interview with Montagliani on MLSSoccer.com

lazlo_80

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

didn't know where to put it, well worth the read. Sounds very confident about new players joining the fold and announcing more details about Canadian League

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/12/31/canadian-soccer-association-president-victor-montagliani-assesses-program-after-very

We were also discussing it in the C-League thread in the other Canadian leagues forum, but it fits in lots of places.

I just read the article and I'm really excited to hear that more details will be out this year. I come to: this website, wakingthered.com, rednationonline,  Google Victor Montagliani everyday just to get one little detail about a Canadian League coming to life! I hope we don't get let down. The young men and women pursuing their dreams playing in L1O, PLSQ, BCSPL, HPDC-SK and all other football players in Canada need this league. Mitchell Tierney also had an article keeping up the hype on wakingthered.com called "What a National Professional League Would Mean for Soccer in Canada" which was really good. I love reading people's comments on a Canadian league all these websites. I'm glad Victor is doing his due diligence, we need a league that's going to be solid and not fall into a match fixing scandal like the CSL did and has to this day! Here's hoping to playing as a Canadian team in a Canadian league on FIFA 2018-2019! 

I also hope that Victor is doing what's best for Canada and not the USA. I read this article, http://www.insideworldfootball.com/inside-insight/18591-caribbean-twists-and-turns-secession-next . I hope Victor does his own thing here legitimately and not be followed or groomed by Sunil Gulati. Victor has the smarts and support to run CONCACAF and to forget Gulati especially if Gulati is affiliated with something criminal. With all these bans on Emperor Sep and Darth Platini, Jedi Victor has the chance to bring balance to FIFA by showing what he can do first with CSA in Canada and then with CONCACAF on the international stage in a legal manner  for the love of the game and everyone playing, not money! Here's hoping to World Cup 2026 Canada!

That entire article was music to my ears.

MLSsoccer.com: 

It sounds to me that if thousands of Mexican fans wanted upper-bowl tickets, you’d rather keep the upper bowl closed. Is that what you’re getting at?

Montagliani: Yeah.

Unapologetic... I love it.

I also really like his emphasis on "running a 5 star ship" with respect to player outreach. It seems to be working. Can't (easily) argue with that. (well, I'm sure posters to the V's board could probably find a way to argue with any point)

Good article,  I've convinced myself that Arfield has basically committed to canada due to the few articles written and him following canada soccer on twitter. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the Canadian league and seeing how it would be set up. If it's just CFL owners trying to get more dates in their stadiums the league will provide more professional opportunities and will keep certain players in the game. My hope is that these teams are full professional setups with academies all the way down to u8 and give canadian coaches an opportunity to work on their craft as well. 

Any reason why he was not asked about how Canadians are discriminated in MLS? Just wondering, was it something you agreed not to ask him? A sensitive subject for some at MLS or US Soccer?

Effectively, by speaking of a Canadian league, he was saying that Canadians are not being properly developed in the existing structure. And that is damning, it says the combo of MLS, NASL and USL is not enough for CAnada. NO American would ever say that, so obviously, the system is working well enough for the US but not for Canada.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Any reason why he was not asked about how Canadians are discriminated in MLS? Just wondering, was it something you agreed not to ask him? A sensitive subject for some at MLS or US Soccer?

Effectively, by speaking of a Canadian league, he was saying that Canadians are not being properly developed in the existing structure. And that is damning, it says the combo of MLS, NASL and USL is not enough for CAnada. NO American would ever say that, so obviously, the system is working well enough for the US but not for Canada.

Victor has been asked a lot lately about Canadians as domestics. Most recently during MLS cup, he said a solution was coming shortly.

There was no reason to ask again.

5 hours ago, pint said:

Good article,  I've convinced myself that Arfield has basically committed to canada due to the few articles written and him following canada soccer on twitter. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the Canadian league and seeing how it would be set up. If it's just CFL owners trying to get more dates in their stadiums the league will provide more professional opportunities and will keep certain players in the game. My hope is that these teams are full professional setups with academies all the way down to u8 and give canadian coaches an opportunity to work on their craft as well. 

Ye I hope they get setup properly with their academies all they down to U8. There are a lot of fathers these days starting to train their kids at 1.5 and up. They will need these academies !

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's no specific reason why I didn't ask about Canadian players as domestics, beyond the fact that I figured I'd use the time I had to ask questions that were most likely to produce direct answers, and that fit into the structure of what I was trying to do.

And just for clarity's sake: No one reviewed or vetted the questions I asked before I did the interview.

20 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Squizz, you liked a like, now I'm confused :)

I don't know if that was an email, phone or in person interview but the format worked in the piece.  Keep it up.

Like!

It was over the phone. I had a list of questions but I really wanted to just "go with the flow" of the conversation. Glad it worked!

On 3/1/2016 at 2:47 AM, squizz1402635577 said:

There's no specific reason why I didn't ask about Canadian players as domestics, beyond the fact that I figured I'd use the time I had to ask questions that were most likely to produce direct answers, and that fit into the structure of what I was trying to do.

And just for clarity's sake: No one reviewed or vetted the questions I asked before I did the interview.

My clarity: in no way was I implying you were at all conditioned, I understood that. Just thought that being an MLS site article it could be relevant. I find it odd, in this vein, that an MLS site would be interested in hearing about an unaffiliated league emerging in Canada, relevant for us but not for your standard MLS reader.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

My clarity: in no way was I implying you were at all conditioned, I understood that. Just thought that being an MLS site article it could be relevant. I find it odd, in this vein, that an MLS site would be interested in hearing about an unaffiliated league emerging in Canada, relevant for us but not for your standard MLS reader.

They do exist in Canada, as much as they sometimes pretend otherwise and therefore they know they have Canadian readership, it's no real surprise given that they are paying squizz anyway that they want him to produce them with articles during the off season with the national team being the easiest headline

On 2016-01-05 at 3:27 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well, remember that not everything on the site is directly connected to MLS or its teams. My first question to Montagliani was about the Women's World Cup, and I also provided some WWC coverage for MLSsoccer during the summer.

On 9/1/2016 at 8:27 PM, squizz1402635577 said:

Well, remember that not everything on the site is directly connected to MLS or its teams. My first question to Montagliani was about the Women's World Cup, and I also provided some WWC coverage for MLSsoccer during the summer.

Ok, no problem, just a senstive point for us. I read Montagliani is on the commission for the Copa America Centenary tournament, and went to a meeting somewhere (Panama?) on it, even though we are not in it. Did you hear anything about what his role is supposed to be?

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok, no problem, just a senstive point for us. I read Montagliani is on the commission for the Copa America Centenary tournament, and went to a meeting somewhere (Panama?) on it, even though we are not in it. Did you hear anything about what his role is supposed to be?

I haven't heard anything about that. But given that he's now one of the most important people in CONCACAF, it wouldn't be surprising for him to have a role to play in this tournament.

On 9/1/2016 at 8:27 PM, squizz1402635577 said:

16 hours ago, squizz1402635577 said:

I haven't heard anything about that. But given that he's now one of the most important people in CONCACAF, it wouldn't be surprising for him to have a role to play in this tournament.

http://elguardian.com.pa/candidatos-a-la-presidencia-de-la-fifa-visitaran-nuestro-pais/

This is an EFE, Spanish news agency, story. Montagliani in Panama discussing the cup we are not in but he is helping organize. The real story was that all three potential candidates to run FIFA were there vote hunting.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

he's part of the 3 person council currently running CONCACAF with the US and Mexico, I assume it has to do with that

Archived