Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

I bet bet Bono starts next game, I bet TSN does a halftime color story about how Vanney and Blaztko bolstered his confidence/cheered Bono up by watching watching Rocky 4 with him while eating apple pie and drinking the watered down swill americans call beer.  TFC makes me want to smash my TV sometimes!!  And why does it seem like Giovinco seems to have forgotten how to play with his team mates??  

I don't think this American hate is really justified. TFC has been giving Canadians, especially youth some minutes much more than the other 2 Canadian teams. I would love to see a young Canadian goalie start, but one thing holding back Roberts is his size. He is only 6', which by goaltending standards is pretty small. Bono has more of the typical size of a goalie.

Oh its not american hate.  I just get fed up sometimes with a Cdn team having an american coach, american gm, playing in a league that puts a priority on american players.  If Lovitz was healthy Chapman wouldn't be getting more than garbage minutes.  If we had some crappy US journeyman striker (Gomez etc) Hamilton would be back down at TFC2 and we would be wondering why he isnt getting any better..when all he needed was a shot.  And if Q is too short, and you cant see past that, let him go.  There are plenty of keepers smaller than Q (Robles and Rimando for good examples) and alot more who are only 1 inch taller. If they dont give him a shot in these next few weeks while Irwin is out they should move Q and let him have a chance somewhere else.  

Yeah if if if... fact is they released Gomez and gave chances to Babouli and Hamilton. Fact is Chapman has way more minutes than Lovitz (he even had more last year). Bono was bound to make a mistake some time, just like Roberts probably would. That doesn't make him a bad keeper though. That's just part of the learning curve. I do agree it would benefit Roberts to leave Toronto for a while, maybe even go to Europe on a loan. But let's be honest, Irwin at the time is way ahead of both young back-ups. 

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Bono was bound to make a mistake some time

He made 2 mistakes that costed us 2 different games.

Your point being? Look, there's no-way anyone can say Roberts would have done better. Vanney sees them in training every day, surely he can make a better judgement than any of us. All a coach wants to do is win games, cause that's his task and failure usually leads to the coach getting sacked. 

And now I wouldn't change goalkeepers for the 3 maybe 4 games that Irwin is still absent. It would destroy Bono and there's no guarantee Roberts will do better. 

6 hours ago, shamrock said:

Yeah if if if... fact is they released Gomez and gave chances to Babouli and Hamilton. Fact is Chapman has way more minutes than Lovitz (he even had more last year). Bono was bound to make a mistake some time, just like Roberts probably would. That doesn't make him a bad keeper though. That's just part of the learning curve. I do agree it would benefit Roberts to leave Toronto for a while, maybe even go to Europe on a loan. But let's be honest, Irwin at the time is way ahead of both young back-ups. 

Regular season MLS stats (not including CDN championship)

2015 Lovitz  11-3 350min, Chapman 10-1 202min.  

2016 Lovitz 7-3 212min, Chapman 11-4 386min, with Lovitz being injured for half the season

I guess I just wish if there are 2 guys very similar at TFC2, similar age, similar skill (one being a little better last year 1 a little better this year) similar experience...that we would give the CDN homegrown kid (Roberts) the run out first. I've been a fan since the start and listened to them go on and on about the academy and developing local kids etc.  

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

Your point being? Look, there's no-way anyone can say Roberts would have done better. Vanney sees them in training every day, surely he can make a better judgement than any of us. All a coach wants to do is win games, cause that's his task and failure usually leads to the coach getting sacked. 

And now I wouldn't change goalkeepers for the 3 maybe 4 games that Irwin is still absent. It would destroy Bono and there's no guarantee Roberts will do better. 

Have you seen the 2 mistakes though? Sure 1 is fine. Shit happens. But a second time where it costs TFC another game is at the least a good reason to give Roberts a chance and see what he can do.

Edited by Guest

The 1st mistake has been excused as a mistake from aggression and the fact that he came in without a warm-up with 20 minutes to go in the game. The 2nd mistake is pretty much an inexcusable one (about the worst keeping error I've seen from any TFC keeper) but because he's young & Roberts has no game experience I predict they will stick with him until one more glaring game-costing error occurs (if it does). They will want to see if the kid has what it takes to bounce back from a horrible, egregious embarrassing error. If he doesn't bounce back then I think we will finally see Roberts get a chance.

That's not necessarily me stating what I think should happen but my prediction on what will happen.

Training sessions and actual games are totally different. I've seen players who were great doing drills but would disappear during games. From what I have seen in game action Q has always been a better keeper than Bono. If it was any other coach than Vanney Roberts would have gotten the call. Vanney has his preferences in other positionsas well.

30 minutes ago, to70 said:

Training sessions and actual games are totally different. I've seen players who were great doing drills but would disappear during games. From what I have seen in game action Q has always been a better keeper than Bono. If it was any other coach than Vanney Roberts would have gotten the call. Vanney has his preferences in other positionsas well.

I know that training sessions are different than games but at the moment that's the only place he can show the coaching staff (and his teammates) that he is ready for a first MLS start.

Playing better than Bono in training sessions should help him getting there IMO. We aren't talking about taking the number one spot of an establish goalkeeper.

• 5 months later...
54 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Larson reporting that TFC have released Roberts

https://mobile.twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/821694946302455813

What a wasted development arc on TFC's end

What a terrible decision the player made to turn down his scholarship at Wright State and sign a pro deal as a teenager. Keepers develop over time and it was obvious wouldn't be playing for years. TFC II was not even in the horizon when he signed. Bad advice, bad decision. The USL gave him a second chance, but this ending was not unexpected in the slightest.

Does anyone know if education allowance is standard in entry level MLS contracts? I recall hearing they're a part of GA contracts... QR should catch on somewhere, but if he doesn't would be a shame if he doesn't even get uni paid for. Not worth the 40k p/a he made at TFC.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

The writing was on the wall when TFC drafted Bono. Hopefully he can catch on with another USL club. 

I don't think this is a true statement.  Two years ago, Q was ahead of Bono in the queue.  He was getting the back up minutes.  He was the starter for TFC II ahead of Bono.  Last year however, Q had a tough year, was surpassed by Bono, and Bono took over when Irwin got hurt.