Vince193

Milan Borjan

Wow.  Crazy finish.  Borjan the hero. Well, him and a penalty spot that is made of what I can only guess is chocolate pudding.  That was a case study in why you should practice penalty kicks. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Wow.  Crazy finish.  Borjan the hero. Well, him and a penalty spot that is made of what I can only guess is chocolate pudding.  That was a case study in why you should practice penalty kicks. 

I found it odd the penalty spot specifically was in such bad shape. One thing you can occasionally see is keepers getting deep into an extra time or close to a shootout hacking away at a spot when the play is not near, although that hurts both teams equally.

Some of the players simply could not get their footing. Others had the ball in a hole so they had to punch it upwards. The lefty taker was smooth because that side was not as messy. Some of the Red Star guys sort of punched in to a side up high, to avoid a full follow through. On a couple saves Borjan was way off his line before the ball was kicked, like vs. that player who tried a stutter step on him. The ref was standing way to close to the kickers, I hate that, move the **** away you goof. 

Then if I am not mistaken, another cool thing. The keepers shot 10th because both went down to 10 men, so the tenth was the keeper on the shootout, and on the decisive 11th a new sequence begun, shooters repeated, but you did not have to keep the same order as the first time. So each team chose a shooter who had scored the first time.

Overall, one of the most complete rounds I have seen in a long time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

On a couple saves Borjan was way off his line before the ball was kicked, like vs. that player who tried a stutter step on him. The ref was standing way to close to the kickers, I hate that, move the **** away you goof.

These were a couple things that stuck out to me too. I had flashbacks to the women's world cup and thought that with that level of scrutiny, Borjan would have been sent off before the shootout was done (assuming he didn't get the message and would be able to change his trained behviour after getting a yellow).

There was one or two kicks in particular where the ref was standing very close. To the point where he would be right in the line of sight (if not blocking the view) of the right side of the net from where the shooter stands before taking their run up.

Agreed very controversial shoutout, none the less MASSIVE PROPS to Borjan. 

Red Star gonna build that man a statue one day haha, especially if Red Star one day make it out of group stage of CL.

At 7:59 in the video it's funny to see him brace himself for the onslaught of his teamates.  It's a funny and reasonable part of the dogpile we don't often see.

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Agreed very controversial shoutout, none the less MASSIVE PROPS to Borjan. 

Red Star gonna build that man a statue one day haha, especially if Red Star one day make it out of group stage of CL.

I don't even think it has to go as far as making it out of the group stage but just winning big games. I don't think their fans will forget that Liverpool game or just being back in champions league really 

As I said on the abroad thread, I got to watch a lot of the game (from half-time). Crazy for a lot of it -  the pitch generally did not help -  and compared to other occasions or leagues, the ref was actually lenient.  Fitting it ended in more drama. 

Borjan really helped keep them in it after going down to ten men, great spirit between him and his defenders - chest bumps after saves and clearances.  Corner after corner at one point. Classic bend but not break. 

Great almost old school football.  As I also said this game grabbed me like no other neutral game for a while. 

Having said all that and having really enjoyed it, not sure Red Star overall is looking as good as they did last year (in the Champions League at least) but someone who sees them more could correct or explain.