Le camp poutine 2016: Jan 25th- Feb 6th (Who would you like to see?)

Now that we know we have a camp Poutine for 2016, this thread is more about the camp itself and the players rather than the specific game vs the USA at the end.

Who would you like to see? What can Benito do to "improve our levels"?

Some players:

If the Campeonato Uruguayo follows the format of the year before, the clausura will start a week after the camp finishes; Lucas Cavallini could be there for the camp but if the club's contract says he needs to be in Uruguay to prepare for the 2nd half of the season there isn't much the CSA can do. I'd like to see him though.

Iain Hume. What's he doing after India? Give him a call I say.

Olivier Occean. Call him too. The Tippeligaen doesn't start up again until March 13th. Don't leave him the Odd man out again ;)

Adam Straith should be there and Simon Thomas too.

Is Hirschfeld done? I think this was his last season for Vålerenga. Not sure it's worth bringing him in.

The Swedish league starts again in April, so we should have Stamatopoulos.

What about Dejan Jakovic? The J2 should start up again in March. Is he staying with Shimizu?

If Simeon Jackson doesn't have a club in January I say we should call him, however, Lee Johnson (Barnsley's manager) is hinting that there is a chance Jackson could stay at the club past Jan 3rd.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/sport/article/11401/boss-wants-to-keep-most-of-the-short-term-players

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since 24 were called up last winter, heres my take:

GOALKEEPERS:

Simon Thomas (Bodø/Glimt), Kenny Stamatopolous (AIK), Maxime Crepeau (Montreal Impact)

DEFENDERS:

Dejan Jakovic (Shimizu S-Pulse), Marcel De Jong (Sporting KC), Manjrekar James (Diósgyőr), Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC) Karl Ouimette (NY Redbulls), Adam Straith (Fredrikstad), Wandrille Leferve (Montreal Impact), Jonathan Grant (FC Montreal?)

MIDFIELDERS:

Julian De Guzman (Ottawa Fury), Will Johnson (Toronto FC :) ), Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC), Patrice Bernier (Montreal Impact), Russel Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps), Kyle Bekker (Montreal Impact), Maxim Tissot (Montreal Impact),  Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Richie Laryea (Akron Univ)

FORWARDS:

Cyle Larin (Orlando City), Ian Hume (Atlético de Kolkata), Oliver Occean (Odds BK), Jordan Hamilton

We definitely should have a stronger team this time around compared to last years team which consisted of players who were affiliated with Unattached FC.

41 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Manjrekar James (Diósgyőr)

Why would he be there? The Nemzeti Bajnokság plays a Fall/Winter schedule. Is there a late January or February break?

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

...a guy like Osorio to get a call back to the team you would think...

He should. I didn't mind too much that he hadn't been called recently; I was not amongst those who were outraged. This time though, he should get a call.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Manjrekar James (Diósgyőr)

36 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Hungary starts on February the 12th.

You guys are right! My bad. It took me some time to find a schedule of the Hungarian league.

http://www.eredmenyek.com/foci/magyarorszag/otp-bank-liga/meccsek/

So James is in a similar situation to Cavallini perhaps.

Fred (or anyone else), could you find out when the Campeonato Uruguayo (clausura) starts? I just looked at last year's schedule. I couldn't find anything for 2016.

1 hour ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Since 24 were called up last winter, heres my take:

GOALKEEPERS:

Simon Thomas (Bodø/Glimt), Kenny Stamatopolous (AIK), Maxime Crepeau (Montreal Impact)

DEFENDERS:

Dejan Jakovic (Shimizu S-Pulse), Marcel De Jong (Sporting KC), Manjrekar James (Diósgyőr), Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC) Karl Ouimette (NY Redbulls), Adam Straith (Fredrikstad), Wandrille Leferve (Montreal Impact), Jonathan Grant (FC Montreal?)

MIDFIELDERS:

Julian De Guzman (Ottawa Fury), Will Johnson (Toronto FC :) ), Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC), Patrice Bernier (Montreal Impact), Russel Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps), Kyle Bekker (Montreal Impact), Maxim Tissot (Montreal Impact),  Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Richie Laryea (Akron Univ)

FORWARDS:

Cyle Larin (Orlando City), Ian Hume (Atlético de Kolkata), Oliver Occean (Odds BK), Jordan Hamilton

We definitely should have a stronger team this time around compared to last years team which consisted of players who were affiliated with Unattached FC.

Decent list but I would personally make a couple of amendments.

- Osorio for Laryea, and if Jono is indeed not in the plans (for whatever reason), then call Froese. In the event he's also not available, bring in either Bustos, Boakai or Aleman (my preference).

- No Jonathan Grant. He struggled at the U-23 level, so what value is there for bringing him in when he's not ready? If Arid is not out on loan, and is still out of favour at Rangers, we HAVE to bring him in before Grant. I would even bring in Attakora before Grant, because at least he has enough experience as a professional to actually be an option for WCQ (in the event of an injury crisis).

- I am warming up to the idea of Hume, and as everyone knows I am a proponent of bringing back Occean considering the season he just had, but if Cavallni is available, we need to take him. I would actually drop Hamilton, he can't even dominate USL, let alone break into his MLS team.

*** if we're considering a young forward like Hamilton, shouldn't we look at the kid at Hearts, if they're willing to release him? Dario Zanetta I believe his name is? He's seen more minutes for a pretty decent SPL side than Hamilton saw MLS minutes.

Would love to see Arfield and that English Div 1 keeper.

I think the core team that will play in March should be there, no point in calling a developmental squad so I don't expect a lot of prospects but if the roster can be larger than for normal WCQs, after the obvious ommissions in Osorio, Cavallini and Petrasso - Laryea would be interesting to have a look at.  Zanatta is another fast riser who is really getting some love at Hearts (link) as mentioned.

2 hours ago, Footscray said:

Would love to see Arfield and that English Div 1 keeper.

I think the core team that will play in March should be there, no point in calling a developmental squad so I don't expect a lot of prospects but if the roster can be larger than for normal WCQs, after the obvious ommissions in Osorio, Cavallini and Petrasso - Laryea would be interesting to have a look at.  Zanatta is another fast riser who is really getting some love at Hearts (link) as mentioned.

I too would love to see Begovic in this camp!... When someone says Div 1 they are referring to the #1 league which is the Premier League. Proper name is League 1 ;) for league you are talking about.

I posted this in the other thread, but I would love to see Caniggia Elva, assuming he is eligible via the CSA asking for an exemption for him (if I understand that right). Regular appearances in the 3. Bundesliga at 19, he's in the conversation for our best prospect at the U-20 level right now.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

I posted this in the other thread, but I would love to see Caniggia Elva, assuming he is eligible via the CSA asking for an exemption for him (if I understand that right). Regular appearances in the 3. Bundesliga at 19, he's in the conversation for our best prospect at the U-20 level right now.

It would be nice but I don't get why he would be there though:

1)VfB Stuttgart II have games throughout the camp dates; he's not off. The 3. Liga will be in full swing. Why would they let him go?

2) Paperwork for the CSA when I'm sure they will only ask FIFA to bend the rules if we REALLY need a player. Why would they do this for a prospect who has club games during our camp anyways.

3) It's way cheaper to fly down the Whitecaps players that are more likely to join the #CanMNT soon like Bustos, Adekubge, Froese etc

0% chance he's there IMO.

6 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Michael Petrasso (if he is out of favour with his manager)

I actually think that this is more likely. They let him go to Olympic Qualifiers when they took up more than the FIFA dates. It would possible, but bad news for him at QPR.

Some outsiders could be Milovan Kapor who plays for Podbrezova in the Slovak 1st division and Stefan Cebara (Zlate Moravce) who also plays in the Slovak 1st division.

The 1st division restarts on February 27th, so they would both be in the middle of winter training during the Canadian camp.  However, perhaps their clubs wouldn't be too happy to see them fly across the ocean for a non-fifa date match?  

Of the two, I would say that Cebara would be more likely since he already has a few caps.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It would be nice but I don't get why he would be there though:

1)VfB Stuttgart II have games throughout the camp dates; he's not off. The 3. Liga will be in full swing. Why would they let him go?

2) Paperwork for the CSA when I'm sure they will only ask FIFA to bend the rules if we REALLY need a player. Why would they do this for a prospect who has club games during our camp anyways.

3) It's way cheaper to fly down the Whitecaps players that are more likely to join the #CanMNT soon like Bustos, Adekubge, Froese etc

0% chance he's there IMO.

Your first point is legit but I think points 2 and 3 are way off base. If he is eligible and they think they can get FIFA approval then they should be doing the paperwork and getting him involved in the program as soon as possible. Even if Stuttgart is not willing to release him they should get the paperwork done so that he is available if we need him. Not to do so would be absolute incompetence. And if he were eligible and made available by Stuttgart he definitely should be called in to a camp where most of our Europe based players will not be available. A promising 19 year old already getting playing time in B3 and signed to a big German club is definitely a possible player for this WCQ cycle. I suspect he won't be there because of either or both of not having the FIFA clearance or not getting released but if it is at all possible for him to be there the CSA should be doing everything in their power to get him there.

8 minutes ago, king1010 said:

wow. definitely would like to see hume get called up for camp poutine. maybe even for WCQ. ahead of haber as cavillini could fill habers roll

This is rapidly become my choice of three strikers. I think Hume would provide a huge positive for Larin. Not a lot of old dogs to help mentor up front since Larin has been told he's the man.

Archived