Cristián Gutiérrez

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very fickle, 2 good games=cap him he can make the squad, then 2 bad games=move on he is no good.  Damn near get whiplash..maybe since there arent going to be any camps soon, just let him finish the se

We knew the time to choose would come sooner or later. Playing for Vancouver with a ton of Canadians by his side is as good a scenario as we could have hoped for. All we can do now is hope that living

I thought he played well tonight. So did Cornelius 

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I honestly never understood the hype about this guy, if he can't stay consistent then for me personally he is not ready for a call up

The hype would be cut in half if Chile wasn't reportedly sniffing around.

When Canada is the only realistic option for a dual national, the hype is genuine and not coming from a place of urgency/anxiety.

I would personally like to see him called to a senior camp. He's got something about him. In my eyes he's not a can't miss call-up, but for all his flaws I see his potential. I'll admit, I would like to cap him before Chile does. 

Same goes for Yankov.

IMO if they aren't good enough yet, then they don't deserve call ups. Period. Yankov is better off with the U23s for the time being, I'd like to see him in the Olympic squad, and if he proves himself there, then sure, give him a call up to the senior side. Same for Gutierrez, at the moment he is not worthy of a call over any of the current fullbacks likely to be called up, and his play against more stern MLS opposition has been so far underwhelming.

7 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

IMO if they aren't good enough yet, then they don't deserve call ups. Period. Yankov is better off with the U23s for the time being, I'd like to see him in the Olympic squad, and if he proves himself there, then sure, give him a call up to the senior side. Same for Gutierrez, at the moment he is not worthy of a call over any of the current fullbacks likely to be called up, and his play against more stern MLS opposition has been so far underwhelming.

Fair enough.

I am not convinced Gutierrez is not good enough for our senior side. I also get the argument he hasn't "earned" a senior call yet. I think wanting to see him and Yankov with the Olympic squad first is fair. However, I am okay if they jump straight to the senior team. There are plenty examples of players skipping that step. They could even drop back down later and help the Olympic team.

If calling them to the senior team first is required to get them on board, I have little problem with it. They are ours then. What would it really cost us? Not a whole lot. I would rather do that then lose them to Chile and Bulgaria.

And also, if you'd like to see them with our Olympic squad, are they really that far off the senior team? We have all kinds of Olympic players in our senior pool as it is.

I can appreciate you wanting to see him with the Olympic team first, but Yankov is not joining us without a senior call by the sounds of it. If the interest from Chile in Guiterrez is genuine, I doubt he makes a change for our Olympic team, so probably same deal as Yankov.

Edited by Obinna
15 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Looks like he wasn't called up by Chile for their upcoming games in October

I'm not surprised at all.  I don't think he's that close to being called by the Chile NT.  It looks like there were no MLS players called but looking at the roster, the majority are playing throughout Latin America.

7 domestic based players

3 other South American based players

8 Mexican based players

7 European based players