CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying -Texas Tournament - Feb 10-21st

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shermanator said:

This team was supposed to have trouble with Trinidad and Tobago hey? 4-0 through 67 minutes begs to differ with that theory.

And Sinclair scores 2 minutes into her appearance on the day. Clearly washed up.

Four to zero without Sinclair, lots of spark in the team with a varied attack, Rose was dangerous Matheson in many way more so...Schmitt good in midfield.

Yes Sinclair scored when she came in, but it is not like more goals were not already coming, Flemming could have popped in more as the game wound down.

Interesting to see US team staff analising the game, hopefully Tuesday Herdman will use same starters and only bring in subs after 80 minutes, we need to be mentally strong for the Semi final game, win that and a result in the final is only for bragging rights.

12 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Four to zero without Sinclair, lots of spark in the team with a varied attack, Rose was dangerous Matheson in many way more so...Schmitt good in midfield.

Yes Sinclair scored when she came in, but it is not like more goals were not already coming, Flemming could have popped in more as the game wound down.

Interesting to see US team staff analising the game, hopefully Tuesday Herdman will use same starters and only bring in subs after 80 minutes, we need to be mentally strong for the Semi final game, win that and a result in the final is only for bragging rights.

Our defence this game was terrible though; against a better team we would have conceided a goal. T&T didn't bunker the same way Guyana did.

I'm finding the turnover project (refreshing the team with new faces) very interesting to watch. Needless to say, to keep up with the improving teams in the women's game, the Canadian women need to have players with more skill on the ball, tactical acumen, etc. I'm not saying they are there yet, not by a long shot. But the additions have been pretty encouraging. Ashley Lawrence being played out of position today was excellent going forward. Her cross to Tanc was unusual ... high quality delivery that I'm unused to seeing with the women (didn't hurt that Tanc was poorly marked however). Belanger also looks great going forward. Skinned the defender on her side numerous times. Additionally she is obviously working on her left foot as it is getting better. 

Quinn, Zadorsky, Rose, Fleming ... not saying they are lighting it up by any means, but I think an argument can be made that they are upgrades from their predecessors (referring to Quinn's play during the Brazil tournament which was impressive). 

I wonder if we will see Carle on Tuesday.

I agree about Belanger; she's been playing great this tournament.  I wanted her to win player of the year in 2015, thinking that may have been her best and only chance.  But if she keeps this up, I think she's going to have another chance this year.

25 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I agree about Belanger; she's been playing great this tournament.  I wanted her to win player of the year in 2015, thinking that may have been her best and only chance.  But if she keeps this up, I think she's going to have another chance this year.

I was lobbying for her as well. But I can see the case for Buchanan too. 

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Our defence this game was terrible though; against a better team we would have conceided a goal. T&T didn't bunker the same way Guyana did.

Scott was especially poor today. She gifted T&T that chance when it was still only 1-0 and gave the ball away too many times. The yellow card means she'll likely sit out the match against Guatemala too.

1 hour ago, sloth8 said:

Scott was especially poor today. She gifted T&T that chance when it was still only 1-0 and gave the ball away too many times. The yellow card means she'll likely sit out the match against Guatemala too.

Do I have it wrong or was Quinn playing a DM spot in the Brazil tournament? Seemed to me she did really well there too.

21 hours ago, The Ref said:

The best game I've seen Canada play in a long time.  Herdman got it right with all the new players.

Looked much better live there is a better spark in the play in the first half, Herdman should/needs to sit Sinclair on Wednesday and go with the new mix till the eighty minute mark, if he puts Sinclair on for the full game it is marketing BS by CSA to have her get goals and build to an all time scoring leader, knowing full well the easy pickings of the past are fading.

Keep Sinclair for Friday against a Mexican team who stretched the Americans, CONCACAF female referees, may be swayed by her presence the choice of officials may be crucial.

Win on Friday with Sinclair, then in final with nothing but bragging rights at stake, let her come in late, blood the young ones, let them build confidence in a game where pressure is lessened.

I would be happy to seeTancredi in vs Mexico let her physicality send a message in tandem with Sinclair.

I could see Fleming held out against Mexico as she has a tendency do great ball control, but get caught holding on one step too long.

51 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

Wow. Costa Rica with the 2-1 upset over Mexico and so they'll finish in second place!

Wow indeed! Heads might roll at the FMF. The Mexicans poured a lot of money into their prep this time; they played the tournament in Brazil in December, then went to China for the 4-nations. Congrats to Costa Rica!

37 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wow indeed! Heads might roll at the FMF. The Mexicans poured a lot of money into their prep this time; they played the tournament in Brazil in December, then went to China for the 4-nations. Congrats to Costa Rica!

The Ticas keep growing.  Hard to believe that Mexico lost with all the stars they have, to say nothing of the old fox Cuellar.  Well done Ticas.

5 hours ago, The Ref said:

The Ticas keep growing.  Hard to believe that Mexico lost with all the stars they have, to say nothing of the old fox Cuellar.  Well done Ticas.

Charlyn Corral who has retired internationally at the age of 24 unless some change is happening at FMF means the end for Cuellar methinks. 

[ 1 ]  Leo Cuellar omitted Charlyn Corral from Mexico's roster stating  that she " fell back " as a striker -- last  week she was the leading scorer in the Primera Division de la Liga de Futbol Feminino ( Spain's top flight women's league)  playing for Levante UD. ( She's currently tied for second place)  In addition, it's believed that should Leo Cuellar retire that his son will take over managing the Mexican women's team !

[ 2 ] Canada needs to be mindful of Raquel (Rocky )  Rodriguez, the Costa Rican forward/midfielder, in the semi-final  on friday.  She has 5 goals in this tournament and last summer, she scored Costa Rica's first ever goal in a WWC . In addition, she's the 2015 Mac Herrmann Trophy winner ( Penn State )  and Topdrawersoccer's 2015 Player of the Year. She was also drafted second overall in the 2016 NWSL college draft (Sky Blue).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=raquel+rodriguez+soccer

if we lose tonight, there will be lots of discussion filled with gloom, doom and anguish. There will be calls for Herdman's head, revamping the development structure, more funding is needed, we need a league, Sinclair is finished etc...Otherwise, it is is ho hum.

And if we beat the Americans on Sunday, there will be trumpets sounding the genius of Herdman, satisfaction that we have arrived as a football nation, x player will be the next rising star & non-stop hype about being a lock for Olympic gold.

Archived