Game vs USA February 5th, Carson, California

Alex

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

Meh.  Devos going off on Henry for that goal was him just trying to justify a narrative.  A better question would be who were Straith and Vitoria covering?  Adekugbe had two guys and had to come from behind to try to get in Altidore's way while Straith was doing his best to cover Crepeau.

narrative is correct though IMO. 

not blaming henry at all. he hasn't played in a year and he's out of position. I just think its clear he shouldn't be utilized at rightback 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't know why Canada is so afraid to attack or why they pass back to the goalkeepers?? I initially thought it was Russell Tiebert flaw but have seen it many times for Canada.  Don't know if rhe kids are taught to be conservative or pass it back, but that has got to stop moving forward in the academies.  I really hope Kyle Bekker isn't called up anynore.  Time and time again all attacks die with him or he fucks up making a short pass, when it should be long, etc.. The USA is now definitely miles ahead of us.  Doubt we'll ever catch up to their level of skill, even if we had a domestic league.  The only bright spot was our goalie saving our bacon.  Time and time again, Canada trains great goalkeepers.  I really hope TFC, VWFC or IMFC have an amazing No. 10 player in the youth ranks.  This player selection might not get us to the Hex anytime soon.  

i don't know why Canada is so afraid to attack or why they pass back to the goalkeepers?? I initially thought it was Russell Tiebert flaw but have seen it many times for Canada.  Don't know if rhe kids are taught to be conservative or pass it back, but that has got to stop moving forward in the academies.  I really hope Kyle Bekker isn't called up anynore.  Time and time again all attacks die with him or he fucks up making a short pass, when it should be long, etc.. The USA is now definitely miles ahead of us.  Doubt we'll ever catch up to their level of skill, even if we had a domestic league.  The only bright spot was our goalie saving our bacon.  Time and time again, Canada trains great goalkeepers.  I really hope TFC, VWFC or IMFC have an amazing No. 10 player in the youth ranks.  This player selection might not get us to the Hex anytime soon.  

Just now, canucklefan said:

I saw a starting XI missing 2-3 players that should start against Mexico in March. Not a B team IMO.

But also a starting XI the bulk of which is barely in to pre-season, while the US has been playing for a bit.. They'll have had more game action by the time the Mexico game comes around.

1 minute ago, canucklefan said:

I saw a starting XI missing 2-3 players that should start against Mexico in March. Not a B team IMO.

hutchinson, edgar, hoilett, borjan, potentially arfield, ricketts, jakovic 

depends what you classify as a B team. a full lineup of 2nd stringers. or half a lineup of 2nd stringers

3 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

Definitely more than two. 

Borjan, Hutchinson, Edgar, Hoilett..

Plus you've got guys returning from injury who have barely played... 

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Never will I understand posts like these.

So you don't think the US was clearly superior? They created quality chances all night - did we even get a shot on goal?? 

I mran, if that ends a draw the US is disappointed and Canada is estacitc. They outplayed us in every facet. Period 

5 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

Yea but those 3 players are Hutchinson, Hoilett and Arfield (come at me). Arguably our 3 best players.

2 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Tiebert used to be the opposite imo. It was changing him to DM that screwed him. You could see how conflicted he was in wanting to run and pass forward but instead passing back or sideways. 

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Bull.  That's just you and Floortom racing to be the first to say "I told you so." 

I don't understand "setting my bias aside".  I am not a "neutral" nor will I ever be for a Canada game.

You can assume what you want but the fact remains in my earlier statement. Any poster not clouded by bias knows the result was deserved. Hilarious to even argue it. 

We didn't play bad honestly.  Shame we conceded that late but it's a lesson learned.  

Bekker, Ledgerwood and Henry noticeably weakened us when they came on.  Bekker just doesn't cut it, like I can really see why Floro and co. like him I REALLY can, I'm sure he's phenomenal in training he's technical and great with both feet.  The problem is he has loads of ability clearly but he's just one of those guys that can't do it in a match when it matters... simple.  We have tons of players that can pass it back to the keeper.. remember one step above, "when in doubt kick it out" is "when in doubt pass it back".. that's the calibre of the average Canadian player.  Bekker isn't one of those players but he is also useless going the other way 90% of the time.  I can see why Floro "believes" in him and he's smart to do so because we could use his "potential", but I don't think he'll see time in a WCQ if we're healthy.

Vitoria was impressive, save for his defending on Altidore on the goal but at the same time Henry should have done better to cover his flank and close down the cross... too easy.  

Impressed by: De Guzman, Larin, Akindele and honestly De Jong, damn he put in a few nice challenges I didn't know he had it in him.  

After that performance by Akindele I can't see how Ricketts starts ahead of him, or even Issey who was pretty good.  He showed really well.  

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

hutchinson, edgar, hoilett, borjan, potentially arfield, ricketts, jakovic 

depends what you classify as a B team. a full lineup of 2nd stringers. or half a lineup of 2nd stringers

I was thinking of Hutch, Hoilett and Borjan. For the rest, there's a not a player that we can call a significant upgrade. I hope we see Arfield soon. It would be a significant upgrade too.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Vitoria was impressive, save for his defending on Altidore on the goal but at the same time Henry should have done better to cover his flank and close down the cross... too easy.  

Vitoria was at the front post.  Not his fault at all.

Adekugbe was the one one who went up with Jozy.    Straith was the one who should've been there!!

Archived