Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Game vs USA February 5th, Carson, California

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Bekker was fine. Not sure why he's being scapegoated here and I'm not even a Bekker fan

The midfield was pathetic. No ability to create chances or linkup with attackers.

LoL

Where do you think Bekker was playing?

With the current system, the only way we are going to score goals in the upcoming WCQ games depend on the individual skills of Hoilett. The only way I can see an improvement on the attack, with this unbalanced defensive system, is the addition of Arfield as the other winger. Without another winger with similar talent to Hoilett's, I don't see Canada scoring against Mexico. I hope the players prove me I'm wrong of course.

Also I have to ask this:

Was it just me or was there a blatant foul on Larin on the edge of their box in the first half?  I'm talking studs to the back of the leg yellow challenge by Jones?

If there's one thing that irritates me it's when calls simply aren't made because they're in dangerous positions.  You can bet if it was us on Altidore it would be a foul 10/10.  

3 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

LoL

Where do you think Bekker was playing?

Honestly Bekker wasn't bad and should not be diss like that overall. I do hope Bekker can get lots of minutes this season because his vision is there just gotta get games under his belt. With more games his passing will catch up with his vision because I saw attempt some good passes just wasn't connecting on them.  Akindele is not a mid and should be played alongside Larin. It is a frustrating lost tonight for Canada but they held up well for the most part. This should of been a camp with much more youngsters playing and heck should of had two games like US did. Can't wait to see what happens against Mexico can Canada get a point that's the question....

1 minute ago, canucklefan said:

With the current system, the only way we are going to score goals in the upcoming WCQ games depend on the individual skills of Hoilett. The only way I can see an improvement on the attack, with this unbalanced defensive system, is the addition of Arfield as the other winger. Without another winger with similar talent to Hoilett's, I don't see Canada scoring against Mexico. I hope the players prove me I'm wrong of course.

You mean from open play of course?  

We have as good a chance of scoring a PK as an open play goal.  Our goals will come from set pieces in WCQ... with De Jong we have a good left boot and we have some big bodies up top, Vitoria is a monster and makes Jermaine Jones look small... Edgar and Larin aren't small either.  If Hoilett and Ricketts can win us a few free kicks I'm confident we'll score on Mexico.

3 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Honestly Bekker wasn't bad and should not be diss like that overall. I do hope Bekker can get lots of minutes this season because his vision is there just gotta get games under his belt. With more games his passing will catch up with his vision because I saw attempt some good passes just wasn't connecting on them.  Akindele is not a mid and should be played alongside Larin. It is a frustrating lost tonight for Canada but they held up well for the most part. This should of been a camp with much more youngsters playing and heck should of had two games like US did. Can't wait to see what happens against Mexico can Canada get a point that's the question....

I too like Akindele more as a second striker rather than an attacking mid.

1 minute ago, Keegan said:

Also I have to ask this:

Was it just me or was there a blatant foul on Larin on the edge of their box in the first half?  I'm talking studs to the back of the leg yellow challenge by Jones?

If there's one thing that irritates me it's when calls simply aren't made because they're in dangerous positions.  You can bet if it was us on Altidore it would be a foul 10/10.  

The penalty/free kick appeal?

Looked a clear foul. That said Larin handled it just before. Which is why it probably wasn't given.

It highlights a common problem with referees. Regardless of the Larin handball it should still be a yellow card. 

3 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Floro's mentality of playing games to not lose is pretty depressing at this point. We didn't even create any chances. How is that okay? We are organized but that's it. 

We created chances to create chances.... 

That's not on Floro.  When we win the ball at the half and have repeated odd man breaks and we can't create that's on the professionals on the pitch.  When we cross directly to Bingham that's on the players.  When De Guzman takes a horrible first touch in the box... etc. etc.

Floro was spot on with tactics tonight IMO.  Our performance dropped because he gave players chances and that's what this match was all about, so I can't see how he gets any blame for the performance.  

3 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Floro's mentality of playing games to not lose is pretty depressing at this point. We didn't even create any chances. How is that okay? We are organized but that's it. 

Yes it is depressing because I think Canada had what 2 shots on goal. This is a friendly and Canada should or could be doing more offensively. Floro is doing what he thinks is best for Canada to qualify but damn at least experiment a bit during friendlies to just see if your players can do more than expected....

Would be nice to see 4-1-3-2  

We dropped Straith back and put Bekker in midfield.

From that point on, we were overrun in midfield.  Straith, while limited going forward, does a good job protecting the back four.

Bekker does make a decent pass every once in a while, but in the meantime his defense is severely lacking and provides little else to help the team.

7 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Add in service from Hutch with Hoillet and possibly Arfield you have a whole different attack.

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

You mean from open play of course?  

We have as good a chance of scoring a PK as an open play goal.  Our goals will come from set pieces in WCQ... with De Jong we have a good left boot and we have some big bodies up top, Vitoria is a monster and makes Jermaine Jones look small... Edgar and Larin aren't small either.  If Hoilett and Ricketts can win us a few free kicks I'm confident we'll score on Mexico.

What can I say. I think you have faith in Floro and his system. I respect that, but I believe that a tactician should not rely on PK and FK to win games. As for considering Vitoria a monster, then Mexico have a few Godzilla or whatever.

3 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

What can I say. I think you have faith in Floro and his system. I respect that, but I believe that a tactician should not rely on PK and FK to win games. As for considering Vitoria a monster, then Mexico have a few Godzilla or whatever.

What?

He was talking about height.   Mexico do not have anyone as tall as Vitoria.

By the end of the match it was a bit of a mis-match on the field, so perhaps not surprising that we conceded late. They are putting on MLS all-stars at the end while we countered with, well, with what we had at the end. If this wasn't a friendly and only 3 subs were used, even with the under-strength squad this ends in a draw. That is largely down to defensive shape(given that our starting keeper & central defenders had all of one cap between them before this game, it says a lot as to how organized they were), and that, plus the play of Crepeau, were positives for me. Actually so was the play of Vitoria which does give us another option at the back.

Negatives - right back. Henry hadn't played a game at right back in probably two years and it showed, and yet he was still a better attacking option going forward than Ledgerwood who killed the attack on the right side in the first half at every opportunity he was given. And overall sometimes I think we are a little too happy to settle for a 0-0 draw, although I won't be complaining if we do that and succeed in Mexico.

7 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

If you can't score from open play how can you win games?  Canada can't... not under Floro, Miller, Hart, Mitchell, Yallop, Osieck or Guardiola.  We simply can't and an international manager must adapt to the style of his players.. the players can't adapt to the style of their manager.  Look at Claudio Ranieri... was fired from Greece during one of the worst qualifying campaigns ever and is now leading the EPL with Leicester.

That doesn't mean we should ever try to stop scoring from open play but if our chances are low it's much more sensible to play conservative and prevent being opened up on counters so that we are in with a chance.  If we had to get results every match based on open play goals we would be finished. 

Maybe in the future our young players can change our footballing identity but for now if we want to go to 2018 we need to play the style that works.  Floro's style has us sitting undefeated in WCQ thus far.  

Edited by Keegan

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

If you can't score from open play how can you win games?  Canada can't... not under Floro, Miller, Hart, Mitchell, Yallop, Osieck or Guardiola.  We simply can't and an international manager must adapt to the style of his players.. the players can't adapt to the style of their manager.  Look at Claudio Ranieri... was fired from Greece during one of the worst qualifying campaigns ever and is now leading the EPL with Leicester.  

Maybe in the future our young players can change our footballing identity but for now if we want to go to 2018 we need to play the style that works.  Floro's style has us sitting undefeated in WCQ thus far.  

Sure Floro's tactics have us undefeated but it also gave us 2 draws in Central America that really should have been wins.

Add Vittoria and Hume to the roster for the set of qualifiers versus Mexico, no use for guys like Bekker and Issey , I can even see a Vittoria starting in the middle with Edgar, I thought Vittoria did well tonight and no he played no part IMO on the U.S. goal. This team could use a stronger right back but at the moment they don't really have a solid right back unfortunately . Floro has basically decided that the only way this team stands a chance of advancing is by playing a very defensive style of game because I don't think he believes he has the players to play a more attacking style of soccer so defense will rule the day with this team.

Edited by 1996

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Sure Floro's tactics have us undefeated but it also gave us 2 draws in Central America that really should have been wins.

3 matches in Central America so far (Panama, Belize, El Salvador)... 3 draws.  We'll take that all day.  If we can make it 4 against Honduras we're in the Hex.

Edited by Keegan

Maybe I'm in the minority here but that game really didn't bother me that much. The late goal obviously stung but we were playing a pretty wacky lineup at the back by the time that goal was scored.

Wasn't expecting high flying attacking soccer. This is a dress rehearsal for parking the bus against mexico.