Game vs USA February 5th, Carson, California

Alex

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed. We were chanting his name at Gracies in Ottawa. He may have won the 3rd spot from Simon Thomas. If Leutwiler joins us then Milan may play in March but I would want to see Leutwiler in a June camp.

I think it's too early to say that he's won the third spot yet, but with Crepeau's performance, and Thomas looking to have taken over a starting role in the Norweigan top flight, I feel more comfortable about our depth. Stama has been great this last cycle but when it's over the trio in my mind is Borjan, Thomas and Crepeau, and I'd feel comfortable with any of the 3 starting.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rightback said:

I totally agree with this. I've always liked the pluses that Bekker can bring. There were two or three pass attempts that showed very nice vision that just managed to be cut off by defenders or aren't anticipated by the forward. He's pretty good on a deadball and comfortable in possession. Unfortunately, his defensive abilities are poor, his ambitious passes rarely come off, and doesn't get enough shots on target. I think he would have really been a lot better off in a lower league where he could develop with regular playing time because I don't see him improving sitting on the bench. I also think this of Henry. These two have been playing professionally for years but they aren't getting better. A shame really.

Yes for sure... 

My thoughts about Bekker is he needs Playing Time and has not gotten much over the fews years he has been in MLS. I like what I saw him do in the game but he maybe got two passes connecting with a teammate. He needs those games this year because I think that when he can hit a good form he will come good. Besides this I think having Hutch and Johnson in CDM role with Bekker CM/CAM role would be good if all three are at their best. With Hoillet on the wing and whomever else on the other I can't see why this can't work. Bekker does not need to be a great defensive force in mid but needs to be able to cause a bit of havoc defensively. I think he would be best in the role of a playmaker which Osorio also would be good at this moment. If Bekker gets the pt this year I think he should be part of this WCQ team but if he does not I do hope Osorio can get his chance too. 

D.Henry good to see him on the field and hopefully can remain healthy to hit some good form if he plays for his team. 

Also I feel bad for Larin, because he was on an island for the most part. 

Last thing damn our wide mids got to do better with crossing too many times I saw the first defender get a deflection from those crosses. 

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif

(No Subject)

12:35 PM

clear.gif

To: j_bomb_12@hotmail.com

-8477701153054297423?ck=1&ex=1

Takeaways

1. Crepeau as repeatedly mentioned, very good and deserves more looks. 

2. De Jong defending = yikes. Understand potential quality he can give on a set piece but I think we're in for a long night against Mexico down our left side.

3. Vitoria/Lefevre - pretty solid.

4. DeGuzman - his level raises for Canada but think his influence tends to fade as the game progresses. He's given great years of service to the national team but think a legit question can be asked if he is the best option at defensive mid for World Cup qualifiers.

5. Larin - Fed off scraps for the most part, thought his hold up play improved a bit and he drew the odd foul to relive some pressure. His movement is poor and think he squandered two good opportunities on balls into the boxes he simply didn't react to. Most notably froese volley across the box in the first half he simply didn't anticipate or react to.

6. Henry - Agreed not a right back. Hopefully Aird can put together a solid season with whitecaps. Don't think Ledgerwood is a great option either.

7. Froese/Adekugbe - Decent. Hope they get some solid playing time with whitecaps this year.

Looking at this game didn't expect too much, didn't we had the horses in this camp to make a real influential impact that dictates a game

Most concerning to me was how much the performance dropped with de Guzman at holding mid and Bekker moving into the central mid role with Johnson. In the first half, de Guzman-Johnson-Straith more than held their own vs Bradley-Diskerud. But with the second half move of Straith to centre def, de Guzman looked tired and ineffective at holding mid. He looks to be only capable of playing 50-60 minutes and then only as a more advanced central mid before he has to come out. The good news is that with Hoilett and Arfield both capable of playing inside in a more central role, you could bring in Akindele or Ricketts on left or right mid. 

One other observation: Vittoria is tall, but can he jump more than 6 inches off the ground? I don't think he ever left his feet for a header and missed several opportunities to clear away crosses into the box.

DeJong got beat on a through ball for a goal vs Ghana

DeJong got beat in a through ball for a 1v1 on our keeper vs El Salvador

DeJong got torched a few time by Zardes last night.

he may have a big shot, but he's not a very good LB. he doesn't have any speed, nor tactical awareness.

13 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

DeJong got beat on a through ball for a goal vs Ghana

DeJong got beat in a through ball for a 1v1 on our keeper vs El Salvador

DeJong got torched a few time by Zardes last night.

he may have a big shot, but he's not a very good LB. he doesn't have any speed, nor tactical awareness.

He's terrible defensively.

it's easy to see why he fell out of favour at SKC

Really hard to judge players in a friendly like this, especially in the 2nd half when so many subs and fringe players are on play is even further disjointed. I did like Akindele a lot more last night than in his previous matches, where I felt his workrate was lacking. As much as I don't like to admit it, Vitoria did ok. Straith is a fine player, though better in the back than the holding role.

Since this is Floro's only chance to do a little experimenting, I didn't mind the lineup.  Nice to see some new guys getting a run out.  Crepeau got his chance and did really well, nice to see for the future, I wish TFC Impact or VWC would take a flyer in the MLS on their young CDN keepers.  You never know who will step up.  Vitoria/Lefevre looked pretty good, both earned at least roster spots vs Mexico.  Froese didn't look out of place, Henry was practically orange with rust but wasn't that bad.  Bekker looked better than usual (better than at his club but still a B squad player) and Deguzman was lively in the first half.  Overall, I didn't think we would win, but after 85 min I was dissapointed we couldn't scrap out the draw.  Hopefully Foro had good practices and the boys will be ready for mexico in march.  

I think the choice Floro had was make less subs and go for the draw or give all sorts of guys (Adekugbe, Dixon, Hume, Henry etc.) some time. Bringing on all the subs made things really disjointed and lessened the chances of us getting the result. Personally I'm okay with how it worked out. We proved we could keep a better team from scoring on us for the bulk of the game plus got to see some new guys in action. 

56 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

I think he'll be the first to tell you he's not a LB, even though he's played there a lot. Also Henry is not a RB (even though I can see him playing against Mexico there). 

Overall, loosing narrowly away against the #2 team in Concacaf really isn't hat bad. With this group I'd go as far as to say it is almost a maximum result. Yes they also didn't play their A-team, but it's obvious they have a lot more depth then we do. Personally, I'd take any 0-0 away in WC-qualifiers. The youngsters nearly pulled it off. 

5 hours ago, shermanator said:

I think it's too early to say that he's won the third spot yet, but with Crepeau's performance, and Thomas looking to have taken over a starting role in the Norweigan top flight, I feel more comfortable about our depth. Stama has been great this last cycle but when it's over the trio in my mind is Borjan, Thomas and Crepeau, and I'd feel comfortable with any of the 3 starting.

When this cycle is over? Or, from now on the trio is Milan, Max and Simon? Because right now I wouldn't feel really comfortable seeing Crepeau or Thomas getting in a WCQ game against any of our 3 opponents if Milan was going down injured or got a RC. I would feel Stama is a lot safer option.

It's clearly a positive to see Crepeau can hold his own in a tough situation but IMHO he needs more seasoning before we can really rely on him on pressure situation. The same apply to Thomas who hasn't played a game for Canada in a while. 

2 hours ago, aloyol said:

When this cycle is over? Or, from now on the trio is Milan, Max and Simon? Because right now I wouldn't feel really comfortable seeing Crepeau or Thomas getting in a WCQ game against any of our 3 opponents if Milan was going down injured or got a RC. I would feel Stama is a lot safer option.

It's clearly a positive to see Crepeau can hold his own in a tough situation but IMHO he needs more seasoning before we can really rely on him on pressure situation. The same apply to Thomas who hasn't played a game for Canada in a while. 

I meant when this cycle is over.

Archived