Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

^

No, and per the Manning interview, we should all now know that they probably are basing their player decisions on an email survey where people said they'd rather see the team win with the best player than lose playing Canadians. So in the end TFC probably didn't feel like the fan base would care if they cut a Canadian/local player.

21 hours ago, Rheo said:

In the above mentioned interview on Vocal Minority, Manning said they wanted him and made him an offer this year.  As for last year Bono out played him at TFC II and that's why they went with him.

Having watched TFC II I would disagree with them that Bono was better at TFC II. Look up Quillian Roberts Save of the Week and then look up Alex Bono. Roberts was very good for TFC II, but he didn't get to make the jump. Even after Bono made a couple of mistakes, they stuck with him. Also Roberts was on the USL Team of the Week, Bono, not once. Roberts posted a clean sheet in USL. Bono, not one. 

C'est la vie. 

15 minutes ago, Levi Oakey said:

Having watched TFC II I would disagree with them that Bono was better at TFC II. Look up Quillian Roberts Save of the Week and then look up Alex Bono. Roberts was very good for TFC II, but he didn't get to make the jump. Even after Bono made a couple of mistakes, they stuck with him. Also Roberts was on the USL Team of the Week, Bono, not once. Roberts posted a clean sheet in USL. Bono, not one. 

C'est la vie. 

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what Manning said in the pod lol

2 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

C'est la vie. 

AGGRRRREEEDDD.

I watched majority of TFCII games last year, and the defence (as it has been the past two games) was absolutely horrendous. So I don't know how you can judge a keeper based on that, and say this one performed better when they had minimal stats differences. It was a bullshit preference call where they said Bono is going to get the shot. Considering Q didn't even have one opportunity after being signed for 3 years. 

I gotta say, Manning wreaks of a used car salesmen. Say's a lot of shit, and contradicts himself a lot. Kinda reminds me of MoBlow Johnson.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Let say Bono and Q were of a similar caliber when Irwin got injured. Maybe the coaching staff just asked their veteran players who they felt more comfortable with? 

It's not an uncomon practice to consult with your team leaders for some decisions. And being with the club for 3 years shouldn't impact the coaching staff decision IMO.

6 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

C'est la vie. 

Go watch the games from the beginning of 2016 when Q was designated the two ahead of Bono. He was a dumpster fire and deserved to lose his spot. The USL TOTW from 2015 doesn't matter if you're not in form when your no. 1 goes down. Bono won it fair and square (you can look at the stats from last year) and he's been great since the San Jose blunder. Frankly, in the games subsequent to him losing his spot, Q hardly made a case to prove Vanney wrong. 

Edited by PopePouri

10 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Bono may be the full-time starter this year on the senior team on merit while Roberts can't catch on with another USL squad, something even Marco Carducci was able to do. Looks like TFC was pretty accurate in their judgement to me. 

Okay. Here are the stats below. Both were equally bad in a porous TFCII backline. Q played 1 more game by the end of the season. This is a team that conceded 58 goals over the season. Heck, Irwin had the worst GAA in the whole league over his two games down in USL with nearly 5 goals against a game. Also as for why has Q not found a team yet, there is way more luck involved with finding a team than you realize. He also have been trying to get to Europe. Carducci knew he could get into USL and went for it.

40 Quillan Roberts TOR    9   810 15   30   0       .667  1.67
25 Alexander Bono TOR   8   702 12   30   0       .714  1.54

If I read your stats right, Bono had a better save percentage, a better GAA, and we know he's a decent distributor of the ball as well. Lots of TFC fans think he should be a full time starter over Irwin already. I agree Roberts should be able to find a gig somewhere in NASL/USL but this really is not a hill to die on.

On 04/08/2017 at 11:13 AM, Dub Narcotic said:

If I read your stats right, Bono had a better save percentage, a better GAA, and we know he's a decent distributor of the ball as well. Lots of TFC fans think he should be a full time starter over Irwin already. I agree Roberts should be able to find a gig somewhere in NASL/USL but this really is not a hill to die on.

Exactly. Stats aren't everything, chances, team play, control of the box, intangibles, etc are really all more important.

1 hour ago, gator said:

I just watched the replay of the 2 goals Bono conceded yesterday, pathetic! It makes no difference because hypothetically if Q was still around Vanney proved last year he will live with these blunders!

Isn't the second one a breakaway with him? I know it goes between his legs but I wouldn't qualify that as a blunder. The first one is really weak though. Shouldn't not happen at this level.

Well now Quillan will have to really sacrifice if he still really wants it, yes he was really unlucky and luck sometimes plays a part in someone making it in pro sports. He has been at TFC for a long time in the comfort of familiar surroundings playing in his home city. If he still wants it he will now have to leave the comforts of home and really sacrifice to give it another chance, however, there have been far too many players that once cut from the TFC organization ended their careers there never trying to make it somewhere else, hopefully Quillian has more left in him to give it a shot somewhere else.

41 minutes ago, aloyol said:

Isn't the second one a breakaway with him? I know it goes between his legs but I wouldn't qualify that as a blunder. The first one is really weak though. Shouldn't not happen at this level.

Blunder is maybe a tad harsh on the second, still thought he should have done better and I stand by my judgement on the 1st, pathetic!

On 2017/04/09 at 5:57 PM, aloyol said:

He got his angles totally wrong on the first one. Second one not sure you could fault his technique too much. The guy took it well and sometimes you have to credit the goalscorer rather than criticize the keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

Or better yet, he, along with Woodbridge qualify for the Voyageurs Cup next year (if my local North Toronto Nitros can't do it) and he stays on with the team and shuts out TFC in the Voyageurs Cup in 2018 for the biggest upset of tournament history!

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Or better yet, he, along with Woodbridge qualify for the Voyageurs Cup next year (if my local North Toronto Nitros can't do it) and he stays on with the team and shuts out TFC in the Voyageurs Cup in 2018 for the biggest upset of tournament history!

Annndddd...becomes CMNT keeper, in the next hex he blanks mexico in mexico city 2-0 (Davies and Tabla scoring) to clinch a berth for Canada in Qatar.  Ahhhh, now that is a wonderful daydream.  I might take the afternoon off just to replay that one, over and over.