Jump to content

Copa América Centenario - June 3rd to 26th 2016


Recommended Posts

I'm starting a new thread for this. All previous versions were in the CMNT section. Since we now know that Canada won't be in it, it is sadly no longer the place to talk about it. :(

Previous threads can be found here:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/21211-16-team-copa-america-including-concacaf-proposed/
http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/25023-copa-america-2016-6-concacaf-teams-discussion/
http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/26898-2016-copa-america-centenario/
http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/28705-official-2016-copa-america-in-the-us/

 

home-marquee-logo-340x_.png

The draw will likely be in late January. Seeding is based on December 2015 rankings with the USA, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil already seeded (Pot 1) .

Chile     1273
Colombia  1211
Uruguay   1074
Ecuador   1040
----------------- ↑↑ (Pot 2)
Costa Rica 759
Paraguay   647
Peru          644
Jamaica    591

----------------- ↑↑ (Pot 3)
Panama     544
Bolivia      500
Haiti           467
Venezuela 408

↑↑(Pot 4)↑↑

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

Copa América Centenario qualifying play-offs in Panama City on January 8th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjUgQ2PY0TM

If T&T beats Haiti, they will be in Pot 3. If Haiti beats T & T, they will be in Pot 4. Game in will be on Friday January 9th at 5:36pm EST (I will be cheering for Haiti, Blackdude too I imagine ;) )

The winner of Panama vs Cuba will be in Pot 4. Game in will be on Friday January 9th at 8:36pm EST

 

Play-off drama:

Panama vs Cuba: I've heard nothing. Panama looks good. Cuba has sucked, losing 3 straight in December to Nicaragua(x2) and Honduras. With Panama playing at home I expect a solid win for them.

 

T&T vs Haiti. Oh boy!

T & T players were going to go on strike over pay, but that has since been resolved.

One of their players (was in their 23 man list for WCQ) Keron Cummings has been shot in the leg (!) and thus ruled out:

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20151227/news/tt-player-shot-in-leg

They will be without their captain and star player Kenwyne Jones and also "Chicago Fire defender Sheldon Bateau." (this makes no sense to me because it's Joevin Jones who plays for Chicago).

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2015-12-27/soca-warriors-go-camp-today

Haiti recently let their coach's (Marc Collat) contract lapse on Dec 31st after two loses in November in WCQ and after he said things about Haitian's being undisciplined that likely crossed the line and entered into racist territory.

http://lenouvelliste.com/lenouvelliste/article/152995/Fin-de-parcours-pour-Marc-Collat

They have just hired Patrice Neveu, who was Mauritania coach when Canada played them twice in Spain in September 2013

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Patrice-neveu-nomme-selectionneur-d-haiti/618959

http://canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=csa_project&sid=951

At one point, they offered Raymond Domenech the job, and he said yes but then changed his mind after his wife didn't like the idea! :D

http://www.loophaiti.com/content/fhf-raymond-domenech-refuse-les-grenadiers

My verdict: If Neveu can get Haiti's shit together, then Haiti can beat T&T. T&T is still the slight favourite IMO.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panama won easily vs Cuba (as expected). I'll update the first post; the field is set.

Spanish language media are saying the draw will be February 11th.

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/deportes/2015/12/656-660346-9-el-colosal-estadio-que-albergara-la-final-de-la-copa-america-centenario-2016.shtml

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be all alone about this, but I find myself very disinterested in this tournament.  In fact, I'm very cynical towards it.  Perhaps if Canada was in it, I'd be more curious but I don't think that it really has any credibility.

That the 100th anniversary of the Copa America is being celebrated with a tournament in the USA is a little offensive when you think about it.  This isn't about celebration, or reaching out to fans, it's about money.  And that's what irks me.

I think I've said before that if this was the new format of the tournament, I'd buy right in.  But it's not, it's just a special money-grab.  So, I'll watch because it's kind of fun, but a really big part of me will be unhappy with how it's all going down. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RJB said:

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be all alone about this, but I find myself very disinterested in this tournament.  In fact, I'm very cynical towards it.  Perhaps if Canada was in it, I'd be more curious but I don't think that it really has any credibility.

That the 100th anniversary of the Copa America is being celebrated with a tournament in the USA is a little offensive when you think about it.  This isn't about celebration, or reaching out to fans, it's about money.  And that's what irks me.

I think I've said before that if this was the new format of the tournament, I'd buy right in.  But it's not, it's just a special money-grab.  So, I'll watch because it's kind of fun, but a really big part of me will be unhappy with how it's all going down. 

 

I think you are missing a key point: in hispanic/Spanish culture both N and S America are the Americas, and this idea is very strong, the idea that there is a unity. Effectively it is also seen as a potential political lobby, as a force for democracy (if you don't know how things have changed in the last decades, take a look, there are a lot of openings and new opportunities for justice).

This is why for so many years they have invited Mexico or even had Mexian teams in S American club tournaments, Mexico is part of "America". So this Centenary is their way of affirming an idea of America that was not possible as long as the States was not competitive in football or disintersted.

So perhaps, yes, there is a financial motivation putting it in the States. Remember that it is rotated in S America and every 20 years you get it whoever you are in Comebol, it has been shared around a lot. This takes it to a market that is big and happens to feature people from all 10 Comebol nations, plus the Concacaf nations too. 

Yet there is also an idea that you are building a brand and an identity, the "America" football brand as led from the south to the north. And the identity of sharing a region and certain experiences.

So Copa America in the States is a rare case of values transferring from the south north and not the other way, and symbolically has a lot of meaning for those below the Rio Grande.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RJB said:

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be all alone about this, but I find myself very disinterested in this tournament.  In fact, I'm very cynical towards it.  Perhaps if Canada was in it, I'd be more curious but I don't think that it really has any credibility.

That the 100th anniversary of the Copa America is being celebrated with a tournament in the USA is a little offensive when you think about it.  This isn't about celebration, or reaching out to fans, it's about money.  And that's what irks me.

I think I've said before that if this was the new format of the tournament, I'd buy right in.  But it's not, it's just a special money-grab.  So, I'll watch because it's kind of fun, but a really big part of me will be unhappy with how it's all going down. 

 

I agree completely with this, it is going to be the same mess, only combining the worst of the Gold Cup and the Copa America. Bad refereeing, bad administration, poor disciplinary decisions. I live in Argentina, love international football, and have been to he last 3 Copas, but I will be watching the Euros almost exclusively.

I agree with Unnamed Trialist in theory, and admire his football knowledge, but as much as I try to be positive, you have to know there is going to be a cl^sterf^ck along the way with this Copa that will leave a false taste in the mouth. For me, it is a chance for Argentina to finally win an international tournament legitimately, even if it is only 5th rate, and for that I would be very happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey beachsl, I know that Copa America, being every 2 years, is rarely top quality in terms of all teams featuring their best players at their best. So you are right that the Eurocup quality is clearly higher, being every 4 years and with a higher standard to qualify (no qualifying in Comebol), plus the charm of teams who have never or rarely made it this year....

But...that is the difference between Copa and Euro all the time, as long as I can remember. The Copa America has rarely been that definitive kind of tournament. This version will definitely look a lot higher profile and ambitious than anything seen in recent years. Until now with 12 teams the two best third place teams went through, for this version only the first two of each of 4 groups do: so that raises the level in the knockout stage as well.

I think there is no reason to think Argentina has it any easier to win this version than any other. They underplayed vs. Chile, as they underplayed the WC final, they have not been mentally prepared to win internationally for quite a while now. And I don't think they will find this Copa easy either.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hey beachsl, I know that Copa America, being every 2 years, is rarely top quality in terms of all teams featuring their best players at their best. So you are right that the Eurocup quality is clearly higher, being every 4 years and with a higher standard to qualify (no qualifying in Comebol), plus the charm of teams who have never or rarely made it this year....

But...that is the difference between Copa and Euro all the time, as long as I can remember. The Copa America has rarely been that definitive kind of tournament. This version will definitely look a lot higher profile and ambitious than anything seen in recent years. Until now with 12 teams the two best third place teams went through, for this version only the first two of each of 4 groups do: so that raises the level in the knockout stage as well.

I think there is no reason to think Argentina has it any easier to win this version than any other. They underplayed vs. Chile, as they underplayed the WC final, they have not been mentally prepared to win internationally for quite a while now. And I don't think they will find this Copa easy either.

The copa America is every 4 years just like the euro and it does show case top talent from abroad and from South America. Players in South America train their whole lives to olay in a copa America. This is back to back because of the year that the tournament fell on its anniversary. I think it's a good trophy to have on ur mantal. Only once in a life time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, I_love_the_beautiful_game said:

The copa America is every 4 years just like the euro and it does show case top talent from abroad and from South America. Players in South America train their whole lives to olay in a copa America. This is back to back because of the year that the tournament fell on its anniversary. I think it's a good trophy to have on ur mantal. Only once in a life time!

Actually it has only been every 4 years twice, the last and next to last. Then once way back when they cancelled a tournament, in the pre-Copa era. So that is totally new as a system, and we'll see if it ends up that way. After all, the Centenary breaks the rule again, two successive years, then three to the next in Brazil.

The entire history of the Copa has been annual or every two or three even. But more frequent than the Eurocup and thus less pressure on a single edition. That idea, of 12 or more  teams every four, is the new Copa, and it is far from  being set in stone.

The Eurocup has been so regular and so clearly an off year from the WC from the start. And that is the clear difference in the perception of the strength of one and the other tournament.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

CTV has the rights to Copa America in Canada? Are they going to cancel usual shows for this? I am thinking we won't get to see many of these games with CTV owning the contract.

CTV is owned by Bell. TSN is 80% owned by Bell. We may see games moved over to TSN. TSN likely didn't bid because ESPN (that owns the other 20%)  didn't want to take on the risk. Wikipedia says Radio-Canada picked up the French Language rights; interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Is it on CTV? I've seen nothing announcing where the event will happen. And if it's on Radio-Canada, I've heard nothing on that matter.

I got the original info from this article

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/copa-america-2015-tv-channels-worldwide/

I believe it was originally listed CTV on wiki also (I think) but now has changed to not including English coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_Centenario

Edited by Ruffian
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I got the original info from this article

http://www.totalsportek.com/football/copa-america-2015-tv-channels-worldwide/

I believe it was originally listed CTV on wiki also (I think) but now has changed to not including English coverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_Centenario

I don't believe that. because if it was on CTV, we would have heard about it. Plus Univision having the French brodcast makes no sense at all. If any network said that they had the rights in Canada, I'd believe them, but I've seen nothing of the sort. 

Edited by Blackdude
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were in Canada I would definitely go, I think it is going to be a great competition. The quality of players is very high, the level is close to Eurocup this year.

I dunno, I don't get the lack of interest apart from Canada not being involved. I watch Suarez and Messi every week, and would still love to see either with their national team (I saw Argentina once, in a non-FIFA friendly, years ago).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...