shermanator

Ballou Tabla

There's a short note in the press today in Sport saying that Ballou not starting the last three games means he has lost a bit of a role on the team. The article is in relation to the story that Barça B are about to buy Gabriel Novaes, a 19 year old from Sao Paulo they'll send to a 2nd division team.

I take it with a grain of salt as the papers can often get the information skewed, but it is true, he hasn't started any of the last three matches. The fact that he has trained first team could be taken either way as well.

In any case, a player like Ballou definitely needs a push, from seeing him play I agree he has to take a step up, especially when he does have the ball, he has to engage a bit more, take on defenders more effectively, get the most of his minutes, and be involved in chances and goals. 

41 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Yep, he's in danger at Barca 

Back to Montréal Impact? They definitely need an attacking midfielder capable of playing right wing.

19 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Back to Montréal Impact? They definitely need an attacking midfielder capable of playing right wing.

Knowing Montreal, they'd bench him. He wanted out because of that. Hoping Barca tries to loan him or another Euro side gives him another shot

7 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

Nah, I think if he come back to MLS, it would be to another team. I don't think the Impact would want to spend what is needed in the allocation ranking to get him.  

5 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Nah, I think if he come back to MLS, it would be to another team. I don't think the Impact would want to spend what is needed in the allocation ranking to get him.  

Toronto FC?

Just kidding.

Seriously though, if it doesn't work out at Barca B, I think he'll be moving to another La Liga team. The Honduran Lozano moved from Barca B to Grinoa, and he was 23 when he moved. Tabla is 19 and has much more upside, so at the very least I would expect a club at least equal to Grinoa, if he moves at all.

Edited by Obinna

I don't think the squad really works the way some are saying, that Ballou is in danger of his spot or anything, or that they'll move him. They have a lot of players in the mix, everyone will get their chance, they are all in a developmental mode, and there is a lot of rotation. Until recently, in fact, they were rotating three keepers and one has 10 matches, the other 2 six each. Maybe thirty players have seen the pitch for them this season.

I read it more like they are obliged to keep signing, and the players on the team have to compete for spots and not relax. 

The player Merveil is a left footer who is a second striker or left wing, so they say. And normally Barça would never play a lefty on the left, he'd be on the right. So that is not Ballou's spot. In Spanish 2nd division Merveil did not score, so it is not like he is way more prolific than Ballou.

Apart from that, he is only a loan for the remainder of the season, while Tabla is under contract until summer 2020. Last week's game is the only of the season he did not get minutes being in Barcelona and not with Canada. He's figured in 18 of 22 matches. If you are in that situation, and they suggest you go out on loan, you say no because there is no reason to, you are already getting minutes. 

edit: I agree with @Obinna that any loan would likely be to a Spanish 2nd division side if it were to happen. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Wow that was quick, there was  nothing in the press until now. I literally was checking the Barça b twitter account an hour ago. Going to a 2nd division side that has been in top flight and is fighting to get back is a great move. I'm fine with it. 

The article says the sporting director of Alba values the fact he has 2nd division experience, has played MLS, and has played with Canada. Remember that Whitecaps just signed Erice out of Albacete, so that is the equivalence. As many will recall, it's the club Benito Floro is most closely associated with in Spain, since he took it to first division for the 1st time in its history. If he had not done that, Iniesta would never have been discovered, playing a tournament vs. other Liga teams when he was like 12.

Article also says that he had multiple options and that the club was pleased he had chosen them. 

Albacete is a medium-sized provincial capital, the stadium holds 17,000. They are one point back of a direct promotion to top flight spot with about 20 games left. The team is fairly journeyman and modest, in fact it promoted just a few years ago. Erice was their leading playmaker (the replacement they signed is Muntari, former Inter and AC Milan), they have a nutty Ukrainian striker, Zozulia, who got in hot water a season or two back for apparently fascist leanings. It is not really clear to me they need Ballou, but maybe want an option to open up defenses as their strikers are more physical than tricky. They are actually scoring at a decent rate.

The coach says he likes him because he's quick and takes defenders on.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

So perhaps the plan to loan Ballou was why he did not appear in the last 3 games for Barça B

You know, it could be that, or the opposite. This guy Merveil we signed from Mallorca, where he was on loan from Getafe, got 5 games all season but three in the last four weeks: so you could argue they were showing him off to get loan or transfer interest.

For Ballou, if he was in line to be loaned out and clubs knew him already, since many saw him last year in 2nd division, maybe they wanted to avoid an injury that could have killed the loan option. So it can go both ways. 

He actually played last season vs. Albacete, 2nd last of the season in May, I realise now they were promoted into 2nd division two seasons back. 

Is that promotion battle as tight as it looks or are their forgone conclusions lurking in there an outsider won't see....

Just now, admin said:

Is that promotion battle as tight as it looks or are their forgone conclusions lurking in there an outsider won't see....

Spanish 2nd division is very tight and has been for years: I recall two seasons ago teams in relegation zone were not out of a potential promotion playoff spot with 5 games to go. 

This year the division is stocked with teams with recent top flight history and strong finances, fan bases, academies, stadiums. Of 22 teams, only 4-5 have never been in top flight since I've been in Spain.

Top two go straight up, the remaining four play home and away knockouts to decide the third. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Spanish 2nd division is very tight and has been for years: I recall two seasons ago teams in relegation zone were not out of a potential promotion playoff spot with 5 games to go. 

This year the division is stocked with teams with recent top flight history and strong finances, fan bases, academies, stadiums. Of 22 teams, only 4-5 have never been in top flight since I've been in Spain.

Top two go straight up, the remaining four play home and away knockouts to decide the third. 

I am now more interested in following this than well... anything else happening right now. 

Can these games be found via streaming anywhere?

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

Albacete in Segunda.

It just so happens that I'm in an intellectual property class. It seems that the usage of this "Impact" image is clearly a violation. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow that was quick, there was  nothing in the press until now. I literally was checking the Barça b twitter account an hour ago. Going to a 2nd division side that has been in top flight and is fighting to get back is a great move. I'm fine with it. 

The article says the sporting director of Alba values the fact he has 2nd division experience, has played MLS, and has played with Canada. Remember that Whitecaps just signed Erice out of Albacete, so that is the equivalence. As many will recall, it's the club Benito Floro is most closely associated with in Spain, since he took it to first division for the 1st time in its history. If he had not done that, Iniesta would never have been discovered, playing a tournament vs. other Liga teams when he was like 12.

Article also says that he had multiple options and that the club was pleased he had chosen them. 

Albacete is a medium-sized provincial capital, the stadium holds 17,000. They are one point back of a direct promotion to top flight spot with about 20 games left. The team is fairly journeyman and modest, in fact it promoted just a few years ago. Erice was their leading playmaker (the replacement they signed is Muntari, former Inter and AC Milan), they have a nutty Ukrainian striker, Zozulia, who got in hot water a season or two back for apparently fascist leanings. It is not really clear to me they need Ballou, but maybe want an option to open up defenses as their strikers are more physical than tricky. They are actually scoring at a decent rate.

The coach says he likes him because he's quick and takes defenders on.

This is the closest Floro will ever get to developing a Canadian forward.

2 hours ago, admin said:

I am now more interested in following this than well... anything else happening right now. 

Can these games be found via streaming anywhere?

For streaming these days i usually type in "reddit soccer streams" in google and go from there..

Edited by jpg75

Is this a loan or a transfer?

Edit : Never mind.  Answered in another thread.

Edited by Ivan
update