Whitecaps Offseason 2015-16

TRM

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Though what we really need is for Rivero to stay on form all season and score 15, and for both Techera and Manneh to score over 10 or close. Then you have your scoring foundation set.

For that to happen we need the midfield functional. I have a hard time blaming Rivero's second half output on him when he was totally alone up top and being lumped long balls constantly. We are a counter attacking team but that doesn't mean constant long ball. Breaking out quickly on the wings would be the preferred option and with Manneh's speed and Techera's trickiness it should be the primary route.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/28/2016 at 7:08 PM, TRM said:

Both Frano and Haber signed to the Caps USL team.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/post/2016/01/26/whitecaps-fc-add-canadians-giuliano-frano-and-daniel-haber-wfc2

At 22 & 23 they are the right age and at the right point in their development to get lots of playing time. Here's hoping they light it up and move up to the first team.

I like this. There was lots of speculation about both as possible Canada B squads players and this will test their true worth as professionals and to the program. Unlike the first team, Canadians  saw a lot of minutes at the USL level so they should have a fair shot at least.

8 hours ago, nolando said:

I like this. There was lots of speculation about both as possible Canada B squads players and this will test their true worth as professionals and to the program. Unlike the first team, Canadians  saw a lot of minutes at the USL level so they should have a fair shot at least.

Agreed, and we have to get better results in USL and raise the overall level of that team so anyone could walk into the first side, even as a sub ready to play. I really think our USL side should be specifically designed to both nuture Canadian talent and prepare all of the players, wherever they are from, to step up into MLS.

Aird to Whitecaps confirmed?

Daily Record in Scotland has this in their transfer section:

Aird talks about MLS move

Fraser Aird has spoken about his excitement about his move to the the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS.

The former Rangers man is excited about the challenges ahead.

I was already excited about playing in the MLS and when I looked at our fixtures for the season that starts in March our trip to Los Angeles stood out. It promises to be a big occasion and I am looking forward to being involved in it.

There is an option to stay on if all the parties involved are happy at how it is gone. There is a lot of football to be played before then but it is good to know that I have choices

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/record-sport-online-transfer-centre-7267365#i6rZbDq4q1JGYwbk.99

11 hours ago, nolando said:

I can see how it makes sense for Frano but for Haber I don't like it at all.  The guy will be 24 this year and he is leaving Europe for what exactly?  To rot away playing football at a level akin to non-league England? 

It's too bad really.  Even playing Israeli 2nd division or NASL would be better.  He should have taken advantage of his time in Cyprus to get a Euro passport with that little loophole Doneil Henry pulled off... 

1 hour ago, gwsmith63 said:

Aird to Whitecaps confirmed?

Daily Record in Scotland has this in their transfer section:

Aird talks about MLS move

Fraser Aird has spoken about his excitement about his move to the the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS.

The former Rangers man is excited about the challenges ahead.

I was already excited about playing in the MLS and when I looked at our fixtures for the season that starts in March our trip to Los Angeles stood out. It promises to be a big occasion and I am looking forward to being involved in it.

There is an option to stay on if all the parties involved are happy at how it is gone. There is a lot of football to be played before then but it is good to know that I have choices

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/record-sport-online-transfer-centre-7267365#i6rZbDq4q1JGYwbk.99

Sweet. I'd love to see that. 

And the USL side picks up another striker. I hope coarch Earshaw (U14 & strikers) can get some of these guys into top rated players.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/post/2016/01/29/whitecaps-fc-add-striker-kyle-greig-wfc2-roster

25 years old so on the team in the same way that Tyler Roselund is. Some older more mature players to help the young ones along and if they excel themselves then get a shot at first team.

Too funny. Fitness testing results. Russ was recovering from an injury so someone else gets to win this year. The top 4 are Canadians! Okay so endurance is NOT our problem. After the endurance test Sam, Kianz and Marco left to join the MNT so they missed the rest of the tests.

ENDURANCE (YO-YO INTERMITTENT TEST)
1. Sam Adekugbe
2. Kianz Froese
3. Marco Bustos
4. Jackson Farmer*

Other points of interest are that Brett Levis was third (or tied for it) on the 10, 20 & 30 meter sprints. Farmer and Frano were third and fifth in the "counter movement jump" test.

Just now, Coramoor said:

Adekugbe prior to his injury looked like the whole package, hopefully he can get back to that form this year.

Yea he was the closest we've had to a breakout player so far. He had taken the starting spot for 7 straight games and was doing great. I'm sure he's learned that sliding into big solid keepers is not a good idea. :)

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

According to this Revolution reporter, Gershon Koffie is off to New England. ALL HAIL CANADIAN SOCCER JESUS as he takes his rightful spot in the starting 11 again!

Kyle McCarthy @kylejmccarthy 36m36 minutes ago

New England is expected to reinforce central midfield options by acquiring Gershon Koffie from Vancouver, per league sources. #MLS

Does this put his CMNT eligibility in jeporty? 

CSJ still has work to do, as Flores has reportedly shown well and is pushing him for the second spot aside Laba.

37 minutes ago, shermanator said:

it is stil sad to see him go! wish him the best and wish we would have got to see him continue to develop in the blue and white. He has all the attributes to become a real top class player.

Archived