Game vs USA February 5th, Carson, California

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone wanna take a stab at an XI for this one?

---------------Larin------------------

Issey------------------------Akindele

--------------Johnson-----------------

-------Ledgerwood---De Guzman-----

De Jong--Vitoria---Henry---Ouimette

---------------Crepeau----------------

That would be interesting IMO.  Not sure if Ledgerwood and Henry are fit enough to start... so maybe we'll see Bekker and Straith in their spots respectively.  Who am I kidding?  We'd probably see them even with an A squad here.

Hopefully there are some minutes for Bustos and Froese.  It's crazy that Crepeau is (likely) going to be starting before he's even played a pro game.  He showed well for our U23s though and last time we played against the US Simon Thomas was in the same position and he had a clean sheet.

I'm assuming we will be starting our best possible line up. Also it is interesting that wikipedia list Hume and De Jong as  midfielders.

----------------Larin-------------------

Farran---------Hume-------Akindele

--De Guzman-------Johnson----------

De Jong---Henry---Lefevre--Ouimette

---------------Crepeau-----------------

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So the US just won 3-2 vs Iceland. They had a few gaps in their defence; I wonder if Canada will be able to exploit them.

On the other end, this will be a really good test for Crépeau, I'm convinced the yanks will get a fair amount of chances against us.

Do you know why they have 2 head coaches?

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about TBH; is the second coach Herzog? He is the US's U-23 coach and there are many young guys in camp.

Iceland has 2 official head coaches. They were both present at the game.

USA beat Iceland 3-2 on an injury time header. I tuned in for the final 15 minutes and it was 1-way traffic for the US.

Iceland called a squad void of nearly all it's first team players, with the majority of the reserves plying their trade in the top divisions of Scandinavia, Iceland and Finland.

USA, as many of you likely know, have called a mix of first team and U-23 MLS-based players. Jordan Morris and I believe Zardes were playing up front, with Micheal Bradley, Tony Tchani, Lee Nguyen and Nagbe in the midfield. Kevin Acosta (FCD) and Orozco (Liga MX) were the outside backs and Biesler and Birnbaum (DCU) were the centre backs. The NYRB keeper was between the pipes. 

20 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Lars Lagerback was a co-coach before at Euro 2004 for Sweden. It's not unheard of.

That was 12 years ago so you can forgive me for never hearing about the idea of a co-coach.

Just now, canta15 said:

That was 12 years ago so you can forgive me for never hearing about the idea of a co-coach.

IIRC they did it because the other coach was retiring and they wanted stability to continue so they had their next coach. Don't know if Iceland did the same, but it's often something like that. I would guess that Lagerback is retiring and that the new coach will take over solo after Euro 2016

Archived