Ballou Tabla

shermanator

There's a saying - the way you practice is the way you play, and the way you practice is why you play.  In other words, you'll never see the pitch if you don't show it in practice.

I remember watching some footage of Bayern training scrimmages, and saying to myself "Holy #$%^, someone is going to get seriously hurt!"  We're talking full-speed, shoulder-barging, slide-tackling scrimmages.  And sure enough, people have been seriously hurt in Bayern scrimmages.  And there have been full-blown dust-ups too (note to John Herdman - it's not necessarily a bad thing).  But when they take the pitch for real, there's a reason that team is the best in the world - absolutely relentless, fully fit and on it from the first minute - it's because they practice that way.

There are a few people who don't have to practice hard every day (e.g. Allen Iverson).  Ballou, you are not one of them.

9 minutes ago, GasPed said:

There are a few people who don't have to practice hard every day (e.g. Allen Iverson).  Ballou, you are not one of them.

I can use my imagination to envision Tabla waltzing about in practice and expecting to make the game-day squad, just because he scored a brace in that cup game against Halifax. 

On the other hand, I can also imagine him scoring and playing generally well in training and still not make the game-day squad - just because a few training sessions and goals in a cup game are not always enough. Sometimes you need patience.

He may be training well but if the guy next to him is also training well and is already cemented in the team he's probably going to be limited to cup games for a while longer. 

At the end of the day, who's to say what's going on...

I still think he gets a few more MLS games and features in the rest of the cup games from here on out. Fingers crossed because the kid has loads of talent. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I can use my imagination to envision Tabla waltzing about in practice and expecting to make the game-day squad, just because he scored a brace in that cup game against Halifax. 

Sort of like Simmons in today's 76ers practice.🤣  Except, I don't think Simmons has any intentions of playing until he's traded.

Well lets use our melons.  Who is he coming on for??  I dont get to see a lot of Impact games but he would be coming on more for a winger (left sided?) not a central mid??  So maybe Choniere sits?? I liked what he was doing on the weekend, most of the attack was coming down his wing.  Thats a tough one, I'd like to see him get back to MLS, get things on track again.  But unlike TFC, Montreal really are in the playoff race and cant afford to do tinkering just for the sake of getting him going.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Well lets use our melons.  Who is he coming on for??  I dont get to see a lot of Impact games but he would be coming on more for a winger (left sided?) not a central mid??  So maybe Choniere sits?? I liked what he was doing on the weekend, most of the attack was coming down his wing.  Thats a tough one, I'd like to see him get back to MLS, get things on track again.  But unlike TFC, Montreal really are in the playoff race and cant afford to do tinkering just for the sake of getting him going.  

I don't see Choniere sitting for Tabla. To be honest I don't even see Tabla playing wingback.

If I am Nancy I want someone who is more two-way, which Tabla is not (or at least I haven't seen signs of it). 

I just don't see that as the best use of the player. I think you'd want Tabla in a spot where he doesn't have to be tactically disciplined, so wingback I don't see.

And that begs the question of where you play him. I can't recall where he played against Halifax but it appeared to be up front somewhere. It wasn't wingback, that I am almost certain of.

Good point about the playoff race. This is my thought as well. Minutes at Montreal aren't going to be handed out like candy at this stage of the season.

Another article with some damning anonymous comments:

“This guy is a lost case. He doesn't have a head on his shoulders. He was a guy who was badly advised, he was surrounded by people who did not know soccer and who made him believe all kinds of things. But he doesn't understand what it takes to be a professional. Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever understand it. There are several things wrong with him. "

“I remember meeting him on his return from Europe, he was walking with security guards, I told myself that it was not his business. I understood that his entourage must still have an important influence on him. "

“Only he can help himself. Several have tried over the years to help him, Mauro, Patrice, Hassoun, Wilfried, but in vain. Even with Didier it didn't work. If you are not able to follow Didier's example, it is because there is no hope. Personally, I no longer speak to him. "

“I think his agents have some blame to take. When I got to know his entourage in Barcelona, I worried about him. Yes, there is the logo, that's fine, but that's not all. I tried to make him understand several times. But you know, when a kid doesn't want to listen, what do you do? "

“In my opinion, he was too young at 16 to make the jump with the first team. He suffered from the fact that for years there was no reserve team at the Impact. "

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/433230/cf-montreal-ballou-un-talent-pur-qui-tourne-en-rond

Edited by red card

3 minutes ago, red card said:

“This guy is a lost case. He doesn't have a head on his shoulders. He was a guy who was badly advised, he was surrounded by people who did not know soccer and who made him believe all kinds of things. But he doesn't understand what it takes to be a professional. Unfortunately, I don't think he will ever understand it. There are several things wrong with him. "

“I remember meeting him on his return from Europe, he was walking with security guards, I told myself that it was not his business. I understood that his entourage must still have an important influence on him. "

“Only he can help himself. Several have tried over the years to help him, Mauro, Patrice, Hassoun, Wilfried, but in vain. Even with Didier it didn't work. If you are not able to follow Didier's example, it is because there is no hope. Personally, I no longer speak to him. "

“I think his agents have some blame to take. When I got to know his entourage in Barcelona, I worried about him. Yes, there is the logo, that's fine, but that's not all. I tried to make him understand several times. But you know, when a kid doesn't want to listen, what do you do? "

“In my opinion, he was too young at 16 to make the jump with the first team. He suffered from the fact that for years there was no reserve team at the Impact. "

https://www.985fm.ca/nouvelles/sports/433230/cf-montreal-ballou-un-talent-pur-qui-tourne-en-rond

Yeah ultimately he was held in similar regards to Davies but really he's a Boakai. Of the 99s Millar is putting in the work to get better every day and Buchanon has exploded onto the scene and his on a huge upward trjectory.

One thing I'll say is Millar has a good support system keeping him focused on the grind (his dad has mentioned this many times) and Buchanon seems to get attached to coaches who have advised him well (his Brampton coach who he followed to Colorado and then Bruce Arena who he has said taught him what kind of mentality he needs to come in with every day to be a professional)

43 minutes ago, red card said:

I think what was said by the last interviewee may be the most useful for Ballou: 

"Balou is a talented young man, but he lacks self-confidence. I often had to talk to him to cheer him up after a disappointment. It's something people don't know about him. »

"Ballou needs a psychologist. I'm not talking about the one provided by the team, but someone who specializes in his kind of case. I think it's recoverable. When you have a talented guy like that, the work never ends. »

I don't see this as an insult - I read this as an honest compassionate assessment of what Ballou could do to realize his potential. 

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

God damn that is depressing though.  I hope he can somehow turn things around but it sure seems like the things holding him back have some pretty deep roots.  

This is the turning point in the 30 for 30 doc. where you travel to Montreal and take him under your wing.  He subsequently scores a game winning goal in Qatar and points to you in the crowd.  

Edited by trc2014

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

My God.  Ballou may not be a great pro, but my God he did not deserve to be publicly shit on by his supposed peers hiding behind anonymity.  WTF!?  

Not so sure I agree. I would imagine the majority of those who commented have told him their feelings directly as well. 

Harsh yes, but perhaps something public like this is the last step many believe needs to be taken. Fans and journalists alike are constantly asking for updates about him and now it's officially out there and known. It's up to him how he wants to take it and proceed. 

This shouldn't be shocking to anyone who's followed Ballou. It's been pretty clear for a while that Ballou could benefit from a Psychologist. I still believe he's a spectacular talent, so I remain hopeful he can turn it around.

Speaking of psychology, here's my unqualified read on him: The young man was the star of Quebec youth soccer because his talent was off the charts, not because he outworked others or had a great attitude. Whether it was down to his entourage or his own personality we can only speculate, but either way he clearly had delusions of grandeur and saw himself as a world star footballer in the making.

It is quite healthy to dream of being a world star and make that your goal (the story of Jonathan David), but you don't get there by keeping toxic company or failing to be humble - that's the difference. Thinking you can get there without humility is delusional. 

Some time back I mentioned how his Ivory Coast aspirations were a symptom of the problem. It was my theory that giving it all up for Canada was a major set back for him mentally. For someone like Davies, playing for Canada is/was bigger than him (you can just tell), so it was not a set back at all, it was more of a mission, but for Tabla it felt like his arm had to be twisted to play for us. Canada was not the sexy choice and we had no track record of success compared to IC, so his decision to play for Canada always struck me as bizarre - though I was happy he chose us. 

He announced himself against Roma, was scouted by Chelsea and was signed by Barcelona (with a 25M release clause), so he was on his way to stardom on the surface of things. However, I can't help but feel he lost something the moment he declared for Canada, an "inferior" national team, AND failed to make an impact with said team. I honestly feel that it broke him, because he wasn't really the same after that.

If you go back and study his career you will see that following his two senior caps in 2018, things started to go downhill.

I believe in general that holding on to delusions are a sign of a fragile ego and low self-confidence. When you truly believe in yourself, you know in your heart of hearts you can fail and come back stronger. Delusion is not a replacement for self-confidence, it is a cloak and/or a coping mechanism. 

Anyways, enough of my arm chair analysis...

Let's just keep supporting him, because he's not a lost cause. He's still under contract and he's getting into cup matches and scoring. He was also part of the U-23 Olympic team, looked a bit more mature, and played rather decently.

Edited by Obinna

I just want to remind everyone that while he was at Barça, from the first day of training, to the last, no complaints were ever made by any coach. He was played regularly, from the start, started matches, and even scored. On the pitch he often had to be instructed by the coach, but mostly for defensive assignments expected of a winger.

He was taken by the club on the pre-season tour to the US. He trained numerous times, perhaps a dozen or more, with the first team. 

He also performed adequately alongside some good players now in top flight, like Miranda at Betis or Cucu at Brighton. Araujo the great Uruguay defender came in when he was there too. Aleñà, then captain of Barça B and now at Getafe very much had him under his wing.

The only aspect I did not like is that he was overly frustrated about not scoring. He is not a great scorer, seemed to want to, and if he missed he got down. That is a liability, and an immaturity. You just have to push past, and perhaps work on some aspects of finishing. Another player who has to work on this more: Liam Millar--just practice, play, shoot, and relax a bit. 

I often think that he just needed some human support, and some better advice. Clearly going to Albacete on loan was an error, I'm reminded of it looking at Corbeanu at Wednesday. Sometimes the new club has no committment to developing a kid. He probably should not have returned to Montreal, but I would think he felt he needed family support. 

Objectively, for Canada, he was amongst our best 5-6 players in Olympic qualifying. That was how long ago?

He had 2 caps in 2018, when he was 19 years old. Those caps were in Nations League. Not that I want it to happen or anything, but am I right in thinking he is eligible for a switch away from Canada?

P.S. At the time of his debut, Ivory Coast was ranked 66, 13 spots ahead of Canada at 79. Now Canada is ranked 48, 5 spots ahead of Ivory Coast at 53.

41 minutes ago, Kent said:

He had 2 caps in 2018, when he was 19 years old. Those caps were in Nations League. Not that I want it to happen or anything, but am I right in thinking he is eligible for a switch away from Canada?

P.S. At the time of his debut, Ivory Coast was ranked 66, 13 spots ahead of Canada at 79. Now Canada is ranked 48, 5 spots ahead of Ivory Coast at 53.

There is absolutely zero chance  Tabla would break into the IC squad based on his current form regardless of what the FIFA rankings are right now

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I think so. 3 or less caps (of which at least one is official) and you can still switch, unless one of those caps is a world cup or gold cup game (not qualifier). I forget if nations league counts as '1 cap = cap-tied', but his 2 caps were in nations league qualifying anyway.

22 hours ago, Kadenge said:

There is absolutely zero chance  Tabla would break into the IC squad based on his current form regardless of what the FIFA rankings are right now

I realize that. I was just curious about the possibility on a technicality level. If he somehow flicks a switch and all his past potential is suddenly realized and he starts playing Davies level good, he could choose which of the 2 countries to play for.

• 1 month later...