Ballou Tabla

shermanator

I once subbed off a 15 year old kid about 20 seconds after half time because he did not execute a very clear and direct instruction (of course, there were unlimited subs so he still got some shifts in, but the principle is the same). Sometimes sending a message publicly is the entire point. I don't know the specifics of this situation so I can't say whether I agree or disagree, but to act like such a decision is always incorrect is wrong imo.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

So down 3 in 87th minute and you pull an offensive player you just put on??  Thats one way to do things I guess.  I wonder how Henry's management style will go over in USL-1 or whatever lower league he sinks to after this??  

To be fair, Montreal was down by 3 before the sub and then after the sub Montreal scored to only lose by 2.

Interesting (and not very encouraging) article that talks about Tabla in the context of a preview for tonight’s game:

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/342920/un-autre-match-de-six-points-pour-l-impact

———

Je ne parle pas, so I had to use google translate but the picture it paints isn’t good:

“On Monday, no questions could be asked about the Ballou case, nor the NYCFC player who contracted COVID-19, or even the transfer window which closed on Thursday. Several journalists who wished to ask questions on these subjects were refused the right to speak.

Where is Ballou going?

Since we have just touched on the subject, the Jean-Yves Ballou Tabla dossier continues to generate ink. In the very last game, the young Impact midfielder was kicked out of the game by the coach, just minutes after entering. A real slap in the face of the young Quebecer.

It was not the first time that Henry has expressed his dissatisfaction with the performance of the talented player.

Remember that at the end of last season he was sidelined by coach Wilmer Cabrera after being late for training. Ballou then had to do his mea-culpa publicly.

Not to mention that the previous coach Rémi Garde had also had a problem with Ballou, and this, from his very first game under his command.

And let’s not forget that Mauro Biello was also telling us lip service that Ballou had to learn to become a "real professional". He was still young at the time, and everyone was willing to give him time to mature.

But we have to admit that several years later, Ballou has not changed and his career is stagnant. At one point, four coaches can't all be wrong. Ballou has to seriously look at himself in the mirror, and decide what he wants to do with his career.

He still has a year of contract with the Impact, the club also has an option year on his contract for 2022.”

ouch

Edited by dyslexic nam

His coach at FC Barcelona B, García Pimenta, was happy with him, and played him. He was never benched. And he was disciplined and played well, nothing spectacular, but fans liked him and appreciated him,. There were no complaints about behaviour, nor attitude. He took a bad loan deal and did not play, but was never ostracized by FCB. 

So instead of drawing conclusions selectively, include all the data. Don't be a bunch of shiiits.

He's clearly a kid who has some confidence problems, and perhaps some anxiety; he has talent but lacks mentality to make it work effectively on the pitch. But taking a player out just after subbing him in is ethically deplorable. I am surprised that so many fans on this board do not understand this. It is dirty, and someone boasting about doing it to a youth player, well that really bothers me.

If you are a youth coach, you act like an adult, take responsibility for your decisions, let a player discover what he can do and do not require him to strictly "follow instructions" as if he was doing a worksite safety protocol. For anyone here coaching youth, be clear about this: don't take out your defects on a kid who is there to learn.

As for pros, it is simple, from day one. If you don't like the way he plays, don't play him. And if you don't like how he trains, then don't call him into your gameday roster. And if you don't think he has anything to offer your club, look at his contract and see if someone else will take it on, buying the player or taking him on loan so he's out of sight. That is the clearest and most honest message. Anything else is a serious lack of character on your part as a coach.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

^ yeah that was dead wrong from henry..you are down at the 72nd minute and put him in and the next two conceded have nothing to do with ballou..dont destroy the player..you put him in at the 72nd to give him 18 minutes while the team is already losing so let him get those 18 minutes..you have a problem deal with it after the game or dont play him next time but that was disgusting..on the second goal wanyama is jogging back instead of sprinting to the player running in who scored..then on the third on a corner two players go up for the ball and miss it and it goes to an open player who scores..seems like he is looking for the wrong culprit instead of looking at his own coaching and players making mistakes leading to goals

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

His coach at FC Barcelona B, García Pimenta, was happy with him, and played him. He was never benched. And he was disciplined and played well, nothing spectacular, but fans liked him and appreciated him,. There were no complaints about behaviour, nor attitude. He took a bad loan deal and did not play, but was never ostracized by FCB. 

So instead of drawing conclusions selectively, include all the data. Don't be a bunch of shiiits.

He's clearly a kid who has some confidence problems, and perhaps some anxiety; he has talent but lacks mentality to make it work effectively on the pitch. But taking a player out just after subbing him in is ethically deplorable. I am surprised that so many fans on this board do not understand this. It is dirty, and someone boasting about doing it to a youth player, well that really bothers me.

If you are a youth coach, you act like an adult, take responsibility for your decisions, let a player discover what he can do and do not require him to strictly "follow instructions" as if he was doing a worksite safety protocol. For anyone here coaching youth, be clear about this: don't take out your defects on a kid who is there to learn.

As for pros, it is simple, from day one. If you don't like the way he plays, don't play him. And if you don't like how he trains, then don't call him into your gameday roster. And if you don't think he has anything to offer your club, look at his contract and see if someone else will take it on, buying the player or taking him on loan so he's out of sight. That is the clearest and most honest message. Anything else is a serious lack of character on your part as a coach.

I don’t want to get into a big debate about it, but you seem to be looking at things more selectively than the critics.  Henry seems like a shite manager and I totally agree that is was a crap thing to to when he subbed him off 3 minutes before time.  But Ballou has had more persistent issues than what we have seen in the last couple of games with Henry.  

54 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ethically deplorable is not how I would describe subbing out Ballou, but the bolded part is a very fair criticism in my opinion. You're right, perhaps Henry should know better. He should know Tabla well enough by now to know what he is getting (or not getting, as it were), but do you know what? I am happy Henry doesn't know better. I am happy he is still giving him chances despite it being clear Tabla is clearly unable to do what was asked. I prefer this situation to him not getting a chance at all.

As for Pimenta being happy with him, that is at least a good sign. We mustn't cheery pick, so thanks for bringing that up. I do agree he was very good at Barca B despite not being a stand-out. Unfortunately, that was the past and is not his current state. At present he is not reaching his potential and some of that can be placed on Henry/Garde/Cabrera/Biello, but Tabla gets the most blame in my opinion. 

And it works both ways. I have no issue giving Tabla most of the credit for doing well under Pimenta. 

I suspect Tabla doing good or bad is primarily down to Tabla. 

Edited by Obinna

On 10/25/2020 at 10:09 AM, Big_M said:

subbed in at 73 then nyc score two goals and hes subbed out at 87..probably the end of him at impact at least in the henry era..would like him to go back to spain in the third tier get some starts and see where he can go from there

not in the 20 tonight

9 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

No shock there. His days in Montreal are probably numbered. Would love to see TFC grab him, he still has talent and he is way better than Gallardo ( who should be on his way out) and Endoh.  And if he pans out gives TFC another Canadian who can play.

I wonder how much he might really need to be close to family, which his odd return to Impact makes you think. 

He also probably needs some work on psychology, which I am saying on a performance level, nothing personal as that would be overstepping. There are other things that young players can do, like yoga, which I recommend for emerging goalkeepers (since they have long stretches without seeing play, and could find themselves long periods on the bench), but which could be positive for any player, as long as your instruction is competent and includes some of the mental aspects.

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

No shock there. His days in Montreal are probably numbered. Would love to see TFC grab him, he still has talent and he is way better than Gallardo ( who should be on his way out) and Endoh.  And if he pans out gives TFC another Canadian who can play.

Vanney is very strict. He wants  his players to play a certain way on and off the ball. Tabla couldn't do that under multiple managers. There's no way in hell he'll be able to do it under Vanney.

3 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Vanney is very strict. He wants  his players to play a certain way on and off the ball. Tabla couldn't do that under multiple managers. There's no way in hell he'll be able to do it under Vanney.

Yeah he's not going from mid to lower table Montreal and playing on TFC. His next move is probably to Atletico Ottawa. 

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder how much he might really need to be close to family, which his odd return to Impact makes you think. 

He also probably needs some work on psychology, which I am saying on a performance level, nothing personal as that would be overstepping. There are other things that young players can do, like yoga, which I recommend for emerging goalkeepers (since they have long stretches without seeing play, and could find themselves long periods on the bench), but which could be positive for any player, as long as your instruction is competent and includes some of the mental aspects.

If you had a magic wand you could give Tabla the personality of David or Davies, but bearing that I think a sports psychologist could help. Maybe.

I am still not convinced though. I think David is more in need of such a thing than Tabla. Why? Because David just needs to re-discover that quality which allows him to finish the final action. Everything else is good, such as his work rate, his off the ball movement. He is getting chances, so he just needs to finish them.

Tabla does not have that issue. For Tabla, his issue seems to be attitude and/or following instruction. A sports psychologist would not fix that, would they? Seems to be a matter of personality more than anything. 

On 10/26/2020 at 6:06 PM, El Diego said:

I once subbed off a 15 year old kid about 20 seconds after half time because he did not execute a very clear and direct instruction (of course, there were unlimited subs so he still got some shifts in, but the principle is the same). Sometimes sending a message publicly is the entire point. I don't know the specifics of this situation so I can't say whether I agree or disagree, but to act like such a decision is always incorrect is wrong imo.

This has no place in youth soccer (or any sport).  For the large majority of kids, who are emotionally developing at this age, this will only alienate them from the sport.  This is an empirically documented fact.

Unreal.

26 minutes ago, SF said:

This has no place in youth soccer (or any sport).  For the large majority of kids, who are emotionally developing at this age, this will only alienate them from the sport.  This is an empirically documented fact.

Unreal.

The weird thing is that Diego is almost bragging about having done this to a child.

I've seen and met a number of coaches who do similar in youth sport. 

That youth coaches look to professional coaches as behavioral models is to completely misunderstand the role of the youth coach. 

There has been much studied and written on this matter and the conclusions are overwhelming and clear.

I find this equal parts infuriating and sad.

I'm no expert on whats going on in MTL but people thought that when Henry came in he was going to be a great role model and do wonders for Tabla. Yet, since the start Henry's attitude seems to be, I dont know what this kids problem is? I'm not going to get my hands dirty trying to sort him out because everyone knows this is just a pit stop for me on my way to some fancy pants job back in Europe. I've already been ordained so I have no time for this

59 minutes ago, SF said:

Unreal.

Tell me about it. I remember my team was losing 7-0. My team could barely string 2 passes.

I barely played in that match. Everytime he subbed me in, I was off in about 2-3 mins. I wasn't even on the field for any of the goals conceded. Was given no time at all just to get into the rhythm of things. It was insulting and extremely embarrassing. The last time I was subbed, I said enough and just went home. Completely shattered my confidence and made me question if I should bother showing up to future matches.

12 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

In regards to the constant yelling at Ballou mentioned a couple pages back, seems to be in his nature of coaching..

From his Punditry days he came across as very pleasant but definitely not as a manager. He just seems to get upset often and to be honest players don't seem to respond to his methods. This is why he didn't last at Monaco and probably won't last at Montreal. Frankly he isn't much of a tactician either 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The irony is that MTL have been absolutely clueless about how to break down Nashville tonight.  They could use someone with a bit of creative flair and the skill to ghost by a guy or two. 

Yes, I think Henry has more problems than Tabla, they look awful tonight and as you say they can't break this team down!