Helping Travellers/Newbies Feel Included

rob.notenboom

I started a thread like this prior to the Edmonton games for the WWC and I think some of the same things hold, although perhaps not as significantly. There will be quite a few travelling Voyageurs and new Voyageurs mixed in with those who are attending with a crew of friends. Although sometimes it means going outside one's comfort zone, if people took a moment to meet a couple of new people it would go a long way to making those people feel included in what is a pretty cool Vs family. It sounds a bit lame to say it, but having been the new guy not that long ago, it's great to make some connections.

I think it may be wise to have some kind of committee that looks after this on game day wherever we are.

Some wise words here. We want to be inclusive with new people coming out and making an extra effort to get to know people. I've always thought name tags at the pre match pub would be a good idea. Also some way to recognize people attending their first match. (Maybe on their name tag?) 

Some wise words here. We want to be inclusive with new people coming out and making an extra effort to get to know people. I've always thought name tags at the pre match pub would be a good idea. Also some way to recognize people attending their first match. (Maybe on their name tag?) 

Yes I think that was mentioned for Edmonton as well, but we didn't get on it. 

Personally I get a kick out of matching up faces with forum handles as well. Few people use their actual name like I do.

I will pick some up some name badges and bring a couple of Sharpies.

I would like to run this past people organizing things first TBH. I don't think we know what the pre-party details are yet and I'd like it to be 'supported by management' so to speak. 

Not telling you what to do. Just seeing if we can be 'all in' on this. 

Love that you started this thread, Rob. As someone who recently went through his first game in the Voyageurs section, it can be intimidating reaching out to those you don't know (and for a brief moment debated turning around and driving back home). Thankfully, two pints of Guinness helped.

I'll be looking to do the same at the Calgary watch party, hopefully all newbies feel welcome there.

I would like to run this past people organizing things first TBH. I don't think we know what the pre-party details are yet and I'd like it to be 'supported by management' so to speak. 

Not telling you what to do. Just seeing if we can be 'all in' on this. 

Sure maybe you're right. I'll hold off on picking anything up unless I hear otherwise. 

Sure maybe you're right. I'll hold off on picking anything up unless I hear otherwise. 

No problem. I'm not trying to downplay the idea btw. I think it's a great idea. Name, forum handle/twitter handle, hometown, etc. Could be a real ice breaker. I just thought it might be good to get some kind of 'Yes, let's do this' so that everyone is on board, if that makes sense.

I'm sure Jamie has stuff set up for game day, but if anybody gets into town earlier or is staying later and wants to grab a beer, let me know.

I'm pretty sure Matthew and I will be heading for a beer on Wednesday night as we both fly in around supper time and may as well get the party started early :). You're welcome to join us. No idea where we're going to end up yet though.

I'm pretty sure Matthew and I will be heading for a beer on Wednesday night as we both fly in around supper time and may as well get the party started early :). You're welcome to join us. No idea where we're going to end up yet though.

Busy on Wednesday, but keep me posted here or via PM. I can see whether I can round up some other local Vs that don't really come on the forum.

Archived