CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying -Texas Tournament - Feb 10-21st

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, The Ref said:

What does Herdman see in Stephanie Labbé?  what a pathetic choice.  It is a lack of respect to the rest of the team choosing such a poor keeper, specially when he has the second best sitting on the bench, I mean Sabrina D'Angelo.

Well she was pretty weak on that goal.

Injuries aside, Canada isn't looking to play soccer. We just boot it and act aggressively. You can't maintain a high press the entire game. Eventually you will be broken down by a team playing the ball on the ground. Our team has no ideas what to do with the ball.

This is like mid 90s CMNT tactics. This style of play can't win games against good opponents who look to play the proper way.

Stop booting it and try to play some combinations. When you get in the attacking third, don't jump lump it in the middle, try a combination.

12 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Injuries aside, Canada isn't looking to play soccer. We just boot it and act aggressively. You can't maintain a high press the entire game. Eventually you will be broken down by a team playing the ball on the ground. Our team has no ideas what to do with the ball.

This is like mid 90s CMNT tactics. This style of play can't win games against good opponents who look to play the proper way.

Stop booting it and try to play some combinations. When you get in the attacking third, don't jump lump it in the middle, try a combination.

They need a coach not a politician who just like to hear himself talk.

5 minutes ago, The Ref said:

They need a coach not a politician who just like to hear himself talk.

As much as I think Herdman is overhyped, I have to wonder, are these ladies properly trained before they get to the CMWT?

Are they properly coached on movements off the ball, getting into space, combination play?

i know the Rex program is trying to address this, but what can Herdmann do with players who have very little creativity on the ball? 

On 2/20/2016 at 8:11 PM, rob.notenboom said:

Can we have a warm up tournament vs some minnows. Everyone just lob balls into Sinclair for her to head in. Heck, Wambach fed off that her whole career. 

Exactly, when Sinclair is out we spread the game, control the ball and build up an attack, whenshe is  in the rule is whack it to her no matter what, very clear when watching live.

Herdman needs to understand, and it is clear from game vs CR, Sinclair can score, but it is from build up by others and her being capable of putting ball in net.

Route one Newcastle style will not cut it any more. Herdman needs to up his coaching game.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe it is a sign of desperation, but this game has been far more long-ball than I have seen all tourney.  I know the quality of the opposition is vastly different, but it's like we aren't even trying to play the same kind of footy that got us here.

The ability to keep possession under pressure is far different than doing so with no pressure.

Karina Leblanc on the broadcast, says the two biggest problems today were "set pieces" and "defensive shape"

Is she on crack? How about 1) no intelligent off the ball movement 2) lack of close ball control 3) lack of combination play.

Enough of this ridiculous talk about "effort" and "high pressure" and "winning 2nd balls"

Where the hell was the technical ability today? Anyone?

13 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

As much as I think Herdman is overhyped, I have to wonder, are these ladies properly trained before they get to the CMWT?

Are they properly coached on movements off the ball, getting into space, combination play?

i know the Rex program is trying to address this, but what can Herdmann do with players who have very little creativity on the ball?

They actually have the skills and creativity, he is constraining them, watching games live in a quiet stadium his coaching weakness is exposed in terms of touch line direction.

10 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

Karina Leblanc on the broadcast, says the two biggest problems today were "set pieces" and "defensive shape"

Is she on crack? How about 1) no intelligent off the ball movement 2) lack of close ball control 3) lack of combination play.

Enough of this ridiculous talk about "effort" and "high pressure" and "winning 2nd balls"

Where the hell was the technical ability today? Anyone?

Leblanc talks too much and everyone is a top player for her.  Started to turn off the volume a few games back.

2 hours ago, Trillium said:

Exactly, when Sinclair is out we spread the game, control the ball and build up an attack, whenshe is  in the rule is whack it to her no matter what, very clear when watching live.

Herdman needs to understand, and it is clear from game vs CR, Sinclair can score, but it is from build up by others and her being capable of putting ball in net.

Route one Newcastle style will not cut it any more. Herdman needs to up his coaching game.

I'd be curious to see the number of direct passes thumped into nowhere prior to Sinclair subbing in, and the number after. Looked like a lot of route one prior, although after their 2nd goal the US started sitting back. 

Additionally, there was a high percentage of times players had teammates open, and either missed them with the pass, balked and got closed down, or hoofed the ball into nowhere. There are some players who are more consistent offenders than others. This leads me to believe it is at least as much about skill as coaching, if not more so. 

[ 1 ] It seems like Labbe is always good for one bad goal .

[ 2 ] This  is probably the best that Melissa  Tancredi  has looked in over a year --  necessarily physical, smartly   created a little bit ,but her athletic limitations are undeniable  and her current best is still not very good. The  Algarve Cup is in ten days , Canada should use that tournament  to find/develop more center forwards.

[ 3 ] This was not a very technical starting line-up , mostly just athletes who are there to be physical, defensive , and to keep the game close until Herdman subbed  in his offensive threats later in the game. At the start, this line up  was able to possess the ball a little but they didn’t generate much attack up front by Melissa Tancredi and  Nichelle Prince . As the game wore on, they inevitably  ended  up sitting back, absorbing  USWNT  pressure, and  making panicked long-ball clearances.  By the time Herdman made his subs ( Matheson, Sinclair, Schmidt) it was too late, Canada was down by two goals. Aside from Kadeisha  Buchanan and Shelina Zadorsky most of this  starting line up struggled. Rhian Wilkinson and Josee Belanger had trouble battling 17-year old striker,  Mallory Pugh.  Allysha Chapman seems to have a bit blind spot for attackers out wide. Desiree Scott  seems to be slipping a little and Rebecca   Quinn is only a marginal upgrade on Kaylyn Kyle in the midfield  ( Kyle is slow at this level  but she has better vision and is a better passer than Quinn. Quinn is slightly quicker than Kyle but her passes are wayward and she’s slow to make defensive challenges.)

[  4 ] Overall , since this is meaningless game and the line up wasn’t the best , a  2 – 0 loss isn’t that bad.

I don't see what the fierceness is about here after the loss.  Our 11th ranked team didn't beat the best team in the world, and I wasn't expecting them to.  We didn't give the Americans a lot to sweat over in their penalty area, but then again, they didn't get to control the game either.  They were better, stretching us to beyond our comfort level, but not so much that they could play as they liked.  I think we did well today.

Oh yeah, I was worried about having someone as young as Shelina Zadorsky in the back line, but she wasn't even close to being a liability.  I'm pleasantly surprised at how well that worked out.

Was I happy with the "good loss"? Yes, but let's not start with that stuff, we play to win period.

I think Labbe has burnt that bridge, I've seen her play before, out of her element. But this is on Herdman, scratched my head with the line up choice.

Now if I hear them talk about giving the younger players some experience, I think they should have played more of them.

Stats-Pass Completions; the Experienced ones ( Sinclair/Wilkinson/Trancredi/Belanger)combined  41%!!! The Younger ones (Quinn/Zadorsky/Buchanan/Lawrence) combined 70.5%!! Nuff said on that.

Next what is with Herdman constantly yelling and directing from sideline ? Reminds me of that irritant Rosenfeld, shut up already, let them play. You don't see the other coaches doing that, rarely anyways.

Substitutes were used too late.

Tancredi should have been subbed off at half. You could tell the tank was drained. Should have put Beckie in and/or Carle, you know you're down 2-0 with 15min left, go for the win!

One shot on goal?? Pathetic really. no service and when there was a decent cross only one redshirt in a sea of white.

Witnessed theRebirth of the long ball again. And for gods sake look up before you just kick it away.

Starting Rhian Wilkinson? Really?? She is a great person, but really. Thank God for our centre backs.

As for Katrina in the broadcast booth, I thought she did well. Certainly improved tonight. Better style. Keep it up K. However, you and Dobson really don't have to talk constantly during the game.

sorry people, I'm kind of all over the place. Herd an, use D'Angelo next time !

All looked great right up to the final where then the reality of that we will never again compete with the top countries of this game was obvious  . Herdman can say what he wants and is paid to sell , though issue is we do not have developed ,skilled footballers and no sign of it even in our youth that were called up in comparison to the USAs youth . CSA needs to address the Grass Roots Coaching issue if  they want to compete with the best 

Herdman is over rated and believe his time is done ,he truly showed his classless self as an individual   by throwing his silver medal in to the stands . Honestly what message does that send to his young players  

I am definitely not trying to rip on the whole team.  I was really happy with the younger players coming up through the system.  There is a solid core of players 21 and under that should serve us well over the next couple of cycles.  And I actually like the high pressing game.  Maybe it is because my Spurs use it too, but there was good pressure high up the pitch, and we caused numerous turnovers in dangerous positions throughout the tournament.

I just don't understand the whole shift in mentality that I saw in the game vs the US.  Maybe it is a bit of an inferiority complex that kicks in, but we need to learn to play footy against those girls.  I get that the US will beat us almost every time - there is a reason they are ranked #1.  But hoofing it up field every time will never ever beat a team like that.

Archived