Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

I don't think this is a true statement.  Two years ago, Q was ahead of Bono in the queue.  He was getting the back up minutes.  He was the starter for TFC II ahead of Bono.  Last year however, Q had a tough year, was surpassed by Bono, and Bono took over when Irwin got hurt.

As tough a year as one can have I suppose given that he started as the #2 and then was never given a chance to play the first team. I wonder if Q asked for this (rather than the club initiating this) so that he could try his luck somewhere (he's a domestic now across MLS, if he signs elsewhere) and get some first-team minutes, as it doesn't make a ton of sense from TFC's perspective either unless there is another prospect they have coming up who they rate much more.

46 minutes ago, gator said:

The Canadian Premier League can't start soon enough as far as I'm concerned, this is just another case which shows the need for it! Q never got a shot no matter how many blunders Bono made because he wasn't a draft choice from the NCAA, it happens a little too often for my liking! 

Your theory is that Greg Vanney risked his job by picking an inferior keeper just because he likes NCAA players better and not because Bono was better in pre-season when they had an open competition for the backup spot? That sounds pretty stupid to me, but maybe you have some quotes or something from Vanney. Bono also did very well after a to-be-expected shaky start so it looks like Vanney evaluated well.

34 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Your theory is that Greg Vanney risked his job by picking an inferior keeper just because he likes NCAA players better and not because Bono was better in pre-season when they had an open competition for the backup spot? That sounds pretty stupid to me, but maybe you have some quotes or something from Vanney. Bono also did very well after a to-be-expected shaky start so it looks like Vanney evaluated well.

Vanney risking his job? He is teflon, if he wasn't fired after 2015 then he obviously MLSE's guy and is quite safe in his position! If there was a risk involved with Vanney it may have been sticking with a keeper who had cost his team with a blunder vs 9 men San Jose which was so bad many of my friends joked it looked like a case of match fixing!

56 minutes ago, gator said:

Vanney risking his job? He is teflon, if he wasn't fired after 2015 then he obviously MLSE's guy and is quite safe in his position! If there was a risk involved with Vanney it may have been sticking with a keeper who had cost his team with a blunder vs 9 men San Jose which was so bad many of my friends joked it looked like a case of match fixing!

You're overvaluing Q's level of play which was mediocre at USL level. Great shotstopper. Piss poor in controlling his area and dealing with crosses.

1 hour ago, gator said:

Vanney knew that playing a young keeper was going to result in some mistakes, whether it was Bono or Roberts. Once he picked one, he had to stick with that player for some amount of time else risk destroying their confidence entirely. By the end of Bono's run there were a lot of TFC fans wondering if Irwin deserved his spot back.

I'm a Roberts fan but there doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory every time every time a Canadian player loses a battle for playing time. If anything, TFC has given more chances than were probably deserved to players like Bekker and Morgan because they were Canadian rather than the other way around.

I'll be the first to admit that while I was not happy Bono was picked over Roberts, and even more unhappy that Bono continued to start after making some pretty bad mistakes in his first few appearances, he did improve to the point where he looked like a solid keeper for TFC.

And having said that, I wish that TFC had given Roberts the same opportunity, and same leash, that Bono got. IMO, he did not get that. That's why people here are pissed off. They see a talented young local keeper who spent years patiently waiting for his chance shuttered aside for an big name draft pick, who until he had a few games under his belt looked absolutely dreadful. I think folks are more than willing to admit when Canadian players get their shot, but simply don't meet the quality needed for MLS (Bekker, Ouimette, Gagnon-Lapare to name a few examples). It's when these players don't get their shot that people get frustrated.

Hopefully he can sign on with another USL club, or even perhaps FC Edmonton (unlikely, but they do need a keeper), and he can get back to getting minutes and developing.

Edited by shermanator

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I'll be the first to admit that while I was not happy Bono was picked over Roberts, and even more unhappy that Bono continued to start after making some pretty bad mistakes in his first few appearances, he did improve to the point where he looked like a solid keeper for TFC.

And having said that, I wish that TFC had given Roberts the same opportunity, and same leash, that Bono got. IMO, he did not get that. That's why people here are pissed off. They see a talented young local keeper who spent years patiently waiting for his chance shuttered aside for an big name draft pick, who until he had a few games under his belt looked absolutely dreadful. I think folks are more than willing to admit when Canadian players get their shot, but simply don't meet the quality needed for MLS (Bekker, Ouimette, Gagnon-Lapare to name a few examples). It's when these players don't get their shot that people get frustrated.

Hopefully he can sign on with another USL club, or even perhaps FC Edmonton (unlikely, but they do need a keeper), and he can get back to getting minutes and developing.

That being said, the line of thinking from Vanney was consistent. He said Bono had recently looked sharper so Bono got the start, and after a couple bad starts, Vanney didn't want to destroy the confidence of a young keeper by benching him

It just shows how random the pro game can be. If the injury had occurred earlier in the year it could easily be Roberts in that position 

I dont think there was anything random about it at all.  The management used a top pick on a GA Keeper.  Bono was going to get the first shot at playing time, PERIOD.  And as far as coaches risking their job for their favorites, GEEZ that happens all the time.   The coach believes in a player and keeps putting them in the 11 because they are invested in the success of that player.  

For a CMNT TFC fan, the shitty part is that they didnt cut Roberts loose earlier.  And to add insult to injury TFC just drafted another NCAA keeper (German) to develop at TFC2.   Ughhh!!  

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

He made over $200K USD in the 4 years with TFC. Assuming he hasn't pissed it away, that's more than enough for an education, no?

Assuming he had no expenses and didn't pay tax. If you're earning $40-50,000 a year in Toronto I don't think you're saving much. That's before any spending on booze and women, or pissing away the other half (to badly paraphrase George Best).

27 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Assuming he had no expenses and didn't pay tax. If you're earning $40-50,000 a year in Toronto I don't think you're saving much. That's before any spending on booze and women, or pissing away the other half (to badly paraphrase George Best).

For the first few years, sure.

But does a 17 year old live on their own in Toronto, regardless of profession? I don't think many do. I mean, the guy made $60K USD last year and $63K USD this year. With the most recent exchange rate (some months its been higher, some lower) that's $80K CAD a year. That's not chump change. I don't think it's unreasonable to save $5K a year out of that if you know you want to go back to school.

11 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

That's more like $65-70k CDN for only working six to eight months of the year plus he got a lot of free food and clothes from the club. Not a king's ransom, but pretty good for his age bracket.

On 19/01/2017 at 9:58 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

That's more like $65-70k CDN for only working six to eight months of the year plus he got a lot of free food and clothes from the club. Not a king's ransom, but pretty good for his age bracket.

Sure, agree on everything but the "six to eight months". Being a pro athlete is 11 months full time training (gym, pilates/yoga and soccer specific) with maybe 4 weeks break, in which case the guy still has to watch what he eats and do some physical activity.  If he took the approach of treating it like 6-8 months work he'd be out of a job. Doh!

Edited by BCM

If he still really wants it and is a fighter and is good enough I don't see why he could not get a job as a backup for another MLS club now that he is not considered an international on an American team. If he can make the bench of another MLS team all it would take is an injury to a starting keeper and he could be on the field in a game. Put in a few good performances and you never know . The question now is how much does he still want it, because as we have seen before with some of these Canadian kids cut after spending a few years with MLS Canadian teams, some have just given up and started different careers.

Just to add more confirmation that Roberts won't be back at TFC, John Molinaro mentioned him in his training camp opener article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer-pre-season-training-camp/

Midfielder Daniel Lovitz and Chris Mannella are not expected back after TFC did not exercise its option on the pair of youngsters. Goalkeeper Quillan Roberts, who was out of contract at the end of last season, won’t be brought back, either.

• 1 month later...

I cant find out where Roberts landed, but on a side note, TFC2 signed another American keeper, 25 year old Mark Pais.  YAYYYY!!!!  The TFC2 article says he was brought in to add experience.  He had 33 game in USL with St Louis.  Q had over 40 USL games and he was only 22.  Maybe Pais is Vanney's long lost brother in law or cousin.