2 hours ago, Califax said:

Also, please don't quote me when I didn't say what you have in quotes. There is a quote button for this purpose. Thanks 

I get what you mean by quoting you, I never edited your quotes obviously, but I get what you mean by my quotations in my post. 

Hopefully I fixed my post accordingly for clarity.

Sorry about that.

Cheers.

Edited by apbsmith
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borjan leads the way today in Belgrade - Zvezda 1 Partizan 0 ,  3 points in the league and winners of the Eternal Derby  Borjan was outstanding today- huge saves, especially late in the match to

Our best keeper since Forrest.  By far.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Califax said:

Sorry, you want me to blame Godinho for the lack of friendlies? Like, for not calling himself? 

1 hour ago, Califax said:

They both messed up. 

Sorry, you want me to blame Godinho for the lack of friendlies? Like, for not calling himself? I'll blame Godinho for an idiotic tackle and sub par backpass.

Put simply Borjan does not have the luxury of playing the ball the way "likes" in every scenario. Especially with new teammates. Poor back pass, but very manageable. 

Fair enough, no I was not saying blame Godinho for lack of friendlies. It was a generalization comment that the lack of friendlies, in my opinion, might have hurt /caused the miss communication and why Borjan was originally backing up... Or perhaps Godinho simply miss hit it, we will never know.

You are correct, and I agree with you, nobody is perfect and Borjan does not always the luxury to have the perfect pass, that was good point, I should not have been so ignorant.

Even if Borjan fucked up, how many times has he saved us from getting  embarrassed ? Also the game was still 2-1 for us! We were still winning!  I Kinda of feel bad for Godinho he’s a young player, Herdman should have changes right after the game got tied. Herdman was dazed and confused and out of his depth ! 

45 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Even if Borjan ****** up, how many times has he saved us from getting  embarrassed ? Also the game was still 2-1 for us! We were still winning!  I Kinda of feel bad for Godinho he’s a young player, Herdman should have changes right after the game got tied. Herdman was dazed and confused and out of his depth ! 

Godinho had some good moments in this Gold Cup, but it's the same old story at Hearts, right? Good play with an inexplicable error right around the corner. 

He'll improve as he matures, I am sure, but ZBG would have been the better choice yesterday. He made a mistake against Mexico, but his rap sheet of gaffes is not nearly as long as Godinho's.

1 minute ago, Northvansteve said:

Milan has been a very solid keeper for us but I think it's time to try someone else who won't make one major unforced error per game. 

He’s better than any other keeper we have currently. Just this season he shut out both Liverpool and Napoli in the champions league. He made one mistake and when you watch the video again he was at the ball at the same time as the defender and had to make a split second decision. We can blame Borjan for that goal but he’s still our best keeper.

47 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

He’s better than any other keeper we have currently. Just this season he shut out both Liverpool and Napoli in the champions league. He made one mistake and when you watch the video again he was at the ball at the same time as the defender and had to make a split second decision. We can blame Borjan for that goal but he’s still our best keeper.

I love Milan but he keeps making the same mistake! Crepeau is one of the best keepers in MLS this season and it would be good to give him a try. 

4 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I love Milan but he keeps making the same mistake! Crepeau is one of the best keepers in MLS this season and it would be good to give him a try. 

And Borjan is the best keeper in Serbia and if he’s good enough to shut out Liverpool he’s good enough to start for Canada. Borjan is getting up there in age and crepeau will one day be our starter but as of now he isn’t.

8 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I place about 90% of the blame for that goal on Borjan but I still agree with what you said. He has saved our ass a few times and one major screw up does nothing to change that. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Im more upset with how he reacted after the goal completely ripping Godinho. 

You cant have that from a veteran player to a young under fire fullback. At that point we were still up 2-1 and while a setback, by no means catastrophic.  

That's what makes his mistake worse, you have to be responsible for your part in the screw up, have a fast word with your defender and move on, players blaming other teammates in any sport is so infuriating to me, it affects the whole team, it's something I did not tolerate as a soccer coach! I haven't watched much of Borjan's club play other than some Champions Lg, from what I've seen for Canada this seems out of character for him, maybe he was concussed?

These guys are professional athletes. You don’t think they’ve been yelled at by a team mate or team leader before? If Godinho can’t handle that from Borjan he needs a new profession. 

Borjan has saved Canada’s ass so many times when the play was sloppy in front of him. he deserves, and as keeper it is his job, to holler at his teammates and tell them to stop fucking up. The blame was on both players but if Godinho doesn’t know what type of pass Borjan needs he should be watching from the bench. 

27 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

These guys are professional athletes. You don’t think they’ve been yelled at by a team mate or team leader before? If Godinho can’t handle that from Borjan he needs a new profession. 

Borjan has saved Canada’s ass so many times when the play was sloppy in front of him. he deserves, and as keeper it is his job, to holler at his teammates and tell them to stop ******* up. The blame was on both players but if Godinho doesn’t know what type of pass Borjan needs he should be watching from the bench. 

Fair enough. I wouldnt want a team losing their shit on each other for every bad play though. 

Playing devils advocate, does arfield or hutch as the captains get to lose their shit on borjan after he lost his shit on godinho. After all borjan was just as much to blame as Godinho and the captains can step in to confrontations in btw teammates. Borjan was holding godinho accountable, so who holds borjan accountable for his end of the mistake? At what point does all the confrontation affect team morale. 

Edited by king1010
19 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

This part of the conversation I don't get, either.  Too many people here seeing this through a snowflake lense.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I place about 90% of the blame for that goal on Borjan but I still agree with what you said. He has saved our ass a few times and one major screw up does nothing to change that. 

I'm surprised you'd say that. A bad back pass that exposes the keeper and obliges him to bail you out, that is never on the keeper. 

It is Godinho who passes extremely softly. He is also the one who does not observe how close the preying striker is. He does not compensate properly sending the ball more over to a side in a critical moment. He makes about three basic back pass errors. 

All Borjan did was try to adjust and the bounce could even be considered to be unlucky for him. He did not adjust quickly to an error but was exposed and a defender can never do that to a keeper. 

People are having snowflake reactions to Borjan's anger.

Anyone who has played a high level of the sport knows these bust ups occasionally occur.  Absolutely, it would have been better for Borjan to be more positive after the mistake but I think his reaction was more out of frustration on his own play.  I think he knows he made an error and directly blamed the guy who put him in the position to make that error.  This happens everyday on the field and in the locker room in both games and practices.  You hug it out after the session and you're all buddies again.

If you're in the locker room holding grudges for simple arguments like that then you probably don't belong on a highly competitive team.

By the way - the goal was mostly Borjan's fault in my opinion but Godinho did put him in that position.  If Godinho doesn't have the mentality to recover than he's not ready to handle what the opposition will come at him.

Borjan still my # 1 Canada.

This is bad communication, no familiarity between the players and bad coaching.  Up 2-0, boot that fuckin thing out of bounds, Herdman should tell them to take no chances.  Godinho could have yelled at your keeper.  Keeper talk to your back line, or maybe in practice tell everyone i want those back passes hard at my feet because I will likely be backing up.  But all in all, these things happen, you take your lumps and get on with it.  

I dont disagree with the yelling at Godinho, BUT I do think it had something to do with the rash challenge that gave up the PK.  Godinho has just been embarassed, he is young, now shaky and he is damn well going to smash the next ball in the box 40 rows deep and ooops penalty!!!  

I actually think the mistake leads to the huge gaffe on the second goal - Godinho thinking “no stupid back passes this time, must clear at all costs” so goes to whack it out of touch- and doesn’t know the second Haitian is there (which, while a naive gaffe on his part I do have some sympathy for since he would not suspect that he would need to mark two Haitian players in the same flank).

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm surprised you'd say that. A bad back pass that exposes the keeper and obliges him to bail you out, that is never on the keeper. 

It is Godinho who passes extremely softly. He is also the one who does not observe how close the preying striker is. He does not compensate properly sending the ball more over to a side in a critical moment. He makes about three basic back pass errors. 

All Borjan did was try to adjust and the bounce could even be considered to be unlucky for him. He did not adjust quickly to an error but was exposed and a defender can never do that to a keeper. 

Spot on.  Looks like he topped the ball when he made contact. The Haitian forwards were pressing our defenders and keeper all game...you simply cannot make a soft  back pass to the keeper against an aggressive team like Haiti