November Mens U20 Camp

IceCreamMan

Interesting that only one Whitecap this time...that has got be a first for a youth side for a very long time.  Usually these sides are dominated by TFC and Whitecap players with only one or two from the Impact. The Impact have 4 in this group so it seems the success they have had recently in the USSDA is finally starting to get noticed.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a two part interview with Rob Gale the Men's U20 head coach recently. He didn't get into specifics, but spoke of the lengths the CSA is currently going to in order to communicate with players that have multiple options. Some of that behind-the-scenes work is paying off with the recent additions on the senior men's side, but he said that there are several other instances right down to U15 and perhaps even below where they are monitoring players and staying in contact with the players, their clubs, and their families. It left me feeling quite positive about the job they are doing with these potential fence sitters and I hope it pays off.

Edit: It was two part only because we talked too long before I started to record and he had to go. We finished up the interview over Skype. Very engaging guy. Seems deeply committed, very knowledgeable, and has tons of energy, all good things to see.

Agree with all that. Also nice to see they are casting the net a little wider than TFC, VWFC, MIFC respective academies. Nice to have the MLS academies, but nice also to see the CSA is looking a little deeper into the youth player pool than perhaps they have in the past few cycles. 

"joined the Czech national team for the first time in 2014, he could not speak a word of Czech."

https://mrkeysirensie.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/from-canada-to-millwall-fc-and-czech-national-team/

Didn't know anything about him but that made me laugh.

He has played 3 times for the Czech Republic U18 side and 11 times for the U17 side with 1 goal.   He is currently a member of the U19 side, but there are some quality players infront of him who play in the Czech Republic league.

judas de guzman excercised his right to play for a nation he was eligible for.... I say fuck judas

Punk ass judas runs around in orange and thinks he's Dutch, just because he has lived there most of his life and was granted citizenship. No way. 

ya. And i dont like him for it 

kinda like a girl that leads you on and leaves you with blue balls

yeah, the same type of girl you easily forget about and hold no resentment towards, because there are much more important things in your life, like investing into a woman who is deserving of your attention.

No room in my world to hold a petty grudge like that, it is exhausting and life is way too short.:)

Yes. Very true. Never thought of that. Cross pollination :)

Emanuel Dolo from Newfoundland is one example of a player that found himself in an Academy as the result of one of these camps. I believe it was either 2014 or 2013 when  he attended the eastern Canada camp that featured players from Quebec and Atlantic Canada. He has now joined the fury academy.

IIRC, this player was high on the scoring chart with team Atlantic at the National All-star Championships in BC a few years ago. In the past, the next step would be to either go directly into the U-15 National team, or begin training at the NTC in Halifax, or fail to get scouted for either (like myself).The NTC is a sort of a second chance, but can also be a dead end. These regional ID camps provide a layer in between NTC and direct national team selection, and I believe they are very valuable - it sure has benefited this young man.

Emanuel Dolo from Newfoundland is one example of a player that found himself in an Academy as the result of one of these camps. I believe it was either 2014 or 2013 when  he attended the eastern Canada camp that featured players from Quebec and Atlantic Canada. He has now joined the fury academy.

IIRC, this player was high on the scoring chart with team Atlantic at the National All-star Championships in BC a few years ago. In the past, the next step would be to either go directly into the U-15 National team, or begin training at the NTC in Halifax, or fail to get scouted for either (like myself).The NTC is a sort of a second chance, but can also be a dead end. These regional ID camps provide a layer in between NTC and direct national team selection, and I believe they are very valuable - it sure has benefited this young man.

Yes that seems to be a very positive change. The developmental path is completely rewritten. Once again, I'm no expert, but it makes sense that a week or two here and there at a national training centre isn't going to be as good as getting into an academy. 

Yes that seems to be a very positive change. The developmental path is completely rewritten. Once again, I'm no expert, but it makes sense that a week or two here and there at a national training centre isn't going to be as good as getting into an academy. 

Absolutely.

By the way, NTC in the past held camps on a monthly basis during the off-season  (i.e excluding the summer playing season), so that is quite an investment for a player from Newfoundland. Occasionally the NTC-Atlantic would travel to Quebec to play against their NTC, but it was mostly training. One of the guys I played provincial team and senior ball with was coached by Stephen Hart there back in our U-15 days. 

As far as I know, the NTC system still opperates in the same way.

More recently, the CSA introduced RTC to supplement the NTC.

Newfoundland has one and I believe so does Saskatchewan. The aim is for each province without an NTC to establish a training program for elite players, providing additional training, but also providing an opportunity to send deserving players to NTC. I imagine cities with NTC's (Van, Edm, Tor, Mtl, Hfx) simply ran RTC at their NTC site, but I cant say for sure.

Anyhow, the I am curious to know what the role of NTC is now in provinces like Alberta. I wonder if the best players in Northern Alberta get scooped up first by FCE Academy, while the remainder get scooped up by NTC-Praries?

It could also be that there is cross-over and the only the best players from FCE Academy attend NTC-Praries and join elite players from Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg. Given the talent elsewhere in the region, only a handful of players from FCE would get an NTC look, as camps are generally no more than 30 players. I think this is what happens in reality. I also think it means the standard may actually be higher at NTC. An interesting thought to ponder......

Yes that is interesting. According to Dave Nutt of the SSA there is a prairie high performance 'league' coming. Just interviewed him this week and it will be up soon. He had a lot to say on it. Somewhat OPDL-like he indicated. 

Hasn't this been rumoured for a few years and shelved because Alberta clubs won't cooperate?

Hasn't this been rumoured for a few years and shelved because Alberta clubs won't cooperate?

That was my understanding too until Monday TBH. But now it seems that there might be positive moves in a direction that eventually sees all three prairie provinces involved in something. However, I'm terrible with the details. The interview with Dave Nutt will be up as FTBH Ep60, and you can hear it in his words if you're interested. Apologies for promoting our podcast on the forum ... not usually my thing.

That was my understanding too until Monday TBH. But now it seems that there might be positive moves in a direction that eventually sees all three prairie provinces involved in something. However, I'm terrible with the details. The interview with Dave Nutt will be up as FTBH Ep60, and you can hear it in his words if you're interested. Apologies for promoting our podcast on the forum ... not usually my thing.

when do you think, if ever, Sask will produce a men's national team member? Or a u17 or u20 member? Being originally from Halifax, it's tough for smaller provinces....

when do you think, if ever, Sask will produce a men's national team member? Or a u17 or u20 member? Being originally from Halifax, it's tough for smaller provinces....

I honestly couldn't predict that. Maybe never. Nice to see Brett Levis doing well with Caps II, but I'm not sure if he's an outlier or not. I have heard that there are many more players getting daily training with some of the province's better TDs, but without solid first team competitive minutes, I'm not sure where this will take them (maybe get a number of players into residency situations outside the province is the best bet).

I honestly couldn't predict that. Maybe never. Nice to see Brett Levis doing well with Caps II, but I'm not sure if he's an outlier or not. I have heard that there are many more players getting daily training with some of the province's better TDs, but without solid first team competitive minutes, I'm not sure where this will take them (maybe get a number of players into residency situations outside the province is the best bet).

I'd guess the best bet is some phenom is identified by the Caps academy and then shipped to Vancouver..

Archived