2016 Algarve Cup & other early March tournaments

Blackdude

re. Erin Mcleod

I think   FC Rosengard signed McLeod to make them more competitive in UEFA Women's Champions League. The first leg of the quarter-final match between Rosengard and FFC Frankfurt ( Sophie Schmidt's club)  is scheduled for March 23, 2016. So McLeod has three weeks to get acclimated to a new team and a new culture before she gets thrown into the competition. From what I read, she may also be still rehabbing some  injury.

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Anybody really surprised by this result?

Not with that lineup.  As soon as I saw the defensive line I felt Herdman had underestimated Nadia Nadim.  I am starting to wonder how much attention he pays to the NWSL.  I am a bit surprised we couldn't score though.

I was chatting with Jeff earlier and we were wondering what the last tier one or tier two team is that Canada last scored more than a single goal on. It seems like a very long time since they notched two against someone decent. China in the four nations cup maybe? Can't recall.

CANWNT vs Belgium (Red Flames), March 4 ,2016

[ 1 ] This is a winnable game for Canada. Belgium's main threat up front is Tessa Wullaert, a 23 year old striker playing for VFL Wolfsburg in Germany -- she only has 3 goals in 11 matches, primarily coming off the bench.

[ 2 ] Belgium's keepers are really young:  Nicky Evrard is 21 years old with 8 appearances and Justien  Odeurs , who is 19 years old, is a little gaffe-prone:

- first minute of the video , wearing yellow:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkQ6tgefjlU&feature=youtu.be

- two minutes ten seconds of the video, wearing green :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lRxIhibIjE

57 minutes ago, mtlfan said:

CAN 0 BEL 0 79'

DEN 1 ICE 3 80'

Canada wins 1-0 Clarke 88'

it is now starting to become apparent that Canada can not even compete with the Top 20 in the world anymore . If they were in any other Confederation besides Concacaf the Olympics and WC would be a far fetched dream . I do believe its time to FIFA to revisit the amount of entries allowed by Concacaf if they wish to have a truly competitive field .

5 hours ago, 67soccer said:

it is now starting to become apparent that Canada can not even compete with the Top 20 in the world anymore . If they were in any other Confederation besides Concacaf the Olympics and WC would be a far fetched dream . I do believe its time to FIFA to revisit the amount of entries allowed by Concacaf if they wish to have a truly competitive field .

Can not even compete with the Top 20?

Since the start of 2015 the CanWNT has beaten the 20th, 18th, 17th, 13th, and 5th ranked teams in the world. They've tied the 12th and 16th ranked teams. They've lost by a goal to the 15th, 7th, 5th, and 3rd ranked teams and by 2 goals to the 7th and 1st ranked teams. They are obviously competitive with the top 20, but also obviously struggle with the upper echelon. But even the losses were not blow outs. Their achilles heel continues to be their ability to score. 

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Can not even compete with the Top 20?

Since the start of 2015 the CanWNT has beaten the 20th, 18th, 17th, 13th, and 5th ranked teams in the world. They've tied the 12th and 16th ranked teams. They've lost by a goal to the 15th, 7th, 5th, and 3rd ranked teams and by 2 goals to the 7th and 1st ranked teams. They are obviously competitive with the top 20, but also obviously struggle with the upper echelon. But even the losses were not blow outs. Their achilles heel continues to be their ability to score. 

wow they beat  swiss , KR ,China and Italy and all very close games , as for England it was a friendly . Since JH has been employed in what direction has this team and development gone in after the fluke of the bronze .There is no plan , no real plan !!

21 minutes ago, 67soccer said:

wow they beat  swiss , KR ,China and Italy and all very close games , as for England it was a friendly . Since JH has been employed in what direction has this team and development gone in after the fluke of the bronze .There is no plan , no real plan !!

There may or may not be a plan (I don't really know one way or the other ... Do you?) and I would agree that our women are being surpassed by teams that formerly were far below us. My only disagreement was with your assertion that we are 'not competitive' with the top 20 women's teams, and that is demonstrably false. 

The posts on this thread are similar in view to Benito last year from a small but vocal group. He couldn't do anything right and even wins weren't good enough. Plus, of course, non stop piling on about Osorio.

For a team in transition searching for a striker, playing non meaningful matches that most of us haven't seen, the comments are extreme. Most ridiculous is suggesting CONCACAF doesn't deserve 2 spots in the Olympics (2 of the 3 medals went to our region last time). 

1 hour ago, red card said:

. Most ridiculous is suggesting CONCACAF doesn't deserve 2 spots in the Olympics (2 of the 3 medals went to our region last time). 

Please that was 4 years ago and again a one woman Sinclair show ,a fluke then .USA are also in transition though don't see them missing a beat.

Though lets play this out and see if you are correct that Canada deserves to be there and why you we are waiting , please give one , just one reasonable explanation why this country is failing in this game .

1 hour ago, red card said:

2 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

There may or may not be a plan (I don't really know one way or the other ... Do you?) and I would agree that our women are being surpassed by teams that formerly were far below us. My only disagreement was with your assertion that we are 'not competitive' with the top 20 women's teams, and that is demonstrably false. 

I'm not going to pretend I'm not a little bit worried.  But I'm with you in that we don't know what the plan has been.  Maybe he wanted to test the youth in that first game, I don't know.  Today I have been thinking about how on the men's side if the #11 team lost by a goal in a meaningless game to the # 19 team it wouldn't cause mass panick.  Parity in the women's game is increasing (at least in the top 20) and I don't think this is a bad thing.  Like Australia of a few years ago, it might take our youth some time playing at this level, but I have hope.  And Australia is tearing up the Asian qualifiers now.

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I'm not going to pretend I'm not a little bit worried.  But I'm with you in that we don't know what the plan has been.  Maybe he wanted to test the youth in that first game, I don't know.  Today I have been thinking about how on the men's side if the #11 team lost by a goal in a meaningless game to the # 19 team it wouldn't cause mass panick.  Parity in the women's game is increasing (at least in the top 20) and I don't think this is a bad thing.  Like Australia of a few years ago, it might take our youth some time playing at this level, but I have hope.  And Australia is tearing up the Asian qualifiers now.

I'm worried as well. We have been mostly standing still while others have been progressing. 

I like the youth movement. But I was struck by several highlights of the American women over their previous few games and just thought 'When have we ever done that?' Like the goal by Dunn earlier this week. When have we seen a Canadian woman cut inside like that and pick out the far corner with an unstoppable shot. All of our U17s etc should be watching those videos and trying to emulate that.

What should the coaches and assistants learn?  That you need to be good with either foot to be successful?  I suspect they know that already, but do the young players?  Sinclair can strike well with either foot, but which of our other forwards can?  I just don't see that as being the fault of the coaches.  Some things players have to take in hand for themselves.  They could probably learn a lot about practicing on their own from Pressman.

CANWNT vs Brazil  ( Algarve Cup Final ) March 9, 10:30 am Pacific/ 1:30 pm Eastern

- A steady diet of Brazil here, maybe Canada will be drawn into their (Brazil's)  group for the Olympics.The 2016 Olympic Tournament Draw is on April 14, 2016.

- When these two sides last  met, Monica ( defender) and Andressa Alves ( striker ) both had a good game against Canada. Let's hope Canada is better at the back this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72QwHvxocY#t=18

- Rafaelle Souza, a 24 year old leftback/ DM  for Brazil, can  anticipate the play on the pitch by English speaking players because she is too is fluent in English. Rafaelle is a graduate of the University Of Mississippi ( Ole Miss ).

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/w-soccer/mtt/rafaelle_souza_756565.html

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/selecao-brasileira/noticia/2015/12/fluente-em-ingles-rafaelle-usa-idioma-para-descobrir-taticas-do-canada.html

It appears  that the Brazilian federation ( CBF ) is planning  to stream this  game to their fans on their  official youtube channel ( which may require registration ). From the CBF facebook page:

"  Brazilian Football Confederation Today at 15h30, Brazil x Canada. Algarve Cup final. Transmission only in the official channel of the CBF on YouTube. "

"Brazilian Football Confederation The game will be broadcast by the official channel of the CBF on YouTube."

"Brazilian Football Confederation If register on the official channel of the CBF on YouTube and follow the live broadcast of the final, now at 15h. Direct Portugal"

"Brazilian Football Confederation The 15h YouTube CBF will broadcast the final of the women's !!!!!!"

On 3/5/2016 at 8:43 PM, 67soccer said:

Please that was 4 years ago and again a one woman Sinclair show ,a fluke then .USA are also in transition though don't see them missing a beat.

Though lets play this out and see if you are correct that Canada deserves to be there and why you we are waiting , please give one , just one reasonable explanation why this country is failing in this game 

The last Olympics was the last Olympics we can look at. Herdman outperformed in London - first Canadian team to medal in a traditional team sport since the 30s. Last year at the World Cup, the team didn't fail but they didn't succeed either. They met minimum expectations. Now they qualified again for the Olympics. They didn't beat the US or haven't beaten any top tier team. So, overall, these performances aren't at all indicative of a failing program where Herdman should be fired. It shows improvement with lots of work to be done still. And we just won the Algarve Cup - haven't seen any of the matches in full but good to read that Beckie and Clarke scored & Buchanan was player of the tournament.

Herdman with the CSA has also finally put in place some sort of structure and pathway from the youth national team level & the senior team. This will compensate somewhat for the failings of the Canadian youth system. The style of play still has a long way to go but it has finally started to move in the correct direction.

New players are slowly being found but given the failings of the Canadian system, it hasn't been and won't be easy for another 5-10 years to field 22 strong team assuming the groundwork being laid today is mostly done right. Litmus test would be if we can find 1-2 strikers who can be at least 60-70% of Sinclair, a goalkeeper to take over McLeod, a creative mid that is equal to Matheson, a defensive mid better than Scott and more than one Belanger type backline player on the team.

Archived