Whitecaps Offseason 2015-16

TRM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, shorty said:

This could be a brilliant move to gain television viewers. Japanese fans follow their stars abroad very keenly. See Kagawa in Germany, or Honda in Italy for example. I am sorta talking out of my ass, so let me know if I am totally off, haha.

Far from a household name in Japan. Interesting signing, though. Picked a pretty Japan-friendly city for his first foreign excursion which might have helped convince him to come here for what should eventually be revealed to be less money than he could have gotten elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Trillium said:

Signings like this help when you are trying to understand just what the quality level is in MLS.... if he comes in a lights it up like the Ant in Toronto ... or if he comes and is invisible after two years it tells about the nature of rankings between leagues.

I agree with this point, but I think it should be mentioned that in Giovinco's case it is more like "Juve vs MLS" than "Serie A vs MLS". I would say MLS is a lot closer to the bottem of the table Serie A teams than it is to the top  half teams. Giovinco could have gone to pretty much any club in the world and Barca recently made an inquiry to TFC about him.

18 hours ago, Steedman said:

25 and his clubs leading goal scorer, available on free transfer, Im too lazy to do the googling but why would they let him go so easily? Oh well, here's hoping it all pans out for the best.

His contract expired. A lot of more well know Japanese players don't want to commit on long term deals in J-League. A lot of agents are trying to get them out of Japan in order to earn more money and commission. 

10 minutes ago, TRM said:

25 years old, free transfer, good with both feet and can play the lone forward role ...  :)

So I guess they will move Mattocks or let Hurtado continue his Norway loan. Interesting move.

Seems likely.  And after no rumours at all about moves for Mattocks since his option was picked up, there is now talk of interest from El Salvador:

https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC/status/682072713427423234

8 hours ago, Trillium said:

Signings like this help when you are trying to understand just what the quality level is in MLS.... if he comes in a lights it up like the Ant in Toronto ... or if he comes and is invisible after two years it tells about the nature of rankings between leagues.

I've never watched J league but the concensus seems pretty clear that it is a superior league to MLS. Seeing as this guy has been a top scorer the last three years on a good J league team, I have pretty high expectations for him

52 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I've never watched J league but the concensus seems pretty clear that it is a superior league to MLS. Seeing as this guy has been a top scorer the last three years on a good J league team, I have pretty high expectations for him

Maybe technically superior, not so much tactically or physically. J League defence and goalkeeping are hilarious. 

Watch for Chinese super league to be the strongest league in Asian in next 10 years. Lots of Chinese money buying some of best players in J and K league, with sprinkling of super stars from elsewhere in the world. 

17 hours ago, Yohan said:

Maybe technically superior, not so much tactically or physically. J League defence and goalkeeping are hilarious. 

Watch for Chinese super league to be the strongest league in Asian in next 10 years. Lots of Chinese money buying some of best players in J and K league, with sprinkling of super stars from elsewhere in the world. 

Whitecaps have signed a Japanese striker, so the play at the back in the J League is irrelevant.  Anyone who knows what those white posts with another one across the top are for is a huge improvement over Mattocks et al.

18 hours ago, TRM said:

25 years old, free transfer, good with both feet and can play the lone forward role ...  :)

So I guess they will move Mattocks or let Hurtado continue his Norway loan. Interesting move.

Fingers crossed.  I really like Robinson, but I've never understood his belief in Mattocks.  He'd be a much better decathlete than a footballer.

10 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Fingers crossed.  I really like Robinson, but I've never understood his belief in Mattocks.  He'd be a much better decathlete than a footballer.

He doesn't give up on players easily. That is a good and bad thing. Maybe he felt that he needed coverage for Rivero in case of injury but so far none of the Caps forwards can play the lone forward anywhere near as good. Mind you none of them are making anywhere near what Rivero is.

22 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Whitecaps have signed a Japanese striker, so the play at the back in the J League is irrelevant.  Anyone who knows what those white posts with another one across the top are for is a huge improvement over Mattocks et al.

Ya it does. The quality of defending does affect how many goals a striker can score. It's obvious not the case everytime, IE Camilo who potted tons in Malta and turns out he can do the same in MLS, but just because you can score in a league with poor defending, it doesn't mean you can do the same in a league with higher quality defending.

17 hours ago, Yohan said:

Ya it does. The quality of defending does affect how many goals a striker can score. It's obvious not the case everytime, IE Camilo who potted tons in Malta and turns out he can do the same in MLS, but just because you can score in a league with poor defending, it doesn't mean you can do the same in a league with higher quality defending.

I think I just thought you were a bit harsh on the J League and it got my back up.  Having reread your post I see what you mean.

20 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

If Simeon Jackson signs then it looks like the caps would be done upgrading their group of forwards.

Kudo > Mattocks

Jackson > Hurtado

Is there any indication he is signing for the Whitecaps? I heard he is apparently on this side of the pond enjoying his holidays after his Barnsley spell, but as there anything more? I know Vancouver own his rights and all, but....

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is there any indication he is signing for the Whitecaps? I heard he is apparently on this side of the pond enjoying his holidays after his Barnsley spell, but as there anything more? I know Vancouver own his rights and all, but....

Just Twitter rumours at this point.

50 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Why are people comparing Jackson to a guy who wasn't even playing for the Whitecaps last year?

Hurtado was still on the depth chart and last I heard the plan was for him to be given another shot in the next training camp.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

We know that the Whitecaps owned (past tense) his rights. We are assuming they still do but we are not sure. They could have decided to drop him from their discovery list and replace him with somebody else for all we know.

3 hours ago, masster said:

We know that the Whitecaps owned (past tense) his rights. We are assuming they still do but we are not sure. They could have decided to drop him from their discovery list and replace him with somebody else for all we know.

And that has been confirmed by Weber:

638ec2496d0be070f4fdf35d72bea54b_normal. Marc Weber (@ProvinceWeber)
Whitecaps club official has told me that Simeon Jackson is not currently on their discovery list, contrary to reports. #vwfc#mls #canMNT

Archived