Ballou Tabla

shermanator

In that same clip he is seen digging into Amar and Quito as well, so yeah, that's exactly who Henry is a coach. The point here is that you don't know what the relationship between Henry and every single one of his players is, aside from what you are seeing in some clips, selectively chosen by MLS editors, nonetheless. I agree Henry is a bit of a dick, and as a player he was always a bit of an arrogant dick, which is just carrying over as a coach, but that doesn't really give anyone reasonable reason to believe he is out to make a given player's life miserable. And trust me, Henry is not unique.. I'd argue Simeone is as bad or worse when it comes to digging into his players.

Edited by LeoH037

Some of the Henry comments I did not mind, in fact in some he was likely right ("not one ---two---- three: one--two"). Though, again, practice this like hell. Do double sessions if you have to. Because no team can have possession and move forward through the midfield into the attack if they can't all do control-pass, control-pass.

But hey, even on the best Barça, the tiki-taka team, we had players widely admired who could not do this, Pique touches one, two, three, think a bit, scratch beard, pass... In his prime he was a great defender, but a slow thinker passing. He rarely makes any pass that adds anything to the team. And likely no coach ever required it from him.

Again, since those comments are a condensation of what seems to be 45 minutes, and its not even 1min of banter, I don't think it is that grave.

personally, i found his approach offensive and counter productive.  Demeaning his players does not inspire them (at least most) and just results in bitterness and questioning your confidence.  As others have said, these things should be done on the training ground and then quietly reinforced in one on one chats in the video room and elsewhere.  What I found even more offensive is how he said everything.  There was almost nothing positive in how he said any of it not matter what he actually said.  It was pure frustration and it came through in everything he said.  If I was the GM or President, I would be having a quiet word with him to improve his demeanor and possibly even sending him to a "coach" himself to improve his interactions with his players.

14 minutes ago, An Observer said:

personally, i found his approach offensive and counter productive.  Demeaning his players does not inspire them (at least most) and just results in bitterness and questioning your confidence.  As others have said, these things should be done on the training ground and then quietly reinforced in one on one chats in the video room and elsewhere.  What I found even more offensive is how he said everything.  There was almost nothing positive in how he said any of it not matter what he actually said.  It was pure frustration and it came through in everything he said.  If I was the GM or President, I would be having a quiet word with him to improve his demeanor and possibly even sending him to a "coach" himself to improve his interactions with his players.

Exactly.. you did... but you don't get to define what offends and doesn't offend the individual players. Its easy to single out Henry here since the video puts him in the spotlight, but if you were to mic up every coach in the league then I have a good feeling every coach would just end up offending you... 

uhhhh.  Someone is a dick or they are not.  He is a dick from what he said.  If other coaches in the MLS or other leagues do the same thing, they are dicks too.  Of course, you are free to disagree with my definition (and to be clear, being a dick is offensive).  And in my mind, doing that to your players never has positive results.  For every player that may respond to that, you are going to have multiples that don't.  Look, I manage a fairly large team at work.  Demeaning people (including people that are paid more than most of these MLS players) is never a good strategy. Its true that different people respond to different approaches.  Some people only respond to positive reinforcement, some need to be kicked every now and again (but in private), others need you to put an arm around them figuratively, others will always remember if you done them a favour in a time of need and be loyal to you forever...its all different but the one common thread is treating people with respect.  Once people live in fear of being demeaned and belittled, they shut down and their performance goes down (and they usually leave).  Some are better at shutting it out than others but even then, there is a better approach to get more out of them. If you think that is not correct, that's fine but if you have taken any management training recently, you will know that what I have written above is the basis of it.  And that applies to "managers" in football as much as the real world.

"Someone is a dick or they are not" sure, however the definition of who and who isn't objective 😛Naturally you make a sound argument, but its breaks down because fundamentally you can't compare the management of a team in whichever line of work you are in with that of a team full of professional athletes, in a line of work where the nature of the job will have emotions running high..  on top of that, err.. you are blindly assuming that whatever is  considered to be acceptable behavior in your line of work must also be what is considered acceptable behavior in a sporting setting, which is not.. 

Many ways to skin a cat.  Hard nose, easy going friendly guys, teachers/motivators, aloof delegators etc etc.  But the players need to buy into it and it needs to work, you need to win.  It seems like Henry isnt getting things to work and not just with Tabla.  Plus he needs to keep a coaching for dummies book in his pocket explaining MLS subs until he learns.  

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

"Someone is a dick or they are not" sure, however the definition of who and who isn't objective 😛Naturally you make a sound argument, but its breaks down because fundamentally you can't compare the management of a team in whichever line of work you are in with that of a team full of professional athletes, in a line of work where the nature of the job will have emotions running high..  on top of that, err.. you are blindly assuming that whatever is  considered to be acceptable behavior in your line of work must also be what is considered acceptable behavior in a sporting setting, which is not.. 

dont agree but cant be bothered to argue. we can agree to disagree

I have a strong suspicion that, for whatever faults and fragility, Ballou Tabla will still be a professional footballer years after Thierry Henry's career as a manager has gone up in smoke. We might see Henry hang on for a few years in some Mickey Mouse jobs, though. He'll probably end up as the novelty manager of Martinique at some point.

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

dont agree but cant be bothered to argue. we can agree to disagree

You make the fundamental sports message board error of mistaking “pro athletes” for human beings doing a job for pay. Remember, they’re our idols and they’re only doing it for us in the stands. The only emotion that drives them is on-field success.

Edited by The Real Marc

23 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would rather see him go to CPL and lock down a starting role and get a lot of playing time.  I am not sure he gets that sort of playing time for the Caps.  

Watching the Island Games this summer made me appreciate the level of play even more than before. Players are on top of you in a split second when you get the ball and they press you aggressively.  It may not be MLS, but somewhere on here (the threads sometimes blur together) someone was claiming that it is a big step down and not a good alternative for MLS fringe players to go to CPL.  After watching a lot of games really closely, I very much disagree.   Fringe MLS guys (Bekker, Telfer, DeJong, etc) are no so far above the other players that they show the disparity.  There is a lot of talent in CPL at both ends of the pitch and I think it would be a great spot for a guy like Tabla to get back on track.  

I thought Vancouver because MDS likes to play CDNS and for someone who maybe thought he was too good to play for Canada (vs IC), I'm not sure he would take a step down and play in CPL (even though I think he should).

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Another article on Ballou’s trajectory at the Impact.  I had to use google translate to get the content - but the overall assessment was not lost in translation.  

https://www.fm1047.ca/nouvelles/sports/348907/la-carriere-de-ballou-peut-elle-etre-sauvee

Article mentions they would need to protect him from the expansion draft. It wouldn't be the worse thing if they didn't and I can see an expansion team giving it a shot based on the age and resume.

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Article mentions they would need to protect him from the expansion draft. It wouldn't be the worse thing if they didn't and I can see an expansion team giving it a shot based on the age and resume.

It certainly seems like his odds of playing under Henry again are slim to nil.