2016 Algarve Cup & other early March tournaments

Blackdude

Canada will participate in a weaken Algarve Cup. They will be in that tournament alongside Brazil, Denmark, New Zealand, Iceland, Russia, Belgium and Portugal.

It was expected that many top teams would miss because of Olympic qualifying, so Japan, China, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland, who went to the previous Algarve Cup had to decline. To add to that, USA, France, Germany and England will play a similar tournament in Florida at the same time, so they are out.

I wonder what will happen to the Cyrpus Cup with two of the four host nations gone in England and the Netherlands, two of the hosts not going not to mention the departures of Canada and Australia (qualifying)

It seems like the Cyprus Cup will run; the website has the 2016 dates. They may simply go for a smaller field. Finland, Scotland + at least 2 others...

Link for Cyrpus Cup info:

http://www.cypruswomenscup.net/

Links for Algarve info:

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/algarve-cup-2016-teams/

Link for the USA 4 nations info:

http://www.footdelles.com/article/Autres-competitions_Un-tournoi-USA-Allemagne-France-Angleterre_122973.html

Link for AFC qualifying in Osaka:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_AFC_Women's_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament

Link for 4 nations UEFA qualifying in The Netherlands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_UEFA_Women's_Olympic_Qualifying_Tournament

Anybody know if the 4 nations in China will run in January?

re. Tournament in China in January ( 2016 ) :

I haven't seen anything official yet but Bianca Henninger says Mexico will be going to a tournament in China in January --  Mixxed Zone podcast  at the 10 minute mark, December 1, 2015:

http://www.howlermagazine.com/next-time-ill-take-the-pk/

Henninger is the backup keeper for the Houston Dash who drew praise for her starting play when Erin Mcleod was away playing for the  CANWNT   during the 2015 WWC. Recently, Henniger has been called into her first ever camp with Mexico but won't play in the 2015  International Tournament in Natal because she's rehabbing a hamstring injury.  It's her hope to be ready to play for Mexico in January in a tournament in China.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2015 at 1:35 PM, tc-in-bc said:

re. Tournament in China in January ( 2016 ) :

I haven't seen anything official yet but Bianca Henninger says Mexico will be going to a tournament in China in January -- 

Info about 4 nations in China:

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/four-nations-tournament-2016-shenzhen/ (they invited South Korea, Mexico and Vietnam).

On 12/5/2015 at 1:26 AM, Blackdude said:

Canada will participate in a weaken Algarve Cup. They will be in that tournament alongside Brazil, Denmark, New Zealand, Iceland, Russia, Belgium and Portugal.

It was expected that many top teams would miss because of Olympic qualifying, so Japan, China, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland, who went to the previous Algarve Cup had to decline. To add to that, USA, France, Germany and England will play a similar tournament in Florida at the same time, so they are out.

I wonder what will happen to the Cyrpus Cup with two of the four host nations gone in England and the Netherlands, two of the hosts not going not to mention the departures of Canada and Australia (qualifying)

Are these tournament Cups by invitation only or do interested countries apply to attend?

• 1 month later...

Ok, well we lost to the USA playing kick and run (really kick and defend) but let's look forward to Algarve.

Our Fixtures (I've included FIFA rankings):

Wednesday March 2nd: Canada (11th) vs Denmark (15th)

Friday March 4th: Canada (11th) vs Belgium (28th)

Monday March 7th: Canada (11th) vs Iceland (19th)

Playing D'Angelo in goal for the Belgium game would be nice!

Algarve roster thoughts:

- No Mcleod  ( who is in Sweden ) so Sheridan draws in.

- Only bringing 21 players, and not the  full complement of  23 players. Some more options at fullback and centerback would not have hurt.

- Summer Clarke is back. It's been suggested in the past that Summer Clarke could play for England but to me  that would be a much  harder road for her to take. Almost all of the Lionesses' roster call-ups are FAWSL 1 players and  it's rare that the FA  would call up an NCAA division 1 player. So post-college, Clarke would  have to play in the FAWSL, a strong league FULL  of productive attackers,  in order to  make a name for herself. In contrast, the CANWNT is really thin with forwards and they really need their young forward prospects to step up a take roster spots.  Since there is an immediate demand here  for her,  Canada is quicker path to a senior national team for Summer Clarke.

CANWNT vs Denmark, March 2, 2016 ,  7: 00 am Pacific Time/  10:00 am Eastern Time :

- The Danish Federation is attempting to stream this game, on their own, and are advising their fans to watch for a link on their facebook page:     https://www.facebook.com/kvindefodbold

- Denmark has some quality attackers in their line-up : Nadia Nadim ( formerly with Sky Blue, now with Portland Thorns) and Pernille Harder ( a striker for  Linkoping FC who was the second leading scorer in Sweden in 2015 ). Eager to see what happens.

- The Denmark federation has given up on the stream citing a weak internet signal/connection in the stadium

-HT  Canada 0 - 0 Denmark

- Canada Soccer's  twitter suggests that Canada is doing well but the Danish facebook suggests the opposite:

"Denmark is by a wide margin the best team on the field towards the break.    Canada is low in pitch and flat on the feet, while the Danish women show excellent fits and rehearsed play. 1 minute back of the real playing time."

- No Christine Sinclair in the starting line-up. A new tactic/pattern for John Herdman -- using Sinclair as a game-changing super sub?

UPDATE:

-  Danish facebook:  " 2nd Half: The game is kicked off again for the second half, and Denmark start where they left off - high on Canada's court."

-  62' Goal    Nadia Nadim.  Canada 0 - 1 Denmark

UPDATE:

- Danish facebook:   "  The tempo has dropped a bit after Denmark to score for both teams. The Canadian coach John Hermand trying to change the course of putting its top scorer Christine Sinclair on the pitch. It does not change the fact that Denmark is very close to putting the 2-0 shortly after a great opportunity to Pernille Harder."

-FT  Canada 0 - 1  Denmark

Canada needs fans that don't panic and overreact when a team in transition is trying to figure things out in a meaningless game.

I know that sounds harsh and I apologize but this extreme criticism around this board is just hard to take all the time.  I also know I'm probably in the minority but I don't see it as all the doom and gloom so many around here do from the posts.

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

That's why you play friendlies.  Try different things out to see what works and what doesn't.  I'm not going to judge until post Olympics.

I would expect after all these years that Herdman ought to know what works and what doesn't. 

On 27/02/2016 at 0:38 PM, tc-in-bc said:

Algarve roster thoughts:

- No Mcleod  ( who is in Sweden ) so Sheridan draws in.

What is she doing in Sweden when their league starts in middle of April. Sweden's national team players are playing in a tournament now.

4 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I would expect after all these years that Herdman ought to know what works and what doesn't. 

Not when you're bringing in a lot of new players and leaving veterans off.  I know I'm in the minority here and we'll agree to disagree, so no use prolonging this lol.

Archived