Whitecaps Offseason 2015-16

TRM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/1/2016 at 6:47 AM, masster said:

Techera will be back for 2016. Don't know yet if it is an extension of the loan or if he has been transferred permanently. 

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/weber+will+back+with+whitecaps/11628315/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Hey Mass!!. This article says it is a permanent transfer and we used allocation money to do it: http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/01/04/mls-transfer-news-mccarty-techera-staying-put-in-ny-vancouver/

Odd NBC would know this and the local press does not.

Back in 2016 and beyond Techera will be. I guess that lines us up with Manneh on the left and Techera on the right as starters.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/01/06/wfc-ink-techera-complete-transfer

The Bolanos signing is in keeping with adding a bit more veteran presence now that Rosales will not be around. 31 years old and a free signing. Plays right wing so some competition for Techera.

So our drafts are a CB (16th) and 2 forwards (29th & 36th). I'm thinking all 3 will be put on the USL squad as CB Rodriguez and forward Clarke are gone.

We got Parker last year at 13th and he is now #2 in the CB depth so Cole Seiler at 16th is not that far down. We'll see how he does. Started 86 of 87 appearances at Georgetown so he is durable.

The 2 forwards Chris Hellmann & Thomas Sanner are both interesting. Sanner is 6'4" so a large target man and Seiler is 6' (and German).

Yeah, a good draft to stock up the USL team. Seiler caught Robinson's eye at the combine just like Parker did last year and I don't think the Whitecaps 2 actually have any forwards on the roster so those two were good pickups. Hellmann was apparently dominant in PDL so the first team may get something out of him if everything break rights.

https://whitecapsrosterrumours.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/is-vancouver-whitecaps-gershon-koffie-moving-closer-to-being-sold-on-to-europe/

Gersh to Europe? Earlier today, a website from Koffie’s native Ghana came to light that indicated that Koffie was now being pursued by not one but two Belgian First Division clubs (Lokeren and Westerlo) and that he would be sold for “not less that $2 million”.

While I would be sad to see him go as I've really enjoyed watching him develop over the years I'd also be happy on a few fronts. First he has been great fun to watch develop and has earned a shot at the big time and second it would open up the "DM not named Laba" spot for Russ & Kianz to claim.

Lokeren and Westerlo are the big time? Yeah you need to get your foot in the door in Europe but if anything that is a step down from the Caps. In a league with a lot of disparity between the top, middle and lower teams, Lokeren is in 9th place while Westerlo is in last place (16th) and a strong candidate for relegation. 

On 2016-01-18 at 10:19 PM, TRM said:

https://whitecapsrosterrumours.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/is-vancouver-whitecaps-gershon-koffie-moving-closer-to-being-sold-on-to-europe/

Gersh to Europe? Earlier today, a website from Koffie’s native Ghana came to light that indicated that Koffie was now being pursued by not one but two Belgian First Division clubs (Lokeren and Westerlo) and that he would be sold for “not less that $2 million”.

While I would be sad to see him go as I've really enjoyed watching him develop over the years I'd also be happy on a few fronts. First he has been great fun to watch develop and has earned a shot at the big time and second it would open up the "DM not named Laba" spot for Russ & Kianz to claim.

I agree Gersh has been a good soldier and if he has a chance to go n further he deserves it. But I will miss watching him.

9 hours ago, MM2 said:

That's 11 Internationals on the roster, how many I spots does Vancouver have?

I'm thinking some moves out are coming to make room. 

And to help fill the USL team we have 3 more picks from the draft(s).  2 From U of Washington, mids James Moberg (50th) and Josh Heard from Victoria, BC (71st ) and Tyler David (77th overall) 

13 hours ago, Raven1555362272 said:

Tweet from Canuck Abroad @Canucks_Abroad

Giuliano Frano and Daniel Haber have been invited to the upcoming preseason camp.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/01/21/whitecaps-fc-set-kick-2016-preseason-camp-friday?hootPostID=17e8eff9be0597c55f920ef677835524

Interesting but your link is to the wrong item I think. Both are the right age for the Caps and would fit into their USL team with shots at first team. Did Seattle drop Frano? He was signed there. Maybe it was just a one year deal. 

Rumour this morning that the Caps are after Blas Perez:

Is Blas Perez the final piece in the Vancouver Whitecaps Attacking Puzzle? #VWFC #WhitecapsFC #MLS https://whitecapsrosterrumours.wordpress.com/2016/01/22/is-blas-perez-the-final-piece-of-the-whitecaps-attacking-puzzle/ 

View summary
1 retweet 1 like

GlassCity Retweeted WI-JO-®

Blas Pérez to Whitecaps? @superraton7 #VWFC #WhitecapsFC

GlassCity added,

WI-JO-® @wijors
Hey @WhitecapsFC .... A Mouse from Panamá is getting closer to your roster | Un ratón se acerca a Vancouver...
1 retweet 0 likes

On 2016-01-23 at 6:59 PM, TRM said:

At $374k it would be a lot and he is 34 years old. I doubt it but you never know. 1300 minutes last year and 6 goals. That does open up more time on Dallas for Tesho so that is a good opportunity.

not worth the money! especially when other moves are likely. I.E. right back.

Sure seems like Robbo's recruiting for a 3 at the back formation.. highly mobile CBs (dean, parker..) who can cover for lungbusting wingback types (adekube, smiths! aird?..), - which makes sense as he's certainly mentioned he'd like 3 at the back to be an option. most recently he alluded to 3 backs during media day - repeating that whomever tries it in mls will be called a hero or idiot pretty quickly by fans/media as per usual depending on results.. hmm.. never :)

I think Blas Pérez is a fine option, I like him as a player, he knows the league, and he can put legitimate pressure on Rivero who underperformed for the 2nd half of the season. Rivero got all wound up about not scoring, got into a hole or drought or whatever, and could not get himself out of it. Mattocks did not pressure him and Earnshaw did not either. 

If you look at what Earnshaw made, and what we are paying Rivero, basically an unproven kid (way overpaid at almost 900,000), the Pérez option is not bad. We are actually saving money so far with the transfers, as far as I can see, so I think it is not badly spent money if it works out.

Though what we really need is for Rivero to stay on form all season and score 15, and for both Techera and Manneh to score over 10 or close. Then you have your scoring foundation set.

Archived