Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

4 hours ago, masster said:

The World Soccer section of the forum that exists, but for some reason isn't visible on the front page since the switch over.

I'll look at it again.

No idea why it is not visible.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Roberts now capped with Guyana.  He played pretty well in the first half.  Good for him but I wonder if he will still be considered CDN on the CPL rosters?  

If they have a Canadian passport, they count. Which is good for the league. Realistically, if a Canadian in the CPL plays for another country, it's because they aren't getting calls from ours.

Yeah losing these types of dual nationals is no problem. 

Think of them as Jonathan DeGuzman's. We could cynically cap tie them and sell them on world cup dreams with no expectations of ever having them in meaningful matches. Or we can be proud of Canadian product talent, making an impact in global soccer.

It's time to give back.

58 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Think of them as Jonathan DeGuzman's. We could cynically cap tie them and sell them on world cup dreams with no expectations of ever having them in meaningful matches. Or we can be proud of Canadian product talent, making an impact in global soccer.

It's time to give back.

I don't get it. JDG2 would have been huge for us. I had a huge problem losing him. And conversely, he didn't play much for the Dutch, but did play in a World Cup, so not sure Roberts and De Guzman fall into the same category

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

It's time to give back.

What? 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I don't get it. JDG2 would have been huge for us. I had a huge problem losing him. And conversely, he didn't play much for the Dutch, but did play in a World Cup, so not sure Roberts and De Guzman fall into the same category

Quillan Roberts is huge for Guyana. They would have had a huge problem losing him. And conversely, he wouldn't have played much for Canada, but may have played in a one off in a big tournament.

We're the captain now. 

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Quillan Roberts is huge for Guyana. They would have had a huge problem losing him. And conversely, he wouldn't have played much for Canada, but may have played in a one off in a big tournament.

We're the captain now. 

I think the confusion is that, while JDG2 and Roberts both had a big vs little country (soccer-wise) decision, Roberts took the little country and JDG2 took the big country. To me, those two guys are the opposite.

I'm not sure if there is any good parallel for Roberts for us, since I'm struggling to think of any player that plays a big role for us but could have gotten 1 or 2 caps for a better soccer nation. Maybe Borjan? Tesho? 

There are, unfortunately, lots of examples of parallels for JDG2.

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

I think the confusion is that, while JDG2 and Roberts both had a big vs little country (soccer-wise) decision, Roberts took the little country and JDG2 took the big country. To me, those two guys are the opposite.

I'm not sure if there is any good parallel for Roberts for us, since I'm struggling to think of any player that plays a big role for us but could have gotten 1 or 2 caps for a better soccer nation. Maybe Borjan? Tesho? 

There are, unfortunately, lots of examples of parallels for JDG2.

How did it make you feel with JDG2 took the big country that would never really value him? I don't want the Guyana Voyageurs to go through that. Much more happy it works out this way.

10 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

How did it make you feel with JDG2 took the big country that would never really value him? I don't want the Guyana Voyageurs to go through that. Much more happy it works out this way.

This isnt remotely the same. 

Roberts was born in toronto and played his whole life in canada. I highly doubt guyanese supporters would go through heartbreak if he chose to represent canada. They probably never even knew who he was up until a year ago  

What you’re saying is more equivalent to us being heart broken and upset if arfield chose to represent Scotland. 

Edited by king1010

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

This isnt remotely the same. 

Roberts was born in toronto and played his whole life in canada. I highly doubt guyanese supporters would go through heartbreak if he chose to represent canada. They probably never even knew who he was up until a year ago  

What you’re saying is more equivalent to us being heart broken and upset if arfield chose to represent Scotland. 

Or if Tomori chose to represent England?

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Arfield, Eustaquio, Cavallini

Arfield was snubbed by Scotland. And was Uruguay courting Cavallini? I mean he's good, but I'm not sure he's Uruguay National team good (#8 in the World). Same goes for Eustaquio.

Cristante, Begovic, Hargreaves, or JDG2 would have been good examples. But in most cases when a bigger footballing nation shows interest in a Canadian, Canada loses out. That's why we often have to hope a player is "good but not THAT good" :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi44

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

It didn't feel great. But that's not the point. JDG2 chose the side that would give him a few caps instead of the one that he could have been a major part of. Roberts (and Welshman) chose the teams that they could play big roles in. The only thing JDG2 and Roberts have in common is that they chose 'not Canada'.

To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with Roberts, Welshman, Cantave, & Geffrard picking 'not Canada' because they had no chance at making team Canada. But that doesn't extend to JDG2.

9 hours ago, maplebanana said:

It didn't feel great. But that's not the point. JDG2 chose the side that would give him a few caps instead of the one that he could have been a major part of. Roberts (and Welshman) chose the teams that they could play big roles in. The only thing JDG2 and Roberts have in common is that they chose 'not Canada'.

To be clear, I'm perfectly OK with Roberts, Welshman, Cantave, & Geffrard picking 'not Canada' because they had no chance at making team Canada. But that doesn't extend to JDG2.

I think we're in agreement..

I'm happy Roberts DIDN'T end up being there JDG2.

Edited by Yoginess

15 hours ago, maplebanana said:

To put JDG2's decision another way: he chose the team that got him to a World Cup and gave him a legit shot to win it (3rd place). And he got to start in a 5-1 WC win over Spain, how many people can say that?  Whether he'd trade that for a major role with us for years and years, who knows.  I personally kind of doubt it.  But he went to Holland pretty young, spent most of his formative training years there, and probably felt like he was mainly a product of the Dutch soccer system.  Would have my full respect if only he had decided quicker and not strung us along.

Best of luck to him with Guyana. The CPL has actually probably lowered him even further on the depth chart for the CMNT. I do not think he would make the top three from the league currently. 

He was solid and composed most of the game, but misplayed the T and T goal quite badly. 

• 2 years later...

“Quillan Roberts, the Canada goalkeeper at the 2011 U-17 World Cup, scored a late equaliser against England, having had possession for at least 15 seconds before scoring (it took another four seconds for the ball to hit the net).” We count 19.51 seconds before it bobbles in. Unlikely to be beaten."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/sep/22/which-football-teams-could-cut-travel-by-joining-other-nations-leagues-the-knowledge

Still a famous goal! 😄