Game vs USA February 5th, Carson, California

Alex

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aloyol said:

Honduras almost tied the game in Vancouver on such a FK. My guess is that teams are well aware of our unique way of defending FK, it hasn't resulted in a goal lately but it doesn't mean we should revisit it because we've looked shaky on many such FK in the recent past.

Sorry for questionning Floro tactics.

You're not questioning tactics.  You're saying that it's a foregone conclusion that it'll eventually be our downfall without acknowledging the fact that it has worked so far.

I just can't wait for the armchair experts to point to this when we do eventually get scored on by a free kick (which, regardless of tactics, is pretty likely playing a team of Mexico's caliber).

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

You're not questioning tactics.  You're saying that it's a foregone conclusion that it'll eventually be our downfall without acknowledging the fact that it has worked so far.

Comon, it was my way of questioning it with irony. 

I feel like this might bite us at some point in the process base on the fact that we've looked suspect on many of these. I stand with DeVos on this 100 %. We aren't looking comfortable doing it. But I sure hope we will never get scored on it.

(5 minutes before kickoff, Floro and coaching staff are watching the TSN pregame)

Devos: "...and what worries me most, is our deep defending.  If I was Klinsmann, I'd line up 5 guys along the six-yard box and just tell Bradley to send it in around crossbar height...."

(Floro looks down at his notes for the game)

(looks back up at the TV)

(looks back down at his notes)

Floro: "Oh shit...."

Floro Jr: "They aren't allowed to do that, are they Papi?"

Floro thinks it's better not to risk the offside trap and face the ball the whole free kick, take a few steps into it and meet it.

But this is totally archaic defending as you are all saying. You have to stand up high and keep the attackers away from the goal, make them pay attention to the offiside. Just as the ball is kicked you drop back the defence immediately to get some space and stay with them going forwards. Everyone does this now, it is risky, but it is better than defending deep. You just have to train it, but Floro does not like it as he thinks it's riskier than the other way.

1st half Crepeau good, the two centre defenders, Ledgerwood fine. Froese as well. Julian at times.

Tesho was only there on a few plays.

Did not like De Jong's lax defending, and his passing out was sloppy. I find Larin lazy and nonchalant on a lot of plays, he misses chances because of lack of committment but still can look dangerous at times. Straith was it defensive mid, often on the wrong side of the ball as they ran up the middle, poor positioning. 

We had a bit of the play and some chances, but we do not combine with Larin and he is not a combinant player. The main diff between us and US, as they do combine well up front, we do not.

End of the first half. Ledgerwood has been good on the right, especially on the ball. Great ball over the top early on into De Guzman, who's also stood out for me. De Jong predictably up against it with Zardes. Lefebvre and Vitoria a little shaky but that's predictable given their lack of experience together and the circumstances of this game.

An understandably sloppy game on both sides with the US predictably more dangerous going forward. But overall, not a ton between the teams.

Been impressed with our energy and closing down. It has paid dividends a few times. 

We look susceptible to conceding a goal from the pace and dribbling skills of the U.S. that subsequently cause us to leave holes. But overall defence has been good.

Ledgerwood and Dejong have been ok. Better than I expected as I don't rate one and the other is too slow, carefree and past his best imo. 

Impressed with Lefevre and Vitoria. A couple of slips but intelligent plays and defending a few times.

Archived