.

On 2/17/2016 at 3:05 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

no academy in Argentina can rival Barcelona, sorry. Maybe because they cannot channel the talent in the same way, the money, the capacity to develop the kids as people. The Masia is not only fundamental for Barcelona's success in this century, being the winningest team, it also explains a huge part of Spain's.

I disagree, The Masia may have the most money and better infrastructure, but when it comes to producing talent historically they are way behind Argentina and Brazil.  Under 20's are dominated by these two nation with Spain only having 1 trophy to their name. 

Under 17 Spain doesn't even register.

And when you say winningest team what exactly do you mean?  Barcelona are still behind Real Madrid in trophy count in both La Liga and Champions League.

42 minutes ago, MrSabiondo said:

I disagree, The Masia may have the most money and better infrastructure, but when it comes to producing talent historically they are way behind Argentina and Brazil.  Under 20's are dominated by these two nation with Spain only having 1 trophy to their name. 

Under 17 Spain doesn't even register.

And when you say winningest team what exactly do you mean?  Barcelona are still behind Real Madrid in trophy count in both La Liga and Champions League.

Do me a favour and read the post before responding, I mean, I said "this century" and you did not understand what I meant. Try again.

Anyways, you are comparing one single club academy with all of Argentina and Brazil, which is, well, pretty amazing. And of course you are right, La Masia "way behind Argentina and Brazil", I concede, you are a genius.

On 24/2/2016 at 3:10 AM, elGuapo said:
  •  Btw, FCB Mississauga academy is officialy called FCBescola Toronto, despite the fact that it is right beside the Hershey centre
  •  

I was looking at the website. It is very transparent and clear, I'll give them that. The only two things that really irk me, to be honest, is the price, about 50% too high, and the competitive level, playing internal matches. You cannot charge that much for no real competition, it is simply a fiction.

• 1 year later...

How are they doing in Toronto these days?  The FCB Escola Ottawa program has been operating out of the east end and decided to add a south end location this spring - all of a sudden the EODSA or OSA has a problem with them and has threatened to fine any club/academy that plays a friendly game against them.  Only reason I can think of as to why the EODSA/OSA is concerned all of a sudden is that there's a big club in the south end of Ottawa that sees the new location as competition for $$$.

Is this a problem for the Toronto program, or is it only in south Ottawa?

1 hour ago, Protega said:

How are they doing in Toronto these days?  The FCB Escola Ottawa program has been operating out of the east end and decided to add a south end location this spring - all of a sudden the EODSA or OSA has a problem with them and has threatened to fine any club/academy that plays a friendly game against them.  Only reason I can think of as to why the EODSA/OSA is concerned all of a sudden is that there's a big club in the south end of Ottawa that sees the new location as competition for $$$.

Just checked the FCBEscola Ottawa website, $2500 plus $275 for the uniform for a 22 week program. I feel bad for those parents.

On 3/25/2017 at 1:20 PM, Protega said:

To the best of my knowledge they are not in any club league, SAAC, or CAF (although I notice that FCB Escola Edmonton and Vancouver are on the SAAC website now). Maybe they will join the rumoured OASL? I have not heard any team playing them either. I've seen the tail end of their training and I don't think they're doing anything special.

While I'm not a decision-maker, so in some sense it doesn't matter, I am all for discouraging other clubs from in any way legitimizing these charlatans.

It's happening in Montreal this spring. I've read that they have their schools set up in the 5 cities with pro soccer right now and that they'll play a tournament in Toronto and the best players will form a Canadian team to play in Barcelona.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1019501/soccer-fc-barcelone-ecole-montreal-quebec

Fact is that hook is enough for people to pay that amount of money.

Archived