Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I cant find out where Roberts landed, but on a side note, TFC2 signed another American keeper, 25 year old Mark Pais.  YAYYYY!!!!  The TFC2 article says he was brought in to add experience.  He had 33 game in USL with St Louis.  Q had over 40 USL games and he was only 22.  Maybe Pais is Vanney's long lost brother in law or cousin.  

So I am biased as I helped train Pais during the summer months when he was in high school and early in his college career, but the guy is a leader and a good USL keeper. Good shot stopper, great reflexes. Can make the saves that keep a team in the game. Kept his job at St Louis FC despite the team having an loan keeper from Chicago in 2015 and then beat out Ryan Thompson last year, who is a Jamaica international. I also don't think it's fair to completely discount his NCAA match experience. It's not like Q has more match level experience in the last five years - he doesn't. Q actually has half the match time.

But Stl FC has new management this year - Preki - and he went with a real veteran in Devala Gorrick. Pais is out.

But will say, the parting with Q is odd and this is not a move I agree with... Maybe they laid it out to Q that he was never going to move up. At that point, why keep him and why would he want to stay. Just allow him to move on to a place where there ar emore opportunities.  

Edited by BCM

I hate to see young CDN kids get pushed aside for what appears to be a lateral move.  Why bother with a academy if you dont give the kids a fair shake?  Maybe there was more to Q moving on behind the scenes that the public didnt hear, but its still dissapointing.  I watched alot of TFC2 USL games last year (on youtube), but if TFC fills the roster with a bunch of 25 year old americans I wont bother.  Does anyone have any info on where Q might be trying to catch on?  

Thought I read somewhere that it was a mutual decision for TFC and Roberts to part ways? If I'm correct in that, it was the right decision by Roberts to move on from TFC, although so far it looks like he has not landed on his feet elsewhere. The writing was on the wall when TFC drafted Bono when they had a younger keeper in Roberts who had a season as a #1 GK in USL under his belt.

Roberts and Carducci are good examples of solid young keepers who can gain something from a domestic league. I really hope both of them end up somewhere in USL soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Manning said that Roberts was offered the TFC II spot, but chose to leave

around 35 minutes

http://vocalminority.ca/episode-181-an-evening-with-bill-manning-part-two-170406-jasonstatham/

While entirely possible, it is just as possible that TFC offered Roberts a contract/situation that they knew he would never accept so that they could always use the "We tried to keep him" angle to appease fans who would be unimpressed by his departure. 

Edited by maccaliam
omitted a word

24 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

While entirely possible, it is just as possible that TFC offered Roberts a contract/situation that they knew he would never accept so that they could always use the "We tried to keep him" angle to appease fans who would be unimpressed by his departure. 

Under his circumstances, What non-emotional scenario merits rejecting a TFC2 contract? 

12 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

Under his circumstances, What non-emotional scenario merits rejecting a TFC2 contract? 

Going from a 63k per year job down to 4k a year. I'm not trying to say that's what he was offered, but I feel like 4k is in the ballpark of what people say some USL contracts are like. Anyways, whatever the number was, 10k, 20k, I'm sure it would be a big step down from the MLS contract he had before.

Maybe he'd rather try his luck elsewhere, and if he can't find anything better, play for a L1O team for the time being and get a day job that will pay him more than his USL contract would have.

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Maybe he'd rather try his luck elsewhere, and if he can't find anything better, play for a L1O team for the time being and get a day job that will pay him more than his USL contract would have.

I think this is something that gets understated quite often. Bright, driven, dedicated people that can make a go at a pro career can also probably make a decent paycheck in another field. I know it sounds cynical, but it's impossible to base all your decisions based on the idealistic idea of putting yourself in the best developmental position. 

Not saying that Roberts left for a better offer, just saying that it's a valid possibility. And it's always a possibility that these sort of guys just leave the field because they can make better money elsewhere

From listening to the vocal minority podcast Manning, basically said that Quillan saw it as, Irwin is 27, and Bono is 22. Both young keepers, and he thought it would be best to try his luck somewhere else now that he was the third keeper which makes sense.

TFC fans should definitely check out the two part interview with him. I found it very informative and the second part has more of his thoughts on CPL

14 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

... when you have no other professional options on the table.

If you need a job, you don't always take the first available one, especially if the opportunity and/or money isn't ideal. I think TFC management didn't want him back, and probably made a very weak offer that was probably insulting and they didn't really expect him to take it.  

1 hour ago, Jason said:

If you need a job, you don't always take the first available one, especially if the opportunity and/or money isn't ideal. I think TFC management didn't want him back, and probably made a very weak offer that was probably insulting and they didn't really expect him to take it.  

That's a lot of assumptions on your part though...

It was clear to everyone that he was not in their plans as they had drafted a keeper.  And once they gave Bono a few starts I'm sure he was looking for the door and TFC was pointing him towards it.  Too bad he didnt stick with Rochester, hate to see him hang up his boots.  

Too bad as Cavalluzzo didn't do better while he was more usl ready with all his csl and pdl experience and is 1 1/2 years older and in the end has the same weakness which is aerial balls. Roberts should have stayed if he didn't have offers elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, shamrock said:

That's a lot of assumptions on your part though...

Assumptions seem to fuel the board lol

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It was clear to everyone that he was not in their plans as they had drafted a keeper.  And once they gave Bono a few starts I'm sure he was looking for the door and TFC was pointing him towards it.  Too bad he didnt stick with Rochester, hate to see him hang up his boots.  

In the above mentioned interview on Vocal Minority, Manning said they wanted him and made him an offer this year.  As for last year Bono out played him at TFC II and that's why they went with him.

On 4/5/2017 at 10:27 PM, maccaliam said:

Something tells me TFC management doesn't care that much about hardcore fan opinion to offer Q a contract, only to be able to shrug their shoulders and say, "well we tried". I remember pre-USL affiliate era VWFC would routinely offer players they didn't want back nominal offers in order to maintain their rights (Philipe Davies comes to mind). I wonder if the same still holds true.