Quillan Roberts

Coramoor

Couldn't find a thread for him so I figured I would start one. In a post about Alec Duffy moving to Swope from TFC2, I found this stat for Roberts. http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2016/01/13/nikola-popovic-and-alec-dufty-join-swope-park-rangers-technical-staff

"Quillan Roberts placed second in the league in save percentage (.766) and third in saves per game (4.80)"

All 3 academies are currently sitting on a very strong prospect but Roberts could easily be the first to make the jump given the strength at GK in Montreal and Vancouver

The plan last I heard was for him and Bono to battle it out for the backup keeper role. Q should have a decent leg up on Bono this season because he is simply a better player. 

Now I don't expect either to see more than a game or two and potentially vcup time. 

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Unless TFC sign 2 keepers I have to think Roberts has a leg up on the backup keeper role. Even a handful of starts in MLS will be good for him, time to see what they have after 7 years of development.

he's only 21. Still plenty of time to develop. I have to guess that he'll backup a lot at home and then play the TFC2 game that occurs the next day or whatever. Playing is important to development.

I still find it shocking that TFC wasn't able to find ONE match for him last season.  I know he had to compete with World Class talents like Bendik and Konopka but really?!  If he couldn't get a match between those two how is he going to ever play?  I have no doubt he would be just as good as either were.. amazing when you look around the league and see inferior keepers getting chances (i.e. John McCarthy).

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

I still find it shocking that TFC wasn't able to find ONE match for him last season.  I know he had to compete with World Class talents like Bendik and Konopka but really?!  If he couldn't get a match between those two how is he going to ever play?  I have no doubt he would be just as good as either were.. amazing when you look around the league and see inferior keepers getting chances (i.e. John McCarthy).

To be fair in 2014 John McCarthy won USL Pro Rookie of the year and 'keeper of the year, so I'd say he probably deserved his chance. He's also still only 23. He played for a terrible Union team which might have made him look worse than he was.  Sometimes we get caught up in our Canadian bias and see our players as more deserving than others and in this case he hasn't done what McCarthy has done.

I do agree though he should have been given a chance at TFC based on his play in USL and the play of the two keepers ahead of him, Vanney just didn't have to stones to play him and that is one of his problems as a coach. If a braver coach (Carl Robinson)was in charge of TFC I believe Q would've gotten his chance.

• 4 weeks later...

2015 USL stats

Player                  GP-GS  Minutes  GA      GaAvg       Saves      SavePct    W      L       T       shut outs
Roberts, Quillan   15-15   1305:00   22       1.52         72          .766            7      5         4/0 

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Based on this release from Toronto FC, I think Roberts has successfully claimed the backup GK role in Toronto! Now let's hope he can get a couple starts.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/25/toronto-fc-trims-rosters-ahead-final-preseason-match

That's great news and somewhat surprising to me based upon what I read the plans were for Bono last season, Stew Kerr will be very happy to see this after mentoring him for so long!

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Based on this release from Toronto FC, I think Roberts has successfully claimed the backup GK role in Toronto! Now let's hope he can get a couple starts.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/25/toronto-fc-trims-rosters-ahead-final-preseason-match

Kinda makes you wonder though... is it better to be the backup than the starter for TFC II?  I think we can safely assume Vanney doesn't have the guts to drop Irwin even if he plays poorly so Q might be on the bench all season. Irwin is really a beatable keeper for Quillan but it depends on whether Vanney gives him a chance.. I don't see it happening, he's scared.  

I don't think even Hamilton or Babouli will get chances under Vanney, no matter how well they do in preseason.  But I'll bet that Endoh doesn't have to wait long for a shot.

Edited by Keegan

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Kinda makes you wonder though... is it better to be the backup than the starter for TFC II?  I think we can safely assume Vanney doesn't have the guts to drop Irwin even if he plays poorly so Q might be on the bench all season. Irwin is really a beatable keeper for Quillan but it depends on whether Vanney gives him a chance.. I don't see it happening, he's scared.  

I don't think even Hamilton or Babouli will get chances under Vanney, no matter how well they do in preseason.  But I'll bet that Endoh doesn't have to wait long for a shot.

I think that if Q can get the occasional start in MLS and a handful of starts at TFC II then it will be much better for his development than being the starter at TFC II. IMO, it's time to see what he can do at the MLS level.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I think that if Q can get the occasional start in MLS and a handful of starts at TFC II then it will be much better for his development than being the starter at TFC II. IMO, it's time to see what he can do at the MLS level.

I would agree with that but I can't see Vanney starting Roberts.  TFC will get by uncomfortably as they always do and management will never want to put a young keeper in, remember if TFC struggles a Canadian could never possibly be a solution only a problem.  Honestly, if Irwin were to go down with an injury I'd bet money that TFC would find another journeyman short-term solution instead of giving Roberts time.

14 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I would agree with that but I can't see Vanney starting Roberts.  TFC will get by uncomfortably as they always do and management will never want to put a young keeper in, remember if TFC struggles a Canadian could never possibly be a solution only a problem.  Honestly, if Irwin were to go down with an injury I'd bet money that TFC would find another journeyman short-term solution instead of giving Roberts time.

If that is the case then it's time for Q to leave TFC. Let's see how 2016 unfolds.

5 hours ago, Keegan said:

that's way too negative a thought process. Roberts has shown everyone that he deserves a shot and he'll get a few this season, probably the Cup games as well and I'd guess he'll play 10 TFC2 games on dates that work.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Why not? Altidore is injured and often away with the national team, Giovinco will also miss some games and Gomes is way over the top. No they're not sure starters but they have to get some minutes this year. Who else?

Goalkeeper is a different story, I don't think you can name many coaches who'll start 21 years-old keepers over experienced ones. Anyway still he'd get a couple of games in and really that wouldn't be too bad for a 21 year old with just a couple of USL-games under his belt.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agreed - that blunder cost his team 2 points. Totally saveable. He is a young keeper but that is the 2nd big mistake in recent memory. I think they will give him another go rather than shatter his confidence, but you got to think Roberts will be given a shot at some point before Clint returns

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed - that blunder cost his team 2 points. Totally saveable. He is a young keeper but that is the 2nd big mistake in recent memory. I think they will give him another go rather than shatter his confidence, but you got to think Roberts will be given a shot at some point before Clint returns

He cost TFC a draw when he started his first game. 2 mistakes is enough