Ballou Tabla

shermanator

7 minutes ago, villus said:

You're forgetting about Malcolm who is right behind Dembele in terms of Barca's pure wingers, knowing Valverde and how he rarely rotates or uses players from the B team I'd be surprised if he got many games with the A squad barring a few injuries.  

True, but he's injured and we haven't seen him yet really. So he's an unknown. But you are right, he is a right-side attacker with dribble and speed. He'd technically be ahead of Ballou if that was the spot to fill. 

So far this year a few B players regularly train with the 1st team, Riqui Puig and Miranda especially. And the odd keeper. Ballou has not since the season started.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

True, but he's injured and we haven't seen him yet really. So he's an unknown. But you are right, he is a right-side attacker with dribble and speed. He'd technically be ahead of Ballou if that was the spot to fill. 

So far this year a few B players regularly train with the 1st team, Riqui Puig and Miranda especially. And the odd keeper. Ballou has not since the season started.

He came off the bench today, and he's very much a wide player and a good one watched a lot of him last two seasons and Bordeaux and he has everything you'd want in a wide attacker.  Think Barca right now is very tense anyways and the guys coming up and playing with the first team from Barca B are under a microscope with the La Masia vs outside transfer debate raging on, so not the worst thing to take his time and play with less pressure and develop out of the fire for a while.  

Found this article from an African soccer site: http://www.kickoff.com/news/89516/barcelonas-ballou-tabla-rejects-ivory-co

The article itself isn't very interesting, it's just fact based with quotations, but the comments were interesting to me:

1. "Do whats good for your future beyond football young man. I fully support you on your decision. After your playing days in Africa you are on your own, African countries like to jump at already complete players. These adopted countries invest a lot of money developing these players."

2. "CAF should try and make our football look attractive and rebrand it.we missing out on.talent and we cant blame the lads"

3. "I used to criticise players who chose their adopted countries.

However I've changed my mind based on how our football bosses run football in Africa and our leadership in general.

good for you boy, you dont owe them anything."

4. "There are players now, players like Aaron Mokoena, etc, they would called up for national team camp or games, asked by SAFA to make their own travel arrangements, booking flights with their own money, visa applications and told they would be re-imbursed as soon as they arrive at the camp, talk to this day they are still owed those monies!"

All from different accounts, no negative comments from what I can tell. International football politics are very interesting in the modern landscape.

Semi-related note: is there any fanbase that is actually happy with their FA?

On 9/25/2018 at 11:17 AM, Ottawafan74 said:

Ivory Coast and Tabla have known all along that the only option for him to play nationally was with Canada. Glad we finally got him to commit to the program. 

I'm very glad he committed, but we were not his only option. My comment was based on others stating that IC were too good to call up Tabla and i still don't think that's the case. Their options in the 3 AM positions are not strong enough or deep to keep IC from legitimately considering Tabla at some point as long as he develops a reasonable amount. So for me this is fantastic news.

Now that Tabla is committed, I am thinking about where he'd fit in for our next match.

There is some good discussion going on in the pre-game thread, mostly deploying him in a CAM role.

Personally, I lend credence to the idea that him, Davies and Junior can all interchange in attack to great effect, so I am less concerned whether it is Tabla as the CAM, Junior as the CAM, or even (tho least likely) Davies as the CAM.

It is very exciting to have 3 attackers who can all play outside or inside. I would love to see all 3 play freely in attack, interchanging and causing our opponents problems. 

What Herdman does remains to be seen. I can see him continuing with Davies and Millar as the wingbacks, moreso now that we added Tabla. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Now that Tabla is committed, I am thinking about where he'd fit in for our next match.

There is some good discussion going on in the pre-game thread, mostly deploying him in a CAM role.

Personally, I lend credence to the idea that him, Davies and Junior can all interchange in attack to great effect, so I am less concerned whether it is Tabla as the CAM, Junior as the CAM, or even (tho least likely) Davies as the CAM.

It is very exciting to have 3 attackers who can all play outside or inside. I would love to see all 3 play freely in attack, interchanging and causing our opponents problems. 

What Herdman does remains to be seen. I can see him continuing with Davies and Millar as the wingbacks, moreso now that we added Tabla. 

Neither Davies nor Tabla are playmakers. They are flash attackers. 

Davies has the speed and needs space. Tabla is better in tighter spaces. For me, I have only seen small details that indicate clear improvement for Ballou at Barça, odd but there you go. Perhaps the stress of competition. He needs more time. I disagree that he has a really improved defensive game. Davies, in spite of being played back at times, is not a defender either. Though he may have more experience doing it. We are going to have to be patient with him as well, as he'll only be adjusting properly into the Bayern system maybe this time next year. You cannot remake yourself into an elite player on an elite team overnight. And less so if you are coming from MLS, which is sloppy on the details of the game.

Tabla is better on the right, turning in. But has been played on the left this year. And is learning to do more with his right foot. Davies is also getting minutes on both sides, used to be more on the left, but has more effectivity on the right. For me, neither is ready to be in the middle against a stronger opposition. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I'm very glad he committed, but we were not his only option. My comment was based on others stating that IC were too good to call up Tabla and i still don't think that's the case. Their options in the 3 AM positions are not strong enough or deep to keep IC from legitimately considering Tabla at some point as long as he develops a reasonable amount. So for me this is fantastic news.

Canada could block his call up to IC. Since he was developed here and played on Canadian national youth teams, the CAS could intervene and stop him from getting capped for them. It’s a little used rule from FIFA but Canada was prepared to use this nuclear option. Good for them. 

5 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

Canada could block his call up to IC. Since he was developed here and played on Canadian national youth teams, the CAS could intervene and stop him from getting capped for them. It’s a little used rule from FIFA but Canada was prepared to use this nuclear option. Good for them. 

Where is this rule? Are you confused with the rule that France was going to use against Ribery years back? 

2 hours ago, Ottawafan74 said:

You are misinformed. If Tabla filed a one-time switch to play for IC there was nothing the CSA could have done.

On 9/25/2018 at 8:02 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

Ferreira true. 

I don't think Tomori has much of a chance with England, unless he goes to the premier league next season and starts. He has wayyyy to many young CBs to pass who are currently getting premier league minutes. In 2022, when he's 24 he'll be battling against Joe Gomez who will be 25, John Stones 28, Harry Maguire 29, Michael Keane 28,... And those are the guys who have caps. 

Likewise with Stephen, he'll need a move somewhere with guys like Renato Sanchez, Ruben Neves, Andre Gomes etc. 

I think we'll see Stephen first though. 

As for Akinola, he'll have to make a decision that's best for him. Right now Canada ain't a guarantee as it was 3 months ago. 

Let's not forget Cristante. All it takes is a official game with lesser importance and a couple injuries..

5 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Let's not forget Cristante. All it takes is a official game with lesser importance and a couple injuries..

I agree... And Nations League will definitely cap tie players who will potentially have 2 int caps in their entire career.

But to compare Crisante is wholeee different comparison tbh. Italy is going through a long discovery rebuild, whereas England's core is pretty much solidified for the next few cycles based on their WC performance. 

Like I said, there's a lot of defenders who haven't got a call up, and are playing premier league ball like Jamal Lascelles...who I think will get those fill in calls, before a guy like Tomori. IMo

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

You are misinformed. If Tabla filed a one-time switch to play for IC there was nothing the CSA could have done.

I didn’t know that this was the case until someone with direct knowledge informed me. Look at it this way; why would Tabla make the decision now?  His abilities will not diminish to the point Canada wouldn’t want him. So why not wait until your development proceeds a year to see if IC is still an option? If you knew the only option for you for international play was Canada, what’s the point of waiting? 

Edited by Ottawafan74

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I didn’t know that this was the case until someone with direct knowledge informed me. Look at it this way; why would Tabla make the decision now?  His abilities will not diminish to the point Canada wouldn’t want him. So why not wait until your development proceeds a year to see if IC is still an option?

I have no idea why Tabla made his decision now instead of waiting, you would have to ask him why he did. Regardless, if he chose to file his switch to play for IC he would have been gone and there is no rule preventing him from choosing to do so. Maybe the person you spoke to is confusing some of the rules?

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/the-fifa-statutes-2018.pdf?cloudid=whhncbdzio03cuhmwfxa

Page 70-73. Section 8 paragraph 1.

I appreciate you pointing out the FIFA rules. I did read them and I’ll paraphrase 

1. May request to change.

2. Shall submit a request and the committee shall decide on the request. 

Where does it say there is no rule preventing him?  Sounds like it isn’t a done deal if you want to switch and that is reviewed on a case by case.  

49 minutes ago, Ottawafan74 said:

I appreciate you pointing out the FIFA rules. I did read them and I’ll paraphrase 

1. May request to change.

2. Shall submit a request and the committee shall decide on the request. 

Where does it say there is no rule preventing him?  Sounds like it isn’t a done deal if you want to switch and that is reviewed on a case by case.  

There are rules in place which must be considered before the switch is confirmed. If for example someone was capped at the Senior level for another country, or did not have the nationality they are switching to prior to playing for another country the committee would reject the request. 

Tabla meets the requirements to switch, he was born in IC and only played for Canada at the youth level.

Edited by jpg75

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

I agree... And Nations League will definitely cap tie players who will potentially have 2 int caps in their entire career.

But to compare Crisante is wholeee different comparison tbh. Italy is going through a long discovery rebuild, whereas England's core is pretty much solidified for the next few cycles based on their WC performance. 

Like I said, there's a lot of defenders who haven't got a call up, and are playing premier league ball like Jamal Lascelles...who I think will get those fill in calls, before a guy like Tomori. IMo

Unrelated but i’m just going to say the unpopular opinion that England lucked out in the World Cup to get to the Semis. 

They didn’t beat one world class team. Panama and Tunisia in the group stage (not including that meaningless Belgium tie). A Jamesless Colombia in the ro16 and a Swedish team that was overperforming and bound to lose at some point. I’ll give credit to them for beating a team that knocked out Italy and gave Germany a run, but England  did what was expected of them and it would have been an upset if they lost.

The english media is once again overhyping their players for making it to the semis in one of the easiest runs in recent history, all because one of their teams made it to that stage for the first time since 1990

59 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Unrelated but i’m just going to say the unpopular opinion that England lucked out in the World Cup to get to the Semis. 

They didn’t beat one world class team. Panama and Tunisia in the group stage (not including that meaningless Belgium tie). A Jamesless Colombia in the ro16 and a Swedish team that was overperforming and bound to lose at some point. I’ll give credit to them for beating a team that knocked out Italy and gave Germany a run, but England  did what was expected of them and it would have been an upset if they lost.

The english media is once again overhyping their players for making it to the semis in one of the easiest runs in recent history, all because one of their teams made it to that stage for the first time since 1990

I'll at least give them that they did well on free kicks and corners.

For the rest, couldn't agree more. They don't survive a group of death in my opinion

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

This.

England, while they are set, they are set for further failure. Now, Jahinho, don’t sigh brah.

Edited by Macksam

Wow, did not expect to see this news this week.  There has definitely been a run of good news stories in the last few years that should go a long way to healing some old wounds.

On the other hand there are still games to be won.  Even with a talented roster, going into Panama or Honduras and getting results is not an easy task.  You don't just put the right names on paper with Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Gent, Rangers, Liverpool, and Besiktas beside their names and get guaranteed a win.

Herdman has proved he is a solid recruiter and motivator.  Over the next couple years we will see if he is also a good coach.  More than ever before we have attacking talent, as well as the depth and flexibility to play a variety of lineups and combinations.  Tabla adds yet another dimension to that.  There are some difficult and intriguing choices to make.

Davies going to Bayern, David emerging, Tabla  committing - all of this is awesome but this is till the easy part.  

We should qualify for 2022.  With this talent, we really should.  This more than ever puts the pressure squarely on Herdman to do so.