2015 Toronto FC Offseason News

shermanator

I have no idea how the cap works (but who really does) but everything I've read said that they were over the cap heading into the week.  Moore counted against it since they used their buy out earlier.  I'd assume Gomez counts against the cap as well since he was waived too but I could be wrong.  Some transparency with the league would be nice...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An American being waived in favour of signing and playing young Canucks is good news for the young Canucks although not necessarily for TFC. Altidore will probably miss 60% of the season between the US national team play & injuries and Giovinco may be called to the Euro for Italy (although only if he continues to rip up the league again, I suspect). Going with three unproven strikers for a whole month or more (one of whom, Endoh, I haven't really seen much from yet to get me excited about) is likely not going to be sufficient (even from a sheer numbers point of view, never mind experience). So I hope there is room to sign someone else.

Got this from Waking the Red on cutting Gomez.  Nothing concrete but something

" The move to part ways with Gomez could very well have been connected to the fact that MLS clubs now have to be roster compliant ahead of the new season.  There was some talk that TFC was going to have to make a move to get their roster under the salary cap so shuffling Gomez out, who was on a fairly large salary, could have been the move they had to make to resolve that issue. "

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

An American being waived in favour of signing and playing young Canucks is good news for the young Canucks although not necessarily for TFC. Altidore will probably miss 60% of the season between the US national team play & injuries and Giovinco may be called to the Euro for Italy (although only if he continues to rip up the league again, I suspect). Going with three unproven strikers for a whole month or more (one of whom, Endoh, I haven't really seen much from yet to get me excited about) is likely not going to be sufficient (even from a sheer numbers point of view, never mind experience). So I hope there is room to sign someone else.

The best teams in the league still play well missing their best players, it's time Toronto started doing the same. I think this is exciting.. there's no sense in constantly depending on Giovinco and we don't know what we don't know.  I'd like to see Hamilton get a solid run, it's the only way to develop him and I think he's a top prospect in this league. Remember he is the same age this year as Larin was last year and Larin was probably 4th on their depth chart heading into the season at striker.  All it's going to take is one chance and finish at this level for Babouli or Hamilton.  Both are talented enough to play here.

It's been frustrating seeing Babouli and Hamilton buried behind someone like Gomez but now it looks like we've turned a corner.  I'm not afraid of us failing with either of them, we have a solid 10 men with them and worst case scenario we've giving valuable time to youngsters.. I am afraid of us failing with Herc Gomez though, wasting more cap space and time on a foreign has been.  

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

The best teams in the league still play well missing their best players, it's time Toronto started doing the same. I think this is exciting.. there's no sense in constantly depending on Giovinco and we don't know what we don't know.  I'd like to see Hamilton get a solid run, it's the only way to develop him and I think he's a top prospect in this league. Remember he is the same age this year as Larin was last year and Larin was probably 4th on their depth chart heading into the season at striker.  All it's going to take is one chance and finish at this level for Babouli or Hamilton.  Both are talented enough to play here.

It's been frustrating seeing Babouli and Hamilton buried behind someone like Gomez but now it looks like we've turned a corner.  I'm not afraid of us failing with either of them, we have a solid 10 men with them and worst case scenario we've giving valuable time to youngsters.. I am afraid of us failing with Herc Gomez though, wasting more cap space and time on a foreign has been.  

I don't disagree with any of this re:Babouli & Hamilton getting a chance to play and that this part of it is exciting, but given the potential forthcoming absences that are very foreseeable, there needs to be more depth up front. If Hamilton should get injured/suspended during the projected 60% of the season that Altidore will be missing, I think Babouli becomes the closest thing to a target forward, which won't cut it at his height.

The solution would be to dump Altidore for a less expensive player who will actually play the entire season, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

i dont think its possible Hamilton and Babouli can produce any less than Gomez and Moore.  At a fraction of the price.  Its a win win.  The young guys get a chance to prove what they can do (remember a rookie named Osorio a few years back), and they still have time to bring in a midseason replacement if they both fail to impress.  

6 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I thought that MLS clubs could only buy out one contract. So, you're not saving money, Gomez and Moore are on TFC's salary cap books, unless they had non-guaranteed contracts which would shock me.

Not aware there are "buyouts" in MLS. Most player contracts are not guaranteed and they can be released without counting against the cap - like Kantari. However, it looks like Luke Moore was on a guaranteed deal for this year so by "waiving" him the club continues to have his salary count against the cap, but free up a spot on the roster. Now it makes more sense.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/luke-moore-tfc-toronto-fc-mls-major-league-soccer/

6 hours ago, Rheo said:

Got this from Waking the Red on cutting Gomez.  Nothing concrete but something

" The move to part ways with Gomez could very well have been connected to the fact that MLS clubs now have to be roster compliant ahead of the new season.  There was some talk that TFC was going to have to make a move to get their roster under the salary cap so shuffling Gomez out, who was on a fairly large salary, could have been the move they had to make to resolve that issue. "

So your article would imply that Gomez is being released to get under the cap. This Sportsnet article refers to the move as a "waive":

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/report-toronto-fc-to-waive-herculez-gomez/

So it's a matter of finding out whether Gomez's deal was guaranteed or not. If it was, then there are no savings from this move.

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You dont suppose they are making room for cheap young CDN talent?  Probably Lovitz and Delgado will get all Warner's minutes.  

Delgado more likely than Lovitz who wouldn't be used as a d-mid in any event. Although I think this trade is also good news for Chris Mannella who Vanney said had a good camp but to be sent to TFCII because of the depth in midfield & that they'd rather have him playing than sitting on the bench. When Bradley misses 30% of the season through injury & US national team call-ups, this will give Mannella a better chance at picking up some d-mid minutes on the first team.

Interesting moves for sure. They have a lot of injury-prone and international-prone guys on the roster and are facing an Eastern conference with no more expansion teams and a Fire club that seems to have improved. I would not be shocked to see them battling for a playoff spot again this year, although I do think having a competent goalkeeper is worth a lot. I also would not be surprised to see them sign Wesley Charpie from TFC2 if Beitashour is injured long-term.

Its a good move for Canadian players and it's good roster management for TFC.  It doesn't make good cap sense to pay guys 150-250k in MLS to sit on the bench.  Those are starter salaries.

To be good Toronto has to have a stable of productive guys making 70-100k who can give quality minutes.

Its part of the reason Ashtone Morgan will stay with this team for a while.  He's effective when he plays and he's cost effective.

On Thursday, March 03, 2016 at 4:49 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Its part of the reason Ashtone Morgan will stay with this team for a while.  He's effective when he plays and he's cost effective.

...when he plays is the key phrase there.  If Morrow stays healthy, and with two bonafide RBs so that Morrow doesn't have to shift over anymore, I don't see him playing much at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing. 

I would guess an issue of money, either cap-wise or what Babouli wants. I cannot believe TFC is starting a mid-round draft pick at striker to start the season. They either have a lot of confidence in Endoh and Hamilton to provide depth or its yet another chapter of organizational ineptitude. Probably a bit of both.

To be fair, he is only starting because of Altidore being out.  Having a mid round draft pick (Endoah), homegrown academy product (Hamilton) and a USL call up (Balbouli) as cover for your 2 MLS all star strikers isn't bad.  With the salary cap you cant have depth everywhere and we have all been crying for Hamilton to get a chance.  

Archived