Randy Edwini-Bonsu interview

matty

The following is an interesting quote. As someone who didn't follow soccer very closely during Edwini-Bonsu's time, I'm curious what the thoughts of those who did are?

"I was very under estimated in Vancouver and they didn’t see my worth so I had no option but move on"

I wonder we will the same arguments of another thread: "it's easier to debut in a league like SPL when there's no parity and your team is winning 4-0 than in MLS" and a few other not worth reminding. 

there is that generation of Bonsu, Haber and even a kid like Orgill that you have to wonder what would've happened to them if they came through Vancouver 3-4 years later. 

Slightly off topic, but Orgill has recently found himself a place in the Jamaican NT pool. Is doing very well in the Finnish top flight I believe. 16 goals in 42 appearances.

I wonder we will the same arguments of another thread: "it's easier to debut in a league like SPL when there's no parity and your team is winning 4-0 than in MLS" and a few other not worth reminding. 

Unfortunately not clear here whether he means coaching system or just general CSA development programs here but we could also bring back some discussion of Hart vs. Floro here :)

For the first time we actually have a system in place and its not an overnight thing but we players and the staff just have to keep working together and I believe the fans will see good results soon.

The following is an interesting quote. As someone who didn't follow soccer very closely during Edwini-Bonsu's time, I'm curious what the thoughts of those who did are?

"I was very under estimated in Vancouver and they didn’t see my worth so I had no option but move on"

Well yeah, I think we could hear the same quote from every single footballer who hasn't broken through at his first cub. Fact is he could only get a contract in Finlands' Second Division, so it wasn't just Vancouver who underestimated him (if at all). Even now he's still struggling to establish himself at the 3. Budesliga-level. He wouldn't be a starter at any MLS club right now.

To be fair, Edwini-Bonsu played with the Caps before they lobbied MLS to reduce the minimum number of Canadians on a roster. Anyone who argues "Whitecaps hate Canada" regarding players that played in the USL/USSF-2 days I think are off base here. For players that are with the Whitecaps from the MLS era (2011-present), there's still an argument there.

I would say that at this point in his career, he has yet to prove Vancouver wrong, in terms of ability to be an MLS talent, given the current level in MLS.

I would say that at this point in his career, he has yet to prove Vancouver wrong, in terms of ability to be an MLS talent, given the current level in MLS.

You sure about that?  You think Erik Hurtado and his 54 appearances for VWFC and REB's 0 appearances in MLS is an adequate reflection of their respective abilities?

You sure about that?  You think Erik Hurtado and his 54 appearances for VWFC and REB's 0 appearances in MLS is an adequate reflection of their respective abilities?

They may be overrating Hurtado but that doesn't mean they were wrong on REB. So far in his club career REB had a few appearances in the 2nd BL mostly as a sub and has failed to establish himself as a 3rd BL starter. His career progression is not screaming "I am MLS level" or "The Caps underestimated me". Hopefully he will make some progress and become a good 3BL striker and then work his way up the ranks but even if that happens when you are 25 and an occasional sub in the 3rd BL it is hard to make a case that a club at a higher level misevaluated you when you were 20.

I've always loved watching REB play and I'm still hoping he makes it back into our MNT mix but he has not done great except for his time in Finland. He's had some great moments but not consistent enough.

Orgil I'm glad that he's doing well in but there again the consistency is missing.

All the players except Manneh have not fit at the Caps for a simple reason. They didn't fit the coach's formation. Most have come up playing forward but haven't transitioned to winger or can't play the holding forward role that they end up in with the 4-5-1 (Both Rennie & Robbo use it almost exclusively).

Caleb is about the only one who can play that lone forward but he has not done great at the USL level. He did good but not great.

Anyway good interview and thanks for doing it. I always enjoy hearing from REB.

Absolutely sure.  0 appearances means he has yet to prove Vancouver wrong.  He would need at least 1 appearance to be given a chance to prove them wrong.  Is this not how logic works?  

His career in Germany hasn't proven them wrong either.  

Absolutely sure.  0 appearances means he has yet to prove Vancouver wrong.  He would need at least 1 appearance to be given a chance to prove them wrong.  Is this not how logic works?  

His career in Germany hasn't proven them wrong either.  

What?  By your logic, Herediano made the right decision in choosing to sign Aleman rather than any other Canadian midfielder, including Hutchinson, because Aleman has made more than a 30 appearances in the Costa Rican league and Hutch has yet to make a single appearance in that league.  (If you want to expand that further, every decision ever made is the optimal decision because we do not have access to the multiverse where we can definitively compare and contrast two separate decisions with all other things being equal.  That's fun stuff to think about.)

So Hurtado is a better player than REB because he has made >0 appearances in MLS.  Interesting.  It's curious that a guy like Gian-Luca Zavarise isn't more involved in the CanMNT setup because he too has made more than 0 appearances in MLS.

The fact of the matter is that the quality of player on an MLS pitch at any given moment can vary widely.  That's mostly because of the salary cap.  I have a hard time believing that REB is not "MLS quality" (whatever that may mean) when guys like Hurtado, Findley, and Oduro can get minutes (and some of them significant minutes at that).  This is setting aside all the other journeymen scrubs that make up a good portion of the American teams.

The fact of the matter is that the quality of player on an MLS pitch at any given moment can vary widely.  That's mostly because of the salary cap.  I have a hard time believing that REB is not "MLS quality" (whatever that may mean) when guys like Hurtado, Findley, and Oduro can get minutes (and some of them significant minutes at that).  This is setting aside all the other journeymen scrubs that make up a good portion of the American teams.

I hope you are aware that in any league you can find players that seem to be below the standard or players who had a couple of good seasons but then were not that great after, for example, players like Findley. Possibly MLS has a bit more players like this due to the salary cap although there are less and less of the poor players we used to see as the league improves. Your argument is not very convincing though or very logical. You are basically cherry picking the league and finding the poor players and saying that REB must be MLS quality because there are some poor players in the league. And if you are including Oduro as a poor player you are really not a very good judge of quality, he certainly has some infuriating weaknesses in his play but at the same time he scored 8 goals last year mostly as a winger (one less than Piatti), created a lot of offensive plays, kept opposing defenders from joining the attack for fear of being caught out and was generally pretty effective even if he doesn't always look attractive doing it. And indeed he is a similar player to REB and Ricketts for that matter but significantly better than either from what I have seen, if he were Canadian he would definitely start over Ricketts.

REB's argument does not stand any scrutiny nor does your defence of it. Vancouver is one of the better teams in a league of similar level to the 2nd BL. Since he left Vancouver he was a star player in Finland at a much lower level of play and was scouted and signed by a team playing in the 2nd BL. In two years at this team he played only slightly over 400 minutes and did not score a goal and was released. Since then he has played a division lower and has been an occasional starter but mostly sub. His most successful year was last year in which he scored 5 goals in 1858 minutes which is decent but not outstanding. At present he is hardly playing at all on a midtable team in the same league. How does someone who is only moderately successful playing at a poorer club than Vancouver in a poorer league than MLS claim that Vancouver underestimated him? And if Vancouver underestimated him then Braunschweig must also have underestimated him because they also did not re-sign him. If anything the fact that Braunschweig did not re-sign him justifies Vancouver's evaluation.

I will repeat this one more time...Vancouver (especially Teitur Thordarson) wanted to sign him to an MLS contract. The deal would have been very small, probably the league minimum that a lot of other youngsters were making. In the end Randy wanted to go back to Europe. Remember, he had already been in France before joining the Whitecaps residency program. If the MLS offer he received made him feel undervalued or underestimated, I do not know. And to say he would have developed better or worse had he stayed in Vancouver is anybodies guess.

• 1 month later...

Haven't really heard much about REB's season at Aalen. For those that follow Germany closely, how has it gone? After Ledgerwood's signing with FC Edmonton, I thought of Randy as one to potentially come home to get consistent playing time. I don't think he would want to give up on opportunities in Europe now, but is he playing enough?

2 hours ago, masster said:

Haven't really heard much about REB's season at Aalen. For those that follow Germany closely, how has it gone? After Ledgerwood's signing with FC Edmonton, I thought of Randy as one to potentially come home to get consistent playing time. I don't think he would want to give up on opportunities in Europe now, but is he playing enough?

He left Stuttgarter Kickers, because the new sporting director wanted to bring in his own players. Kickers from went a team that narrowly missed promotion to fighting relegation this season. REB had a tough first half of the season. He made the squad, but got very few minutes. He is now finally considered a starter and decided to stay, even though he was almost ready to leave. The coach of VfR Aalen is very annoying, as he often only makes use of one sub or two in a game. Drives me nuts. To answer your question, no he has not been playing enough, but he might be getting there in the next couple of months. If he doesn't, he will have to find a new club anyway.

Archived