November Mens U20 Camp

IceCreamMan

I think it's way too late for him.  Also, fuck him.  Punk ass kid grows up around my neck of the woods and thinks he's Czech?  No way.

He was the top player on one of the top 2/3 teams for years in the province. The CSA was approached a few times by his soccer club, asking to have him scouted and invited to national camps. Nothing. When they were informed he would be moving to England and he was drawing interest from the Czech program, the CSA response was well if he really wants to play for Canada he will come. 

Plain ignorant on the part of the CSA. 

Would you still blame the kid?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the top player on one of the top 2/3 teams for years in the province. The CSA was approached a few times by his soccer club, asking to have him scouted and invited to national camps. Nothing. When they were informed he would be moving to England and he was drawing interest from the Czech program, the CSA response was well if he really wants to play for Canada he will come. 

Maybe he is the addition Gale mentioned in this article http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-calls-up-calgarys-tomori-to-under-20-team/

"The academies from all three Canadian MLS teams are also represented. One more player is expected to be called in."

Queue the speculation...

Don't believe Christian Kaiswatum is with FCED. Not sure why Hanson wasn't called. I believe I read Shome is taking engineering at the UofA n went to old scona in hs. Kid must be a genius. Shome does stand out cause he's the only CIS player. 

Yes. He isn't the messiah and this isn't the World Cup. If he really wanted to play for Canada, he would wait.

Yes. He isn't the messiah and this isn't the World Cup. If he really wanted to play for Canada, he would wait.

Canada was afforded every opportunity to bring him into the fold. If they couldn't take the time to look at him in the OYSL, that's plain lazy. If they felt he wasn't good enough, then they can't complain when a European nation offers him the chance. Either way to suggest he's in the wrong makes you look petty and childish. 

Canada was afforded every opportunity to bring him into the fold. If they couldn't take the time to look at him in the OYSL, that's plain lazy. If they felt he wasn't good enough, then they can't complain when a European nation offers him the chance. Either way to suggest he's in the wrong makes you look petty and childish. 

Canada is more than certain coaches, technical directors, talent evaluators, etc. In the sporting world, those people change. If he really wanted to play for Canada, he would wait until there were people in those positions that appreciate his abilities.

If he didn't want to play for Canada and wanted immediate approval, he could go play for somebody else, which he did.

100% it's our problem. If the CSA had any interest in identifying a talented player they would have taken the time to evaluate him. They chose not to. They passed on him. 

A better soccer nation saw his talent. 

That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. He's a little Owen Hargreaves. What a baby. 

Although I don't agree laziness is the reason why he was not scouted, I believe this is what Ottawafan74 is ultimately touching on: 

Our scouting isn't good enough...

Everybody, ask yourself how is it that a kid playing in our backyard was picked up by the Czech Republic? That is shameful. 

Collectively, we must get over ourselves.

Oh, what a baby. Oh, he is just like Whoregraves. Oh, if he wanted to play for us he would wait. Oh, the CSA doesn't exist to serve him. Blah blah blah, deflection from the real issue once again.

The reality is he is going to play for which ever country values him enough to call him. Like everyone else, I don't know this young man, but I am going to take an educated guess that an aspiring professional is not going to turn down a promising professional development opportunity. Why the hell would he do that? It's not like he had two offers and picked on over the other, is it? As far as I understand this, he picked the invitation that was extended to him. 

Let's look in the mirror and ask oourselves how a promising player got through the cracks, instead of making the same erroneous assumption that young soccer players are just going to wait around for us to get our shit together when other opportunities come around.

Although I don't agree laziness is the reason why he was not scouted, I believe this is what Ottawafan74 is ultimately touching on: 

Our scouting isn't good enough...

Everybody, ask yourself how is it that a kid playing in our backyard was picked up by the Czech Republic? That is shameful. 

Collectively, we must get over ourselves.

Oh, what a baby. Oh, he is just like Whoregraves. Oh, if he wanted to play for us he would wait. Oh, the CSA doesn't exist to serve him. Blah blah blah, deflection from the real issue once again.

The reality is he is going to play for which ever country values him enough to call him. Like everyone else, I don't know this young man, but I am going to take an educated guess that an aspiring professional is not going to turn down a promising professional development opportunity. Why the hell would he do that? It's not like he had two offers and picked on over the other, is it? As far as I understand this, he picked the invitation that was extended to him. 

Let's look in the mirror and ask oourselves how a promising player got through the cracks, instead of making the same erroneous assumption that young soccer players are just going to wait around for us to get our shit together when other opportunities come around.

he sent video tapes to the Czech program because he wanted to play for them. He said in an interview he had his mind made up to play for the Czechs. They invited him after watching the tapes.

is Canadian scouting good enough? Hell no. Are players going to get missed, especially at young ages? Yes they are. They're missed everywhere.

Did Cyle Larin throw a hissy fit when he wasn't playing for Canadian youth national teams. Did he run off to Jamaica? Hell no, he put his head down and kept improving and forced his way into the conversation. 

Thank God everyone doesn't carry a giant chip on their shoulder and feel slighted at everything.

he sent video tapes to the Czech program because he wanted to play for them. He said in an interview he had his mind made up to play for the Czechs. They invited him after watching the tapes.

Okay fine, but has the CSA ever call him and if so, did he reject their invitation?

Did Cyle Larin throw a hissy fit when he wasn't playing for Canadian youth national teams. Did he run off to Jamaica? Hell no, he put his head down and kept improving and forced his way into the conversation. 

Thank God everyone doesn't carry a giant chip on their shoulder and feel slighted at everything.

Did it ever occur to you that Cyle Larin never advertised himself to Jamaica because he just never viewed them as an attractive option?

Okay fine, but has the CSA ever call him and if so, did he reject their invitation?

I don't know. If he didn't get scouted and invited, at the age of 16 or whatever age he was, that means it's time to throw in the towel? 

I mean that's the end of the road, right?

He wasn't missed. CSA knew who he was but felt he wasn't good enough for them. He looked in another direction.  Can't fault him. 

CSA is falling into a similar trap. Where before they used the provincial teams to draw from, now they are looking to the pro academies to scout. They need to do a better job of looking at kids outside their stream. Plenty of talented kids out there but they need to continue to want to look for them. 

He has played 3 times for the Czech Republic U18 side and 11 times for the U17 side with 1 goal.   He is currently a member of the U19 side, but there are some quality players infront of him who play in the Czech Republic league.

Kris Twardek----As the article said "I wanted to play football at the international level and in the end I CHOSE THE CZECH REP. OVER CANADA."   That says it all. Forget about him. With that attitude we don't need another player that has no pride in wearing Canadian jersey.

I don't know. If he didn't get scouted and invited, at the age of 16 or whatever age he was, that means it's time to throw in the towel? 

I mean that's the end of the road, right?

Some individuals are more ambitious than others, and we can't control that. What we can control is how attractive we make our national program and how affective we are when it comes to exposing talented prospects to the program. That's why I interject everytime a discussion heads down this road of "blame the player for not being patriotic enough towards Canada". I don't know how many times I have to say it, but I will say it yet again, players with options don't play for a country soley because of national pride, especially when it comes to Canada, as we are a country that (as a whole) doesn't exactly have a strong sense of national identity to begin with.

Kris Twardek----As the article said "I wanted to play football at the international level and in the end I CHOSE THE CZECH REP. OVER CANADA."   That says it all. Forget about him. With that attitude we don't need another player that has no pride in wearing Canadian jersey.

So we only need players that will wait around and hold out for a call from Canada, even when another country that they have a connection with (regardless of how valid we believe that connection to be) is actually willing to bring them in without delay? 

Let's face it. He wasn't good enough for the Canadian u17 side that qualified for the WC. Who would you have dropped to include him?

My problem was that when faced with adversity, he did not try to work harder to make the Canadian team. He decided to play somewhere.

So if he wasn't good enough to play for our youth team, why is everyone getting butt hurt about him trying his luck with another country?

Archived