Ballou Tabla

shermanator

35 minutes ago, Moldy9 said:

In the case of Cavallini is he really being honest with himself seriously? Would he had made the Uruguayan side - doubt it. We asked him to come back, him wanting to sulk if that's the case is his problem. The least we can do with Tabla is ask, if he refuses that's his right. I love Borjan and God bless him but we should've capped Begovic who is backup for Chelsea. 

He wouldn't have made the Uruguayan side as he was not eligible nor could he have ever become eligible for them. 

As for Tabla, I think it will be very telling if he is taken to the U20WC or not. The team has lots of attacking talent so Tabla has lots of competition. 

11 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

In the case of Cavallini is he really being honest with himself seriously? Would he had made the Uruguayan side - doubt it. We asked him to come back, him wanting to sulk if that's the case is his problem. The least we can do with Tabla is ask, if he refuses that's his right. I love Borjan and God bless him but we should've capped Begovic who is backup for Chelsea. 

Yet again, remember Begovic was cap tied to us. It was only when FIFA changed the rules that he was "uncap-tied". Mitchell gets a lot of stick, and rightly so. But it is unfair to criticism him for not playing Begovic in the final qualifier (when we were eliminated (Onstad played)) when he was barely getting match time at Yeovil Town - Mitchell couldn't have predicted the FIFA rule change.

We could look at the bright side - we got Dunfield out of the rule change <_< 

11 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Yet again, remember Begovic was cap tied to us. It was only when FIFA changed the rules that he was "uncap-tied". Mitchell gets a lot of stick, and rightly so. But it is unfair to criticism him for not playing Begovic in the final qualifier (when we were eliminated (Onstad played)) when he was barely getting match time at Yeovil Town - Mitchell couldn't have predicted the FIFA rule change.

We could look at the bright side - we got Dunfield out of the rule change <_< 

It was Hirschfeld who played, actually.

23 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

He wouldn't have made the Uruguayan side as he was not eligible nor could he have ever become eligible for them. 

As for Tabla, I think it will be very telling if he is taken to the U20WC or not. The team has lots of attacking talent so Tabla has lots of competition. 

Tabla will be there without question IMO. What superior options do we have over him??

8 hours ago, Blackdude said:

It was Hirschfeld who played, actually.

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Dunfield switched under the old rules. He joined our U20's for the 2001WC as a 19 year old.

I stand corrected. Well played. 

But the point on Begovic holds. 

PS - looking at our roster for that match I see how far we've come... 

On September 4, 2016 at 1:23 PM, canta15 said:

I don't really care for the idea of capping players just so they are stuck with us. If they wanna play with us they can earn their call up. We cap-tied  Cavallini and all we got is an unloyal player who"regrets" choosing us.

I think he's earned it. If he can play the way he did against Roma, he should run a riot on El Salvador.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

I think he's earned it. If he can play the way he did against Roma, he should run a riot on El Salvador.

You can't be serious? A few matches in USL and a friendly against a club side entering preseason is enough for a call up to the MNT? If so, you have proven the point that we have no depth whatsoever, that we really cannot expect to compete for a spot in the Hex and that we are delusional for blaming the current coach (which we always do) for always failing to take us to the next step.

5 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

You can't be serious? A few matches in USL and a friendly against a club side entering preseason is enough for a call up to the MNT? If so, you have proven the point that we have no depth whatsoever, that we really cannot expect to compete for a spot in the Hex and that we are delusional for blaming the current coach (which we always do) for always failing to take us to the next step.

We have no depth whatsoever lol

On 9/4/2016 at 2:23 PM, canta15 said:

I don't really care for the idea of capping players just so they are stuck with us. If they wanna play with us they can earn their call up. We cap-tied  Cavallini and all we got is an unloyal player who"regrets" choosing us.

I tend to be way more cynical and selfish about this.  I may be wrong and probably could be convinced otherwise, but right now I am of the opinion that we should cap tie every eligible kid with at least one leg that will accept the call. 

Cavallini may choose to refrain from international footy rather than pull on the red and white ever again, but I think most cap-tied players would ultimately play (and play hard) for Canada.  Lets be honest, we aren't going to trick someone into playing for us.  Anyone worth capping early is already on a career track where they have people whispering in their ears about career choices - including where to play their international footy.  All we can do is offer them an early entry point to international footy with some assurance that they would be a valued member of the program.  And if we manage to convince some proud/grateful/whatever kid to play for the maple leaf instead of the [insert national logo], then more power to us.  Heck, people on this forum will know that the most excitement amongst new Nats lately have been those eligible for other countries who were convinced to play for Canada.  Junior, Airfield, Tesho - everyone was/is excited about these guys joining the program.  So why not take this a step further and try to proactively pull promising players into our program/pool?  No one is holding a gun to their head, and we have been on the shit end of that stick too often to politely take the high road.  Lets not forget that in the last few cycles our program has lost both a starting midfielder for Man United and a keeper who started numerous games for Chelsea.  Talented players have gone through the Canadian system at various points.  Lets make damn sure they stay in it. 

It would be great if we had the player pool that this was needed, but right now we don't.  The biggest reason cited to excuse Floro's performance is that we don't have the talent some of us think we do.  And while I do believe we are talented enough to make the hex, it is hard to deny that our chances would improve with more talented kids coming up through the system.  And if that means cap-typing a few 18-21 year old who aren't on the radar in other countries, then so be it.  I am not saying we should cap them and dispose of them - we are trying to build a deeper pool.  And lest face it - if we don't end up calling them up again, there is a pretty good chance they weren't making Germany's starting 11 anyway...

12 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We have very little depth.

Edited by Macksam

Not most encouraging news here:

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2016/09/13/ballou-tabla-joue-la-comme-drogba_4997110_3212.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1473780791

(In French)

Quote from the article:

Tout sourire, Ballou rêve tout haut : « Jouer pour la Côte d’Ivoire serait extraordinaire. C’est mon plus grand rêve. J’ai toujours voulu être quelqu’un de connu, quelqu’un qui inspire les jeunes. » Comme Didier Drogba.

My translation:

Smiling, Ballou dreams "playing for Ivory Coast would be extraordinary. It is my biggest dream. I always wanted to be someone known, someone who inspires young people." Like Didier Drogba.

1 hour ago, farrelld said:

Not most encouraging news here:

http://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2016/09/13/ballou-tabla-joue-la-comme-drogba_4997110_3212.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter&utm_term=Autofeed#link_time=1473780791

(In French)

Quote from the article:

Tout sourire, Ballou rêve tout haut : « Jouer pour la Côte d’Ivoire serait extraordinaire. C’est mon plus grand rêve. J’ai toujours voulu être quelqu’un de connu, quelqu’un qui inspire les jeunes. » Comme Didier Drogba.

My translation:

Smiling, Ballou dreams "playing for Ivory Coast would be extraordinary. It is my biggest dream. I always wanted to be someone known, someone who inspires young people." Like Didier Drogba.

Lots of kids from other countries, especially African countries, would jump at the chance to play for their (much better) birth country. Not really surprising.

16 hours ago, Bully said:

^ well hey.. Ivory Coast gave him and his family opportunity right? 

That's a dangerous game to play. Are there any defectors or even fence sitters that Canada gave a soccer opportunity to? Bustos and I guess now Tabla are the only ones I know of that come anywhere close. But the majority of national teamers we have had for the last 20 years got their first pro opportunities outside of Canada.

In summary, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I tend to agree about the moral high ground argument. Plus, I don't pretend that I approach this issue rationally, or that I need to have any semblance of objectivity about a player's choice of national team.

I am a Canadian fan. If you have the chance to pull on the maple leaf, you take it.  I don't care if the Pele himself calls you and pleads his case - you should tell him to go fuck himself, that he didn't deserve to lace Maradona's boots, and that you choose Canada. If pull on the colours of a different country, and don't bleed maple syrup, you are wrong - whatever your personal reasons. 

Remember that Tabla was wearing the maple leaf less than 2 weeks ago, and has done so on multiple occasions at multiple levels. And as of today, he's a USL level player. Yes he's looked worthy on an MLS contract when I've seen him this year, but he hasn't played at a higher level yet. And thus it makes all this worrying of a possible defection nothing but premature.

If Tabla gets an MLS deal and performs well in 2017, then it may make sense to cap tie him at the Gold Cup. But as of today I don't think that cap tying him simply because we are scared to lose him to the Ivory Coast makes sense.

Just now, shermanator said:

Remember that Tabla was wearing the maple leaf less than 2 weeks ago, and has done so on multiple occasions at multiple levels. And as of today, he's a USL level player. Yes he's looked worthy on an MLS contract when I've seen him this year, but he hasn't played at a higher level yet. And thus it makes all this worrying of a possible defection nothing but premature.

If Tabla gets an MLS deal and performs well in 2017, then it may make sense to cap tie him at the Gold Cup. But as of today I don't think that cap tying him simply because we are scared to lose him to the Ivory Coast makes sense.

Saying that, there has been a lot of criticism towards the CSA in the past for waiting too long to cap tie a player or people thinking that the CSA has no idea who the player is.   Basically waiting until it is too late, until he has drawn the eye of another country he is eligible for.  We don't really have the depth to wait and see if some players develop into the players we think they may become.  Once they develop into that player and the CSA/MNT manager think it is time to cap tie him it may be too late at that point.  Once they receive interest from another country we once again become second fiddle.