Copa América Centenario - June 3rd to 26th 2016

Olympique_de_Marseille

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I bought a package to the group stage + QF New York matches since I'll be there for the QF and what turned out to be my Haiti/Ecuador tickets (of the 12 price tiers my tickets are 8th highest) still ran like $75 USD each.

Completely bonkers.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Anyone noticed how poor attendance has been for matches that don't have the US or Mexico playing?

I am attending the 3 games in Orlando and for the Costa Rica vs Paraguay game there was an announced crowd of just over 14,000 in a 65,000 seat stadium with the majoriy of the fans being Costa Rican supporters. What was interesting is the average american soccer fan ( Orlando City Supporters ) were no were to be seen.

3 hours ago, charlesmazz said:

I am attending the 3 games in Orlando and for the Costa Rica vs Paraguay game there was an announced crowd of just over 14,000 in a 65,000 seat stadium with the majoriy of the fans being Costa Rican supporters. What was interesting is the average american soccer fan ( Orlando City Supporters ) were no were to be seen.

Is it surprising?  Would TFC supporters show up if Bulgaria was playing Eygpt at BMO (to pick two random teams)?  Neither Costa Rica or Paraguay have the star power that would attract the casual soccer fan, or perhaps even the hardcore soccer fan, to come out and watch the match.

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's the ticket prices.

This whole thing just reeks of a cash grab.  Why the heck is a tournament celebrating the history of South American soccer being played in the United States?  Perhaps this is why a whole bunch of the CONEMBOL officials have either been arrested or under the threat of arrest, amongst other things.

It is a fundraiser for CONEMBOL since their former execs ran off with the money.

But they have sold about 1 million tickets already which is on pace to take over the 1.1 million sold in 1979. And given tickets are 5-10x higher, the revenue gain will easily surpass previous Copas.

After 4 matches, the total attendance was 155k which is higher than Chile's 86k last year. Then we had 26k at Jamaica vs Vino Tintos and finally the home team played to basically a sell-out in Glendale. Argentina Chile should be a sell out tonight.

The % sold is hovering below 55% but given they want to maximize revenue, putting the matches of the lesser teams for a better atmosphere in smaller venues is not an option in case 20k+ show up.

On 6/6/2016 at 8:12 PM, AvroArrow said:

This whole thing just reeks of a cash grab.  Why the heck is a tournament celebrating the history of South American soccer being played in the United States?  Perhaps this is why a whole bunch of the CONEMBOL officials have either been arrested or under the threat of arrest, amongst other things.

Could you explain what you mean by a "cash grab", I don't get it. 

If you were playing in more crowded stadiums in South America, with the same teams, wouldn't they be making more money?  They'd have the TV deals and fuller stadiums. Wouldn't that be the real cash grab?

Anyways, if  it is about Comebol corruption, as you say, why wouldn't you set up the competition close to home, far from the American justice system, so you could grab that cash? 

If you wanted to launder, or scam, or take a slice of the pie directly, you would be better to do so where you knew how the system worked. Unless you are saying Comebol also rules in the US, pretty impressive that would be.

In any case, some would say the corruption in Concacaf rivals and surpasses Comebol, from what the evidence shows.

I can appreciate some people don't like this tournament, for whatever reason, but why don't you just come out and say what you really think, AvroArrow?

What in the history of soccer is not a 'cash grab'? Why is this Euro Cup 24 teams large this year? I don't understand why this cup is getting a lot of shit either. I would love for this cup, with full qualifiers, to become a permanent thing. It would be great for Canada.

Every tournament has been a cash grab since FIFA's creation. And this has arguably been the best Copa yet. Great goals, Great Attendance (15k more attendance on average than last years), and the passion from the players has been amazing, like the world cup tournament. And typical fighting amongst /Ref abusing like every other Copa America.  The Copa has been a success.  

On topic about the tournament. USA's defending even with a man down was spectacular. I wouldn't mind seeing that from Canada even if we had to put all 11 behind the ball. That's how you defend a result. Literally Paraguay with 10 men against Colombia look more lethal than they did today against the US down to 10 men. Mexico also has been pretty good. One of the favorites for sure this tournament. 

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could you explain what you mean by a "cash grab", I don't get it. 

If you were playing in more crowded stadiums in South America, with the same teams, wouldn't they be making more money?  They'd have the TV deals and fuller stadiums. Wouldn't that be the real cash grab?

Anyways, if  it is about Comebol corruption, as you say, why wouldn't you set up the competition close to home, far from the American justice system, so you could grab that cash? 

If you wanted to launder, or scam, or take a slice of the pie directly, you would be better to do so where you knew how the system worked. Unless you are saying Comebol also rules in the US, pretty impressive that would be.

In any case, some would say the corruption in Concacaf rivals and surpasses Comebol, from what the evidence shows.

I can appreciate some people don't like this tournament, for whatever reason, but why don't you just come out and say what you really think, AvroArrow?

I don't get what you are implying.  Why don't you just come out and say it?

Is the United States a member of Conmebol?  No.  Has the United States played a vital role in establishing soccer as one of the most popular sports in South America and Conmebol feels that the United States should host the tournament as a sign of gratitude?  No.  Did the United States invent soccer so Conmebol took the tournament there as a sign of respect?  No.

I do recall the U.S. sending B teams when they were invited to previous Copa Americas, so obviously the US Soccer Federation doesn't always take the tournament very serious either.

So why is the United States hosting a Conembol centential tournament?  This would be like CFL hosting the Grey Cup in Orlando.  Or are these just glorified exhibition games, so who cares who hosts them?  And if they are, why should I care?

11 hours ago, mrstepp817 said:

This is a cash grab but the soccer has been pretty entertaining and attendance has been very good....this has been a big success for all involved...

I agree, this competition has been great. If they end up having another Copa where all Concacaf teams have the chance to qualify, I will be very excited about Canada potentially being there. If again only six CONCACAF teams make it this is at least a better chance than making the World Cup, which I still have hope Canada will qualify for.

I also hope they can grab as much cash as possible while doing this.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I agree, this competition has been great. If they end up having another Copa where all Concacaf teams have the chance to qualify, I will be very excited about Canada potentially being there. If again only six CONCACAF teams make it this is at least a better chance than making the World Cup, which I still have hope Canada will qualify for.

I also hope they can grab as much cash as possible while doing this.

All CONCACAF teams did have a chance to qualify for this, though Canada only had one chance (at the Gold Cup) vs the other countries (automatic or Gold Cup + Caribbean Cup/Copa Centroamericana). 

I'm really in favor of the regular Copa expanding to 16 teams so the CONMEBOL teams take it a bit more seriously and the players aren't burned out with a tournament virtually every summer. And the US should absolutely not be hosting it every time.

1 hour ago, mrstepp817 said:

No reason US should host every time..but I love the idea of a joint tournament...its been a lot of fun to watch....

If I am not mistaken only 2 games have been shown on TV available in Canada.  Having to watch shaky streams on the internet is not all that fun for me.

I'm assuming the first 2 games you're referring 2 were on Fox on the opening weekend. Fox also showed the Argentina-Panama game last Friday night, albeit on a delay. I believe they're also planning to show more.

Any combined tournament would be well advised to avoid going up against the Euro though. I'm sure that's impacted revenue from TV & sponsorship.

Archived