Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borjan leads the way today in Belgrade - Zvezda 1 Partizan 0 ,  3 points in the league and winners of the Eternal Derby  Borjan was outstanding today- huge saves, especially late in the match to

Our best keeper since Forrest.  By far.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

We’re always talking about how much our GK depth is lacking and defence is weak and we focus all our attention on the young attackers and mids.. 

but it has to be asked: is Borjan the best Canadian keeper ever? Obviously it’s between him and Forrest but there’s a case to be made for both.  

It's probably not a ridiculous question to ask, but for me Forrest is still number 1. Probably exclusively due to his 2000 Gold Cup performance. He had a couple (I think at least 2) huge penalty stops and some other big saves that were instrumental in us winning that tourney.

I have less memory of his WCQ performances though. They are/were both phenomenal keepers though in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a tough question IMO.

I think their respective club career are difficult to compare. Forrest playing mostly in England Championship and some games in the EPL while Borjan has played in Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia. Borjan has also Champions League and Europa league experience.

I would give the edge to Borjan on that point.

With the MNT, I think Forrest performances were more impressive but Borjan has been close (his performance in San Pedro Sula in 2016 was  huge).

I think it's a tie but Borjan could easily surpass Forrest in the near future.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Strait Red said:

Seeing the above video made me think of this one, it’s a few years old but still pretty good, this is a video of walking the players tunnel and entering Red Star Belgrade’s stadium.

 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57RGGDTHbFA

A few clicks after watching this video, I came across a very interesting short documentary on Red Star and their run to the 1992 European Cup. I learned a lot and have a much deeper appreciation and respect for the club that Borjan represents.

On the backdrop of the Balkin war, this club dominated the yugoslavian league, winning 4 titles in a row, the aforementioned European Cup, beating teams like Bayern on route to that triumph, and united the people in a time of war, hatred and disunity.

A great story and proud to see a Canadisn star for this club with such a rich history, on the biggest stage in club football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keegan said:

We’re always talking about how much our GK depth is lacking and defence is weak and we focus all our attention on the young attackers and mids.. 

but it has to be asked: is Borjan the best Canadian keeper ever? Obviously it’s between him and Forrest but there’s a case to be made for both.  

No love for Lars? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I thought that Hoillet had a cool experience playing at Stamford Bridge this weekend. Look at the atmosphere Borjan has.

 

Yeah Red Star support is incredible.  Their Euroleague atmosphere is off the charts too (probably get launched into the sun by MLSE for trying 1% of this in the ACC or whatever its called now).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnyb said:

Forrest

Dolan

Borjan

IMO...

1) Forrest - overall most number of games at the highest (domestic) club level. Bossed it for the Nats, including the aforementioned gold cup.

2) Borjan - most Europa/CL level appearance, probably second most successful European club career. (at thirty and with modern training/sports science, may still have enough left in the tank to over-take Forrest.

3) Lars - also vary successful Eiropean club careers, with CL level games, and 48 caps for the nats

4) Onstad - longest and arguably most successful North American club career, 57 caps (think that's most for a GK?)

5) Dolan - long successful domestic career, GK at world cup in 1986.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

IMO...

1) Forrest - overall most number of games at the highest (domestic) club level. Bossed it for the Nats, including the aforementioned gold cup.

2) Borjan - most Europa/CL level appearance, probably second most successful European club career. (at thirty and with modern training/sports science, may still have enough left in the tank to over-take Forrest.

3) Lars - also vary successful Eiropean club careers, with CL level games, and 48 caps for the nats

4) Onstad - longest and arguably most successful North American club career, 57 caps (think that's most for a GK?)

5) Dolan - long successful domestic career, GK at world cup in 1986.

Concerning Dolan, IIRC he was the youngest keeper to start a WC game in 1986. I'm wondering if he still hold that distinction?

Yes, Onstad has the most caps, 1 more than Forrest. Borjan has 39, so he could be get that record if we play enough games and he stays healthy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

IMO...

1) Forrest - overall most number of games at the highest (domestic) club level. Bossed it for the Nats, including the aforementioned gold cup.

2) Borjan - most Europa/CL level appearance, probably second most successful European club career. (at thirty and with modern training/sports science, may still have enough left in the tank to over-take Forrest.

3) Lars - also vary successful Eiropean club careers, with CL level games, and 48 caps for the nats

4) Onstad - longest and arguably most successful North American club career, 57 caps (think that's most for a GK?)

5) Dolan - long successful domestic career, GK at world cup in 1986.

Probably this. 

It's a bit hard to think that the drop off after the very best is fast. Our historical depth is so shallow, in pretty well all positions. 

What is great about winning a Gold Cup, our most accessible trophy, is that it gives us heroes for the rest of our days. And I think we deserve another set of heroes, so many people in Canadian soccer have no memory of anything remotely promising, with the men of course. So give us a Gold Cup and we'll lionize the bunch of you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aloyol said:

Concerning Dolan, IIRC he was the youngest keeper to start a WC game in 1986. I'm wondering if he still hold that distinction?

Yes, Onstad has the most caps, 1 more than Forrest. Borjan has 39, so he could be get that record if we play enough games and he stays healthy.

 

https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/18712/youngest-goal-keepers-in-the-world-cup/18725

The goalkeppers which played at World Cup at age 19.

The source above also lists this link below as a reference, which confirms that Dolan was the youngest keeper in the 1986 tournament (but not the youngest ever at that point).

https://24-my.info/2018-world-cup-nigerian-prodigy/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Qualify for the world cup, a shock result vs PSG or Liverpool in the CL (addition to his 7 save shutout performance vs Napoli). 

We are really talking 1A & 1B IMO.

Provided he stays healthy, in terms of years he still has quite a few left in front of him. 

 

Aside... wasn't he rumored to move to the BPL this summer?

 

Edited by apbsmith
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Dumb question but is everyone buying DAZN and watching Champions and Europa Leagues that way? I miss it not being on TSN.

Also,, Borjan is awesome and I hope he goes to a big league after this season.

I have had DAZN long before they got the Champions League. Coverage has been very good so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 20, 2018 at 4:11 PM, Boominbooty said:

Dumb question but is everyone buying DAZN and watching Champions and Europa Leagues that way? I miss it not being on TSN.

Also,, Borjan is awesome and I hope he goes to a big league after this season.

I don't have DAZN and am going through serious withdrawal for the coverage by TSN.  Rough (and very unfamiliar) not being able to just flip on the tube and watch the games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't have DAZN and am going through serious withdrawal for the coverage by TSN.  Rough (and very unfamiliar) not being able to just flip on the tube and watch the games.

Or even highlights. I haven’t looked hard but I didn’t see them on TSN’s website. It took a while for me to find video of Ronaldo’s red card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 3:11 PM, Boominbooty said:

Dumb question but is everyone buying DAZN and watching Champions and Europa Leagues that way? I miss it not being on TSN.

Also,, Borjan is awesome and I hope he goes to a big league after this season.

Yes, I did. I’ve had it for about 10 days, no problems with the streams. I opted for the year package for $150. I watch NFL as well, so it’s a good deal for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 9:24 PM, Kent said:

Or even highlights. I haven’t looked hard but I didn’t see them on TSN’s website. It took a while for me to find video of Ronaldo’s red card.

Soccer reddit is really good for big highlights

On a sidenote, I am a big fan of DAZN

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Was Red Star’s best player today against PSG. Let in 6 goals but Red Star was completely outplayed. They couldn’t handle the physicality or skill of PSG resulting in multiple one on ones with Borjan. He made quite a few quality stops on the Neymar/Cavani/Mbappe. He received high praise from the commentator, saying it could be double digits in goals if not for Borjan. At one point saying the game was PSG against Borjan.

As a side note, there was a nice little moment near the end of the game where Borjan let out a little smile after a wonderful free kick goal by Neymar. He couldn’t help but admire the goal it seemed. He really seems to be enjoying his experience playing against the best in the world, and he doesn’t seem out of place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The result doesn’t tell the whole story, PSG beat Red Star belgrade 6-1 tonight at home

Borjan literally stood on his head making 11 SAVES! To be fair when you’re facing FW Neymar-Cavani-Mbappe

then DiMaria, Veratti and Rabiot in midfield  you will be out played in every way 

On one of the goals I saw, his defense pretty much gave up on the play which is disappointing to see 

but nonetheless I Applaud his performance, without him could have gotten ugly in the double digits 

MOM for his side without a doubt

Edited by Thomas
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

As a side note, there was a nice little moment near the end of the game where Borjan let out a little smile after a wonderful free kick goal by Neymar. He couldn’t help but admire the goal it seemed. He really seems to be enjoying his experience playing against the best in the world, and he doesn’t seem out of place.

https://streamja.com/qrP3

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So Red Star is being investigated for match fixing in their 6-1 loss to PSG. So on Twitter Borjan is quoted as saying something to the effect of getting a bonus for the game but it comes off as slightly incriminating. I can't link it I'm on mobile but if you look up his name on twitter and go on latest he's quoted by a French account. Ill link it when I'm home. Can anyone clarify what he said? 

Also I wonder if there's more to him being left off the Canada roster.

Edited by Vince193
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...