Ballou Tabla

shermanator

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I was reading the FC Barca reddit and none of them seemed impressed with the subs. Realistically you have you think he's going to head somewhere else this year or next on loan.

AS Monaco would be a nice match.

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I was reading the FC Barca reddit and none of them seemed impressed with the subs. Realistically you have you think he's going to head somewhere else this year or next on loan.

He held onto the ball for too long and coughed it up on a couple occasions. His teammates seemed to lose faith in him and he didn't see much of the ball afterwards. It didn't look like he was fitting into the Barca system

2 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

There is no evidence for this DN, but what you say could make sense in theory. He is part of the core of 20 players on the B team, he was taken to the US tour against all expectations (I saw the provisional lists and he wasn't on them), he is one of only 6-7 of the academy players who has gotten minutes both friendlies so far, some of those kids have not been on yet. So Valverde likes him, and I'll bet they''ll keep him close this season, at his age and all. 

The other thing is if someone in Spain 2nd div or even first asks for him to be loaned out to them, and they might consider it. Since he is not on a high salary don't think (though for 3rd tier it probably is), that is not a necessity really either.

2 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

He held onto the ball for too long and coughed it up on a couple occasions. His teammates seemed to lose faith in him and he didn't see much of the ball afterwards. It didn't look like he was fitting into the Barca system

This is quite observant I'd say, I saw this last season a bit too. Plays a bit with his head down. That forces  the coach to play him int attacking positions, and reduces his possible role in the midfield, where you are asked to combine more and keep possession with your head up and not be so vertical always. Especially at Barcelona. 

Hoping this preseason and season with the B helps that a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

They played and beat 3-0 an Indian Super League team today, Bengarulu, and Ballou is highly rated in reports. MundoDeportivo says today his confidence after the US tour with the 1st team is good. He played right side, had a good effort saved. Is crossing with his right (not seen that before!!), almost assisted first half, did to assist a goal second half. And supposedly the keeper stopped his efforts late as well. 

He played all 90.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futbol/fc-barcelona/cantera/20180814/451327133148/3-0-estreno-y-goles-del-barca-b-en-el-miniestadi.html

That was their first home friendly this summer.

Played 90 in Barça B's last friendly of the preseason, a 3-1 win over also 2B Cornellà, he does not figure in any of the brief game reports. 

Just a comment about this team beating an Indian Super League team handily the other day. Sure, was a friendly, but that does give us an idea of the level of the SuperLeague. Hume tears it up there, when he was in Spanish 2nd he did not score, and in 2B, this very level, he was a solid player, nothing more. 

Just gives us an idea of the relative level of both leagues, I'm surprised but it seems India has a bit of a way to go still.

• 2 weeks later...

From Steven Sandor's article on the roster for the US Virgin Islands game. Includes this update on Tabla.

https://the11.ca/herdman-sees-canada-playing-in-the-world-cup-in-four-years-time/

“It’s an ongoing conversation. Every time a selection comes there’s a conversation that happens. The communication with Ballou has been consistent, now, since March. There’s a two-way conversation happening… I think people who are born in Canada understand the importance of this country, but they obviously don’t understand at times the tough situations young players are put in when they’ve got dual nationality. It’s a tough decision. It’s a tough process. You’ve really got to empathize. And the timing of those decisions are cruclal for players. And, often, they’re torn. Torn between ‘is it this or is it that?’ Because they’re in love with both opportunities. And that’s what I’m learning about this situation. That this isn’t a quick fix. This isn’t jumping on an airplane and a six-course meal and a limo ride and some swag from Canada Soccer and all the things other coaches might have tried before. This is genuinely working with the player to make the right decision. That might be Ivory Coast. And I think that’s part our commitment as coaches, we have to look at what’s best for the players and give them the time to work through things. It’s got to be the right decision for them. They have to feel it’s time to come play for Canada. And, at the same time, you’re not begging players. I’m being that clear: There’s other players I’m speaking with who have the opportunity to play for Canada. But we’re not begging people. It’s that clear. If you don’t feel it in your heart to come pull that shirt on, don’t bother. I don’t want you here for commercial reasons. I don’t want you here for other reasons, because someone told you it was the right thing to do. You’ve got to feel this thing.”

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

It’s that clear. If you don’t feel it in your heart to come pull that shirt on, don’t bother. I don’t want you here for commercial reasons. I don’t want you here for other reasons, because someone told you it was the right thing to do. You’ve got to feel this thing.”

YUP 100%,

best of luck with him and his ultimate decision.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

I think the11.ca has had issues with that on mobile links for a few months now.

I've had issues with it on desktop and mobile. I thought at first it was because I clicked to the wrong place, but what I often do, is go on the website and find the article. It works fine. 

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Yup. Steven's a journo legend but he's got to sort this out, especially in a social media age.

The issue isn't with the site per se, it's with the linking. If you simply go to the site, you won't have issues (and why we don't find any our end). 

It's a complex issue, we've looked at it. Because the issue actually happens BEFORE people get to the site. It's the link being intercepted and people being re-directed. It happens to a minority of people. It's a problem, but a real head-scratcher. 

I may actually stop sending links and simply post updates that will instruct people to go to the site manually. 

I'll put it frankly, The11.ca loses a lot of money. It was a labour of love that I subsidized with the broadcast money I would make from doing NASL games. Obviously, those don't happen anymore. Launched Plastic Pitch, that broke even in year one and two, but then it became too expensive to run (I was out of pocket nearly 10K on it in year three, so some hard decisions had to be made). I understand that the app world collapsed (as one industry insider once put it at a conference I was at, "apps are the eight-track tapes of our generation") so I'd eat that.

I guess, I just want you all to understand that "fixing" an issue can be very, very expensive. Like, four or five digits.

I leave the lights on simply because I'm hopeful that the CanPL will launch and that will create some new revenue lines so that the site can break even. But when I take on writing projects that pay the bills (writing about things that aren't soccer) to ones that are a massive financial wasteland (writing about soccer), I'd just like readers to understand that the site is more a labour of love than anything else at this point. "Fixing" issues is expensive.

16 minutes ago, stevensandor said:

The issue isn't with the site per se, it's with the linking. If you simply go to the site, you won't have issues (and why we don't find any our end). 

It's a complex issue, we've looked at it. Because the issue actually happens BEFORE people get to the site. It's the link being intercepted and people being re-directed. It happens to a minority of people. It's a problem, but a real head-scratcher. 

I may actually stop sending links and simply post updates that will instruct people to go to the site manually. 

I'll put it frankly, The11.ca loses a lot of money. It was a labour of love that I subsidized with the broadcast money I would make from doing NASL games. Obviously, those don't happen anymore. Launched Plastic Pitch, that broke even in year one and two, but then it became too expensive to run (I was out of pocket nearly 10K on it in year three, so some hard decisions had to be made). I understand that the app world collapsed (as one industry insider once put it at a conference I was at, "apps are the eight-track tapes of our generation") so I'd eat that.

I guess, I just want you all to understand that "fixing" an issue can be very, very expensive. Like, four or five digits.

I leave the lights on simply because I'm hopeful that the CanPL will launch and that will create some new revenue lines so that the site can break even. But when I take on writing projects that pay the bills (writing about things that aren't soccer) to ones that are a massive financial wasteland (writing about soccer), I'd just like readers to understand that the site is more a labour of love than anything else at this point. "Fixing" issues is expensive.

For me, your site is the number one credible source I go to for soccer news. That piece where you interviewed Canadian pros about the CPL was exactly what journalism should be. Thank you for your hard work.

• 2 weeks later...

Really apparent that it was men against boys in this match. Sabadell were very physical and the first 45 minutes were quite poor by both teams without many attempts at goal.

In the first half, Ballou didn’t see much of the ball playing wide right but the few touches he had were impressive; quick movement and attempting to create.

In the second half, the game opened up a little. Ballou saw a bit more of the ball, but unfortunately a little wasteful when in the final third, albeit a little unlucky (slipped once, had a questionable handball called and ran out of space a couple times). Likely not his finest performance (to be fair, it was sloppy game all around) but his movement and raw talent were very apparent.

His coach, Pimienta, was very animated on the sidelines with lots of shouting and barking orders (understandable coaching a bunch of 18-20 year olds in a very competitive men’s lesgue). Not sure if it’s because Ballou is still somewhat new to the system or is known for being a little lazy while tracking back (maybe some MTL fans can chime in as I’m not super familiar with his game) but Pimienta was constantly yelling, “Balllllou!!! Balllllooou!!” to get back. At one crucial moment in the 2nd half, Ballou hadn’t followed his man after a 1-2 and Sabadell had one of their better chances of the game. 

Barcelona did go 1-0 and still had 2 subs I believe and Ballou stayed on the pitch for the full 90 so that did show some confidence from the manager.

A8F4CDCD-5FCC-4B77-BE74-3B1E20EAEBB2.jpeg

46F0CADF-15FB-4B73-A276-9A5C9258506C.jpeg

Edited by cronaldo7
Minimized the font

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great work on that cronaldo7, good pics and story. 

I have been in that stadium, the Nova Creu Alta, when Sabadell were in 2nd division, it is a quite old but could perfectly well work for a 2nd tier team. Did not feel like making the out of town hike today. What did you think of Aleñà, I think he is going to be a major player.

Cheers.

Admittedly didn’t recognize the name/which player this exactly was until I  googled the name. He came on in the middle of the 2nd half and I figured he was just a regular bench player (reality is, he’s a stud coming back from a 3 month injury which I’m sure you knew). From what I observed, he did seem strong on the ball and to distributed well/effortlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

As I never posted this: Ballou was not added to FCB's first team roster for Champions League. 

I think there is a rule whereby you can add on players to the roster from your academy, but they only qualify if they'd played a certain minimum in the academy, not newer signings. In any case, when the window opens in January, we'll see if they do tack him on.

A few other Barça B players have been training with the first team over the international break, and this week, but he has not.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I never posted this: Ballou was not added to FCB's first team roster for Champions League. 

I think there is a rule whereby you can add on players to the roster from your academy, but they only qualify if they'd played a certain minimum in the academy, not newer signings. In any case, when the window opens in January, we'll see if they do tack him on.

A few other Barça B players have been training with the first team over the international break, and this week, but he has not.

Sad to say, but great news!