Copa América Centenario - June 3rd to 26th 2016

Olympique_de_Marseille

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

It's not even that we need our own league, but realistically that's the immediate discussion after the points are made.

The point is twofold. The first is that the US media needs to stop flag waving and call out US Soccer for it's failures and start asking the questions of "Why aren't we using development systems, league structures and academy systems that we know work in other places in the world and instead sticking to the flawed NCAA development path, segmented individual league pyramid and a high cost academy progression". It's annoying, and doesn't help thier development and regrettably as a result being linked to them, ours. Basically, I feel that 20+ years of rope is more then enough.

The second, is that MLS, which is supposed to be the league generating US talent (not Canadian talent) after 20+ years has been generating talent that ranks somewhere between adequate to good, not great, not exceptional and certainly not world class. Iceland, with a fraction of the populace and a fraction of the money has made far faster and longer strides in development then the US. Same with Chile, same with Australia. Despite this fact staring us in the face, some people still say "What is best for Canada is to devote and link itself to the US system". Basically that what is best for Canadian development is to be put all of our eggs into being the best possible second fiddle in a system that is somewhere between meh and solid.

Your points are certainly being echoed by the more hardcore US supporters. Klinsman has had made similar sharp observations but usually critized for not sharing the blame.

Article in Washington Post on the weekend nicely summed it up:

Klinsman highlighted his team’s failure to stop Lionel Messi from advancing the position of his free kick five yards forward from the point where Chris Wondolowski had fouled him, and into the range where he was able to score. You have to make the argument on the field,” Klinsmann said. “Maybe we are too nice, just too nice in those moments.”

Those words echoed his comments four years ago when, after a 4-1 defeat to Brazil in a friendly at FedEx Field, Klinsmann said:  “I think we need to get an edge — more nastier. Maybe we’re a little bit too naive. Maybe we don’t want to hurt people. But that’s what you’ve got to do. We’ve got to step on their toes more and get them more frustrated.”

(Nice foreshadowing here) Watch Argentina against Chile in Sunday’s final and you will see not only great technique, athleticism and skill, but also a strong dose of gamesmanship, mind games and pressuring of officials.

There was certainly nothing nasty about the American performance against Argentina, a point noted by mainstream sports talk shows, making the familiar argument that soccer in America remains a game for the suburbs, for the relatively affluent, who don’t have the hunger and motivation to go the extra mile.

The problem is not simply that American youth soccer’s “pay-to-play” system fails to develop talent from Hispanic, African American and low-income white neighborhoods. Klinsmann’s critique has also been frequently aimed at the absence of intense pressure in the day-to-day lives of American soccer players.

MLS clubs do not face the struggle for survival that relegation creates in other leagues. Nor does the league have a real transfer market, in which players can be traded for profit, quickly raising their salaries, as well as motivation to push themselves to a higher level, while clubs are incentivized to develop talent quickly.

One of the reasons I (Brek Shea) didn’t enjoy England so much is that it’s so small and soccer is the biggest thing there. So everything you do is magnified times a thousand,” he said. Shea added in another interview while playing in England that he missed the weekly team barbecues he enjoyed while with FC Dallas and lamented that playing the game in England was “just different; it’s a job.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2016/06/24/why-cant-u-s-soccer-join-the-worlds-elite-its-not-jurgen-klinsmann-its-mls/

This will apply to Canada as we slowly get our act together: it isn't relatively hard to move to the 20-40 range in the ELO ratings. However, past that, it is very difficult to move higher as you are now competing against developed nations with established soccer cultures that spend huge amounts of money on development. Who spent more on development in the last two years: North America as a whole or Man City with their ridiculous academy and stadium project? Moving from 20-10 in the world rankings is probably harder than going from 80 - 40.

7 hours ago, red card said:

The problem is not simply that American youth soccer’s “pay-to-play” system fails to develop talent from Hispanic, African American and low-income white neighborhoods. Klinsmann’s critique has also been frequently aimed at the absence of intense pressure in the day-to-day lives of American soccer players.

His comments about America's suburban, college boy soccer couldn't be any truer. The whole American soccer system (from youth to professional) is designed to create, uninspiring, unimaginative, unmotivated, complacent players. Truthfully, MLS could play a huge role in massively improving the situation by having a much higher salary cap (or have an open market to let teams spend freely) and no restriction on foreigners. The trickle down effect of that would be massive for US (and Canadian) soccer.

That would eventually create a situation where the US wouldn't have to rely on Germans that aren't good enough for Germany.

This was the first time we got to see this tournament played out at the same time as the Euros and it was available on free view on cable with univsion.  What a dispointment!  My conclusion:  It just cant hold the candle to the euros for the neutral's entertainment value.    There were just too many matches where one side didnt belong on the same pitch as the other side.  And, this was the norm, not the exception.  

Over the years on the forum, i have often opined in this forum how Concacaf is often underrated and under appreciated on the world scene.   This tournament openned my eyes the other way.  Its not just Concacaf sides that clearly looked second rate, but also one or two sides in south america.

It seems that every game i started watching, i would would conclude after 5-10 minutes that the final outcome was a foregone conclusion. And i would end up switching channel.  It also shows that we still have a long very long way to go.

On June 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM, red card said:

Makes me ask how our "pay-to-play" systems are any different.  

17 hours ago, The Ref said:

Which one or two sides in South America you have in mind?

I meant to say "its not just the concacaf sides.... But one or two south american sides..." .  Just a typo. I fixed it.

Anyways back to my point. I was aluding to Bolivia and arguably ecuador. 

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Makes me ask how our "pay-to-play" systems are any different.  

A lot of problems between the two countries are similar in nature.

I don't know too much about their pay to play system so I'm going to ask, is it quite exuberant in comparison to ours? I know things are different now but house league fees over here tend to be only like 70 or 80 bucks last time I checked, which was 14 years ago lol.

45 minutes ago, The Ref said:

A game has been penciled and agreed between the winner of the Copa America Centenario, Chile and whoever wins the UEFA cup.  Time and place to be decided.

Isn't the reason of why the Co federations Cup was created was to play against each regional association champion?? Or is the Confederations Cup being scrapped??

2 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Isn't the reason of why the Co federations Cup was created was to play against each regional association champion?? Or is the Confederations Cup being scrapped??

It's also because it's an interesting match that people would pay a lot of money to see. The Chilean federation would get a good pay day because of that.

15 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Apparently such match was all but a ruse from CONMEBOL as UEFA now says no such discussions have taken place. 

15 hours ago, The Ref said:

Apparently such match was all but a ruse from CONMEBOL as UEFA now says no such discussions have taken place. 

Since most Chile players are in Europe, it could be easily arranged between federations, but not confederations.

I know it would not be significant in terms of results, but neither is the Confed Cup, unfortunately, one of the least interesting tourneys along with the World Club Cup (I am a follower of the current holders, but really, it rarely gives us anything at all of worth).

On 6/27/2016 at 1:01 PM, Ruffian said:

I think our best football development is in Brampton not out West.

In the context of my post, I was referring to Canadian Football (or Canadian Gridiron if you prefer). I thought the fact I referenced soccer after the initial posting would have been sufficient. I don't disagree that for Soccer, Brampton and the GTA is where a good chunk of development happen in our country, however the point I was trying to make is that because we aren't making strides to grow the game as much out West, we are leaving a lot of potential development fruit out there to rot on the vine so to speak.

Archived