Ballou Tabla

shermanator

17 hours ago, canta15 said:

Unrelated but i’m just going to say the unpopular opinion that England lucked out in the World Cup to get to the Semis. 

They didn’t beat one world class team. Panama and Tunisia in the group stage (not including that meaningless Belgium tie). A Jamesless Colombia in the ro16 and a Swedish team that was overperforming and bound to lose at some point. I’ll give credit to them for beating a team that knocked out Italy and gave Germany a run, but England  did what was expected of them and it would have been an upset if they lost.

The english media is once again overhyping their players for making it to the semis in one of the easiest runs in recent history, all because one of their teams made it to that stage for the first time since 1990

It was the World Cup! I get some teams aren't as good as others - but that's the World Cup. Every team has earned their right to be there. The job is to beat the teams in front of you, and win, win, win till you get the cup. In the 2014 WC, England didn't leave their group, which was considered an extreme failure. Now they made it to the semis and they are over hyped, didnt play any real teams? Germany was a "real" team and didn't leave their group, so where's the relative perspective. 

My point was they made massive progress, and have a solid foundation/core to build upon. They're just missing a number 10 right now. 

(That sigh was for you @Macksam... And don't @ me. ?

3 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Wow, did not expect to see this news this week.  There has definitely been a run of good news stories in the last few years that should go a long way to healing some old wounds.

On the other hand there are still games to be won.  Even with a talented roster, going into Panama or Honduras and getting results is not an easy task.  You don't just put the right names on paper with Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Gent, Rangers, Liverpool, and Besiktas beside their names and get guaranteed a win.

Herdman has proved he is a solid recruiter and motivator.  Over the next couple years we will see if he is also a good coach.  More than ever before we have attacking talent, as well as the depth and flexibility to play a variety of lineups and combinations.  Tabla adds yet another dimension to that.  There are some difficult and intriguing choices to make.

Davies going to Bayern, David emerging, Tabla  committing - all of this is awesome but this is till the easy part.  

We should qualify for 2022.  With this talent, we really should.  This more than ever puts the pressure squarely on Herdman to do so. 

I'm not it's as easy as saying we should qualify for 2022. 

Our defence would still be the weakest in the hex and we've shown nothing to prove we can get results away in qualifying. 

Ill go with "we have more reason to be optimistic this qualifying cycle"

He did not play today apart from the last couple minutes, time wasting to hold onto a 2-1 win. I did not go, I am not feeling sharp, on the edge of flu symptoms. So lucky I did not. 

I don't think him losing two weekends for international games is a factor in getting fewer minutes today, it regularly happens with others on the B team with Spain u-19 or u-20 fixtures. 

On 9/28/2018 at 2:35 PM, canta15 said:

Unrelated but i’m just going to say the unpopular opinion that England lucked out in the World Cup to get to the Semis. 

They didn’t beat one world class team. Panama and Tunisia in the group stage (not including that meaningless Belgium tie). A Jamesless Colombia in the ro16 and a Swedish team that was overperforming and bound to lose at some point. I’ll give credit to them for beating a team that knocked out Italy and gave Germany a run, but England  did what was expected of them and it would have been an upset if they lost.

The english media is once again overhyping their players for making it to the semis in one of the easiest runs in recent history, all because one of their teams made it to that stage for the first time since 1990

They were really overhyped, when Colombia attacked them they dominated the game late in the second half but for some reason played 3 holding kids and gave England too much respect and England still only got through on pens.  That England team was very limited progressing the ball or creating chances in open play, they relied heavily on set pieces, not a crime but really hard to say they are now in the clear, Southgate did some things very good and people weren't sure how to play against it but that element of surprise is gone and if they keep trying to play that midfield without people who can control the ball and create from deeper they will struggle.  All of that said Maguire and Stones are both very good CB's and are very young, they were basically their playmakers and Joe Gomez looks fantastic this season, so I do think they are fairly stacked with young CB's right now.  

Just now, villus said:

They were really overhyped, when Colombia attacked them they dominated the game late in the second half but for some reason played 3 holding kids and gave England too much respect and England still only got through on pens.  That England team was very limited progressing the ball or creating chances in open play, they relied heavily on set pieces, not a crime but really hard to say they are now in the clear, Southgate did some things very good and people weren't sure how to play against it but that element of surprise is gone and if they keep trying to play that midfield without people who can control the ball and create from deeper they will struggle.  All of that said Maguire and Stones are both very good CB's and are very young, they were basically their playmakers and Joe Gomez looks fantastic this season, so I do think they are fairly stacked with young CB's right now.  

I am normally anti-England when it comes to national team play, but this was one of the teams I have most liked, mostly because they were young, hungry, there were no prima donnas out there, and they played to their limits. So all credit to them. I also think that Southgate did well. Saying they had easy groups or games, well that is not really fair, plenty of on-paper stronger teams were stymied by lesser opposition, or equivalent, and then teams like Holland or Italy were stopped well before by even lesser rivals. You still have to perform. 

That said, I can't say I really like any of the players on the team, but who cares about that. I don't need them for footie fantasy, but give them credit by all means. 

On 9/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, Soccerpro said:

Our defence would still be the weakest in the hex and we've shown nothing to prove we can get results away in qualifying. 

One of the weakest but weakest? Obviously weaker than the big three but after that I’m not so sure.. remember we have Borjan who arguably gives us the 4th best keeping in the region (and that could arguably be higher.. the only keeper head and shoulders above Borjan is Navas).  Our defenders are MLS level and Panama, Honduras and Trinidad can’t claim much more than that. 

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am normally anti-England when it comes to national team play, but this was one of the teams I have most liked, mostly because they were young, hungry, there were no prima donnas out there, and they played to their limits. So all credit to them. I also think that Southgate did well. Saying they had easy groups or games, well that is not really fair, plenty of on-paper stronger teams were stymied by lesser opposition, or equivalent, and then teams like Holland or Italy were stopped well before by even lesser rivals. You still have to perform. 

That said, I can't say I really like any of the players on the team, but who cares about that. I don't need them for footie fantasy, but give them credit by all means. 

Yeah I do think they have a good young core and they did have players who played well overall, and they were much better then they've been, I just have a problem with people who were over the moon when in reality they beat teams that they should beat and when they came up against teams with a midfield they were played off the park.  I think my issue is that their results are going to be difficult to replicate vs good teams going forward if they continue to play a midfield with Henderson/Alli/Liingard, need more possession in midfield and players who can pick a pass and create chances from open play if they want to compete consistently.

I promise you most people in England underrate their squad. They love to knock their team at any slip. 

That England team did well and you would have to be ignorant to not think long term prospects are bright.  If any other country won both youth world cups in one year and made the World Cup semi the next the world would be going “omg next team to watch!” but it’s england so people have to brush it off as nothing. 

They aren’t a team of stars like in 2006 and that suits them.  I think if expectations grow they could struggle but they were fun to watch. I don’t even support them but let’s call it fair. 

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

One of the weakest but weakest? Obviously weaker than the big three but after that I’m not so sure.. remember we have Borjan who arguably gives us the 4th best keeping in the region (and that could arguably be higher.. the only keeper head and shoulders above Borjan is Navas).  Our defenders are MLS level and Panama, Honduras and Trinidad can’t claim much more than that. 

I think Ochoa is better than Borjan

9 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I think Ochoa is better than Borjan

I gave him the nod as I said we would be 4th but my point was that there are no world class keepers in this region aside from Navas and someone could argue Borjan is just as good as Ochoa based on club play. 

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

Would you like to have Roman Torres from Panama?

Emilio Izaguirre from Honduras?

Who do we have on defence that inspires confidence?

1 minute ago, Soccerpro said:

Would you like to have Roman Torres from Panama?

Emilio Izaguirre from Honduras?

Who do we have on defence that inspires confidence?

For sure those guys are good defenders by CONCACAF standards but they’re not miles ahead of guys we have.  

I don’t know about you but I was pretty confident in our defence in the gold cup.  I would like to see a pairing like Hutchinson and Henry.  While we don’t have stars we do have enough guys to work out a serviceable backline by concacaf standards and even hex standard.. I’m just saying we wouldn’t have the worst backline. 

On 9/29/2018 at 12:53 PM, Soccerpro said:

All true.  But one more thing to consider is that: given a choice between going into WCQ with questionable defensive talent or going into WCQ questionable offensive talent,  I’ ll take the option of questionable defence.  In Concacaf, the top sides are not deep in talent if you compare concacaf to europe or south america.  

What the concacaf sides that qualify for the WC always have is one or two elite level talents that stands out  by their marquee pedigree and that usually makes the differnce in qualifying with key plays or goal at key moments.   I am thinking of someone like Dwight Yorke (Trinidad and Tobago), David Suazo (Honduras), Brian Ruiz and few others.   They, like ballou and Davies, played & featured for big clubs overseas and it showed why given some of them sunk canada on their own with key goals in key games.   Sure, when you at the world cup finals the glaring holes or lack of depth expose you.  But in Concacaf WCQ, a couple of key offensive plays or moments of genius in a couple of key games can be all that it takes. 

If asked to summary in three words Canada’s world cup qualifying history, it would be:  “Lack of goals”.

Edited by Free kick

5 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Tabla on life back in barcelona, adapting to the culture and language as well as the environment of training with world class players 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/ballou-talks-transition-barcelona-james-sharman/

That interview almost makes me feel bad for any criticism I had towards him when he started refusing call ups after being in our youth teams, the future could be bright for us!

I think the interview is not too strong on Sharman's part, mostly because he does not do his homework.  Ballou has trained in Barcelona, with the first team, not more than 5-6 times don't think. He was then on the US tour with them but Messi was not there. So no, he is not training weekly with the first team. 

The B team core of u-19s won the Youth League last year, making it the best bunch of that age in Europe. So for Ballou, it is not just training with Messi, it has to be everyone. I mean, I can say this honestly: he has never seen the ball quality of a guy like Aleñà, who noone even knows, except maybe beside Piatti. 

What he says about not every missing a pass--well that is more Barcelona than other places. And it is also our problem at the club, sometimes you have to take risks to win games, and we are too often afraid to lose a ball to break down a defense on a riskier play. All told, however, what really interested me was the personal support he is getting since at that age it can be tough in a new country.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

@Unnamed Trialist is Tabla one of the 3 overage u19s for the youth league this year?  Who did they use last year for overrage players.. was Alena one?  

He is not part of the Youth League group this year. Last year I think he only played a game, in semis, and maybe called up for another, don't recall. Aleñà I don't think was there last year, he played in the 15-16 season. For me he is amazing, called to be a great international mid...he's a '98 born in January.

I think it is better, they let the u-19s, the Juvenil A, be that core. Some of those guys could play with the B, but they are technically on the U-19, which btw is not doing so well so far (ie, they are not leading their division!!). So the B players are dedicated to doing as well as they can to be ready for first team (next week they are calling up CBs as Umtiti and Vermaelen are injured), and the kids a step younger get their first international club experience in Youth League. For me, the set up is good enough. I am pretty sure Ballou will get called into a Cup game in November.

• 2 weeks later...

He trained today with the first team, along with 5 others from the B team. 

Not to say I thought it could happen, but I did: after Messi went down injured, and Dembelé had a very sloppy game subbing him vs. Sevilla (his highlights look good but he made very poor decisions with the ball), I thought Valverde might want to look at other left-footed attacking options. But we should be cautious about his options.

He can't play Champions, and our next league game is vs. Real Madrid. Maybe they wanted to rest starters a bit and needed filler from the B.

I think that is him on the left with Lenglet and Rakitic in a "rondo".

101404361.jpg?t=1540211014000

Here he is with the other B players, including mid Riki Puig the young baby-faced guy on the left, bearded Abel Ruiz in the middle, a target striker, and Miranda, to his right, who is an outside back who regularly trains with the 1st team.

101404301.jpg?t=1540210989000

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Thanks, I did not have a chance to even follow the result as I was out of town.

Ballou scored off a pass into the centre from Carlos Perez, where he was all alone on a counter, made it 0-2 first half; the rival got one back later. In the highlight clip via this link you can see he had another chance just before scoring.

These last few weeks with a few B players making the first team squad, like Aleñá vs. Villareal, and then Riki, Miranda, Oriol Busquets in the cup match midweek (Riki Puig was a real standout and got a lot of press), there is a stronger incentive for the B players to work hard to see if they can grab 1st team minutes. And with the injures on the first team, even more. As I see it, it will be a matter of chance a bit, but still: Dembele is playing very well, but has chronic discipline problems; Malcolm was injured and is out a few weeks--so Ballou has a chance to make a call-up as an extra attacker. He just has to keep pushing, as he is a starter with the B side which automatically puts him in contention.

https://www.fcbarcelona.es/es/futbol/barca-b/noticias/939468/badalona--barca-b-victoria-en-campo-contrario-1-2?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=fcbarcelonab&utm_campaign=05d2e995-2ca6-40f1-88c1-aa3699677ad1

Edited by Unnamed Trialist