Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Annndddd...becomes CMNT keeper, in the next hex he blanks mexico in mexico city 2-0 (Davies and Tabla scoring) to clinch a berth for Canada in Qatar.  Ahhhh, now that is a wonderful daydream.  I might take the afternoon off just to replay that one, over and over.  

Go for it and Happy 4:20!

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Annndddd...becomes CMNT keeper, in the next hex he blanks mexico in mexico city 2-0 (Davies and Tabla scoring) to clinch a berth for Canada in Qatar.  Ahhhh, now that is a wonderful daydream.  I might take the afternoon off just to replay that one, over and over.  

Sounds good to me. The only problem with that dream is then I would have to go to Qatar.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On trial with LAFC and appears to have played the first half against TFC (as did Jakovic - no sign of Kaye who's signing still has not been announced as far as I know):

https://www.lafc.com/post/2018/02/02/5-takeways-first-preseason-match-lafc-history

Game ended 2-2 but can't find a report on when the goals were scored or who let them in. Can't yet even find a TFC game report as yet.

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

On trial with LAFC and appears to have played the first half against TFC (as did Jakovic - no sign of Kaye who's signing still has not been announced as far as I know):

https://www.lafc.com/post/2018/02/02/5-takeways-first-preseason-match-lafc-history

Game ended 2-2 but can't find a report on when the goals were scored or who let them in. Can't yet even find a TFC game report as yet.

I'm not sure how much he played but TFC  scored a goal each half so most likely he conceded 1

He played the entire first half. According to the link above, this was the line-up for LAFC for the match:

First Half Lineup: Quillan Roberts*; Jordan Harvey, Dejan Jakovic, Jordan Jones, Tristan Blackmon; Maurice Edu*, Bryan de la Fuente*, Calum Mallace; Shaft Brewer*, Rodrigo Pacheco, Aaron Kovar

Second Half Lineup: Tyler Miller; Joao Moutinho, Laurent Ciman, Walker Zimmerman, Steven Beitashour; Nicolas Czomomaz*, Pol Calvet Planellas, Benny Feilhaber; Diego Rossi, Marco Ureña, Latif Blessing

* - LAFC Training Camp Invitee not currently signed by the Club.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

First Half Lineup: Quillan Roberts*; Jordan Harvey, Dejan Jakovic, Jordan Jones, Tristan Blackmon; Maurice Edu*, Bryan de la Fuente*, Calum Mallace; Shaft Brewer*, Rodrigo Pacheco, Aaron Kovar

I wonder if he's a complicated man but no one understands him but his woman?

17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Have talks broken down for the signing of Kaye??..... One would hope not... Looks like an excellent opportunity for him and it looked imminent, as it was going to be officially announce very very soon

58 minutes ago, Prune_55 said:

How about the timing now?

Reading this thread was very enlightening. Lots of people taking shots at Vanney and Bono the past two years have now gone silent. 

Sorry' i was away for a week or so with work.  TFC succeess is inspite of not because of Vanney.  Nebotism is rampant at TFC. Roberts didnt get a fair shake, and I would love for him to catch on as 3rd string with LAFC.  Bono has become a good keeper, but if Roberts had been given that chance he might have as well, but we will never know.  

I actually think Vanney has a lot do with TFC's succes (and Giovinco being able to convert 1 in two freekicks). I don't think players would take him serious if he just put his favorites in the line-up.

And for Roberts, Bono was the right choice obviously. Saying Roberts didn't get a fair shake I dunno man, does a third string goalie usually get a lot of chances? What would it even bring him to become third goalkeeper in LA? 

IMO drop a level (USL) and play every game and then try and become first keeper at a higher level.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Sorry' i was away for a week or so with work.  TFC succeess is inspite of not because of Vanney.  Nebotism is rampant at TFC. Roberts didnt get a fair shake, and I would love for him to catch on as 3rd string with LAFC.  Bono has become a good keeper, but if Roberts had been given that chance he might have as well, but we will never know.  

Mate, they have back to back finals appearances and one championship - not the right time to second guess Vanney or his choice of keeper.

9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Not sure I agree Bison.  In Bono's first year, he was outplayed by Q, and Q was the No. 1 at TFC II and got the injury fill in callups.  In year 2, he was substantially outplayed by Bono and the rest is history.  Your nepotism claims may be true, but not in the Q-Bono case, at least in my opinion.

The part that has me upset, if true, is the rumour that the  largely American coaching/scouting  staff at the time alerted the US Soccer about Akinola's birthplace and went on a recruiting mission.

TFC is essentially and American organization from top to bottom playing in an American league, of course there is some favouritism towards fellow Americans hence they rate most of their NCAA draft picks higher than kids coming out of their own academy, of course this will change now that the academy and youth teams are taking on Americans! Vanney and Bono were given more time than most would have to work through their mistakes and in the end it paid off with a championship! It really bothers me hearing the criticism players like Henry and Morgan received in the past as well as other Canadians who were part of awful teams, splashing out a record amount of money on DP's has made everyone look good, the present defence does not face a barrage of chances as Henry and Morgan had to deal with back in the day because the team can actually keep possession now! Money and more patience than previously given has helped make everything right with the team!

Before Bono thrown in for the injury he and Roberts were alternating backups for TFC.  Their play at TFC2 was close enough you could make a case for both.  But Roberts was with TFC for years and never got a chance, that is the definition of not getting a fair shake.  Bono has turned out to be a good keeper and thats great, but dont pretend the team isnt doing most of the winning due to Gio, Altidore, Bradley, Vasquez, Morrow, Beita etc. 

As for Vanney, I'm sure most managers could get alot out of this team.  And the brass turn a blind eye to the nebotism because he is having success, Delgado and Zavaletta have become good players, useful pieces of the puzzle.  But not every pet player needs to be kept around for years at the expense of a good young CDN.  And just because the team has won, doesnt mean we cant question Vanney, he isnt the "boy wonder" the MLS propaganda machine makes him out to be.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Before Bono thrown in for the injury he and Roberts were alternating backups for TFC.  Their play at TFC2 was close enough you could make a case for both.  But Roberts was with TFC for years and never got a chance, that is the definition of not getting a fair shake.  Bono has turned out to be a good keeper and thats great, but dont pretend the team isnt doing most of the winning due to Gio, Altidore, Bradley, Vasquez, Morrow, Beita etc. 

As for Vanney, I'm sure most managers could get alot out of this team.  And the brass turn a blind eye to the nebotism because he is having success, Delgado and Zavaletta have become good players, useful pieces of the puzzle.  But not every pet player needs to be kept around for years at the expense of a good young CDN.  And just because the team has won, doesnt mean we cant question Vanney, he isnt the "boy wonder" the MLS propaganda machine makes him out to be.  

You can question Vanney , but I don't think most coaches can get a lot out of this team, a few but not most,  a lot of coaches go through their coaching careers never winning anything , if Roberts is the real deal he will get his chance, he is not considered an international on any MLS team he is a domestic player on all MLS teams so he has that working for him. The biggest knock I see in Roberts is his height , in todays game most keepers are taller than him and unfortunately he can't improve that.

Depending on how much time Vancouver gives Davies, Henry and Dejong this year (which should be a decent amount given their current roster makeup) TFC is now the team that hates Canada.

Roberts definitely got screwed by the team. Bono made several huge mistakes that cost his team points when he first started in place of Irwin. Roberts was never given a chance. At least Montreal gave Crepeau the odd league start to see how he would perform.

Morgan actually played quite well in the several starts he was given last year, but then when everyone came back from injury/international he wasn't even on the bench.

If the Akinola story is true that is unreal and someone should lose their job. I realize most of management is American, but the ownership is Canadian so they should have some accountability to Canada.

Lastly, there is no way Spencer should be getting time ahead of Hamilton. Vanney was actually quoted this week defending Spencer saying that he tried to change how he plays and that is why he had a hard time producing. http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-coach-vanney-wants-depth-strikers-to-throw-names-into-hat-of-consistency

You dont think most coaches could throw out Gio, Altidore, Bradly Vasquez, Morrow,Beita, moor etc and go a long way??  How many of TFCs wins have come from just a world class free kick from Gio?? I dont think Vanney is a bad coach, but how many other coaches have the talent they have had the last couple years??  True most coaches dont win, but not every coach that does win is a mastermind.  

Afte r 3-4 years at TFC2, Roberts never even got a garbage game at the top level.  Tough to be at the academy and see a hopeful prospect infront of you get treated like that.  

17 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Depending on how much time Vancouver gives Davies, Henry and Dejong this year (which should be a decent amount given their current roster makeup) TFC is now the team that hates Canada.

Roberts definitely got screwed by the team. Bono made several huge mistakes that cost his team points when he first started in place of Irwin. Roberts was never given a chance. At least Montreal gave Crepeau the odd league start to see how he would perform.

Morgan actually played quite well in the several starts he was given last year, but then when everyone came back from injury/international he wasn't even on the bench.

If the Akinola story is true that is unreal and someone should lose their job. I realize most of management is American, but the ownership is Canadian so they should have some accountability to Canada.

Lastly, there is no way Spencer should be getting time ahead of Hamilton. Vanney was actually quoted this week defending Spencer saying that he tried to change how he plays and that is why he had a hard time producing. http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-coach-vanney-wants-depth-strikers-to-throw-names-into-hat-of-consistency

The Jays and the Raptors should also be hated by Canada for not playing Canadians then, lol, but instead expecially the Jays all of Canada loves my Toronto baseball team and it shows when the Jays play close to other Canadian cities like Seattle, people come out in thousands from BC to Seattle to support my city even though not many or any at times are Canadians, how the hell is Canada ever going to do  well in the World Baseball Classic or the World Baseball Championship if the Jays don't play Canadian players or the Raptors don't play Canadian players. What we need is our own Canadian baseball league and a better Canadian pro basketball league!

Edited by 1996

30 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

The comments about Spencer in that article are the ones that most ring true in terms of "nepotism" (protecting Zavaleta over Edwards would be Evidence Exhibit #2) - Spencer missed a boat load of chances last season for TFCII and a few for the first team as well in the limited action he saw (he went 0 for 7 in terms of shots on goal, never mind the fact that he didn't score - which makes it crazy to see articles including him in the same breath as Jordan Hamilton as players who need to prove themselves, given Hamilton's 40% shooting percentage which led the 1st team last year - see the TFC thread for more of my comments on that subject). No amount of "change how he plays" can excuse the guy for missing easy chances.

But despite the occasional nepotism we see, I do think Vanney is a good coach, regardless of what players he has available, he makes good tactical adjustments during the games and reads the games well. Sitting in the stands, I find it rare when he makes a substitution I don't agree with. And it's safe to say now that his faith in giving Bono a second chance after his brutal error against San Jose has paid off. I'm not sure the nepotism charge works in this case (if that is what anyone is arguing). The guy supplanted Irwin at #1 last year and I thought that was the right move as well. I understood that the Roberts release was mutually agreed upon so that Q could get some regular playing time. Hopefully (and getting this back on topic) since he is a domestic for US teams, he sticks with LAFC and is able to prove himself there if he gets a shot there. It wouldn't surprise me if TFC's captain put in a good word for Q with his dad because I can recall Bradley saying a number of positive things about Q over the years at TFC.

Edited by Gian-Luca