Whitecaps Offseason 2015-16

TRM

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/12/01/whitecaps-fc-announce-roster-moves

Whitecaps FC picked up the options on goalkeepers Marco Carducci and David Ousted, defenders Sam Adekugbe, Jordan Smith, and Tim Parker, midfielders Gershon Koffie and Nicolás Mezquida, as well as strikers Erik Hurtado, Kekuta Manneh, and Darren Mattocks.

Meanwhile, the club confirmed that it has declined the options on keeper Paolo Tornaghi, defenders Steven Beitashour, Pa-Modou Kah, and Ethen Sampson, midfielder Andre Lewis, and striker Caleb Clarke. The club remains in contact with all six players, as well as out-of-contract midfielder Mauro Rosales and striker Robert Earnshaw, regarding their future with the club.

So 20 spots spoken for and 10 left to fill. No word yet on Techera.

Goalkeepers (2): Marco Carducci, David Ousted

Defenders (6): Sam Adekugbe, Christian Dean, Jordan Harvey, Tim Parker, Jordan Smith, Kendall Waston

Midfielders (8): Marco Bustos, Kianz Froese, Gershon Koffie, Matías Laba, Ben McKendry, Nicolás Mezquida, Pedro Morales, Russell Teibert

Strikers (4): Erik Hurtado, Kekuta Manneh, Darren Mattocks, Octavio Rivero

As expected Rodriguez is gone, Flores and Techera still possibilities.

From the Whitecaps site:

"The ’Caps are also in talks with the parent clubs of midfielders Deybi Flores and Cristian Techera regarding their loan opportunities for 2016, while defender Diego Rodríguez has returned to his Uruguayan Primera Division team Club Atlético Juventud de Las Piedras."

Flores is young and apparently not too expensive so he fits in as a backup. Robo likes him and has been following his development for a few years. That said I think Kianz is ahead of him (for now) based on how they finished the season. Flores & Techera all depend on price. Tis a salary capped league at the end of the day.

I hope Robbo gives McKendry and Bustos a chance this year. They're just as good, or in my opinion, better than bums like Flores and Rosales.

Im tired of Robbo gets praise for playing "youth" when the only young academy player he seems to play was Kianz, instead relying on foreign young players he buys or brings in on loan.

I respect FC Dallas a lot more because they actually play academy players a lot.

So 20 spots spoken for and 8 left to fill. No word yet on Techera.

Goalkeepers (2): Marco Carducci, David Ousted

Defenders (6): Sam Adekugbe, Christian Dean, Jordan Harvey, Tim Parker, Jordan Smith, Kendall Waston

Midfielders (8): Marco Bustos, Kianz Froese, Gershon Koffie, Matías Laba, Ben McKendry, Nicolás Mezquida, Pedro Morales, Russell Teibert

Strikers (4): Erik Hurtado, Kekuta Manneh, Darren Mattocks, Octavio Rivero

Fixed your post.

I hope Robbo gives McKendry and Bustos a chance this year. They're just as good, or in my opinion, better than bums like Flores and Rosales.

Im tired of Robbo gets praise for playing "youth" when the only young academy player he seems to play was Kianz, instead relying on foreign young players he buys or brings in on loan.

I respect FC Dallas a lot more because they actually play academy players a lot.

I wouldn't miss either if they don't come back but I don't regard either as bums. Rosales is just too old for his style of play. Age has just caught up to him. As Robo himself pointed out Flores made a lot of mistakes. That's to be expected from most 19 year olds. Kianz also had some problems but both also had those "wow" moments.

He always brings in some foreign players but like Rodriguez found out you have to deliver. Parker leap frogged 4 other players and is now the solid #2 CB. Those are the type of performances that make you a starter and keep the spot. I'm still waiting for some academy players to do that. Sam was the closest (until injured) to pulling that one off. There will be more. It is agonizing sometimes but that's the way the sport is.

We'll see who steps up and takes a starting spot this year.

Watching MLS final what I was thinking was how much better these teams play than Vancouver. They are both tactically superior, and have more mature decision-making on the field. They get the best out of their players, though many Crew players were off their best today, partially because of the nerves of trying to get back from minute 1.

I look at the balance on Portland, and the quality talent of players like Nagbe, and well, I am jealous. Jealous of Dallas too, I think we need to improve the quality of our play and not worry so much about winning playoff games, since we did not have the quality to be a final 4 or finalist this year.

I'm happy for Portland but let's be honest. MLS playoffs are basically a crapshoot. For over half the competition, Portland didn't even look to make the playoffs. They only started to get some game in august, while the Caps had a great start but somewhat lost momentum (just like it's impossible for any team in this league to have consistent performances. It's just too many games in relation to the cap). 

Overall, it should have been New York Redbulls, DC, Dallas or the Whitecaps. Columbus and Portland were good throughout the season, but not the best IMO. They were just able to peak at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

I'm happy for Portland but let's be honest. MLS playoffs are basically a crapshoot. For over half the competition, Portland didn't even look to make the playoffs. They only started to get some game in august, while the Caps had a great start but somewhat lost momentum (just like it's impossible for any team in this league to have consistent performances. It's just too many games in relation to the cap). 

Overall, it should have been New York Redbulls, DC, Dallas or the Whitecaps. Columbus and Portland were good throughout the season, but not the best IMO. They were just able to peak at the end of the season. 

I agree, it feels like you are watching a League Cup game or something, it does not feel like a veritable championship. Or anywhere near a Champions final or even Europa League. Except maybe for fan presence.

I was rather disinterested in the game but watched it later. The first half was really bad for passing quality or lack thereof. Sloppy play was the rule. It got a better in the second half but still not great. Portland did peak at the right time and that is the whole secret to winning a short tournament like the MLS playoffs. Timing is everything.

I don't think Portland has anything to be jealous of (other than the cup). In a salary capped league with parity being the rule you all have problems to overcome. They got healthy and went on a roll at the end of the season. Credit to Portland as they beat the #2 and #3 teams in the league to get to the championship.

14 hours ago, shamrock said:

I'm happy for Portland but let's be honest. MLS playoffs are basically a crapshoot.

They peaked at the right time but also rode some good fortune (not unlike RSL in 2009).  Their opening round playoff elimination game at home to SKC could have gone either way, but they came back in ET to tie the match (kudos to them) and then the penalties went to the keepers shooting on each other.  Can't get much closer than that.

Elsewhere, Montreal peaked at the right time whereas TFC regressed and consequently went out with little more than a whimper in their first ever playoff game against the hotter Impact.

As for the Caps, they have a good defensive foundation to get them to the dance where, as we have seen, anything can happen in this league.

As much as I would love to see Russ get more time I'd miss Gersh a ton. He's been with the team since he was 18 and watching him develop has been great. Russ will still have to face not just Flores but Kianz as well. I can see a 4-1-4-1 formation with Laba as the only DM and one of the other 3 being the box to box guy. Right now I'd put money on Kianz taking the position.

Archived