November Mens U20 Camp

IceCreamMan

http://www.canadasoccer.com/next-canada-m20-group-heads-to-mexico-for-camp-and-international-matches-p158793

Some names that are interesting. Particularly the guys from England who are far from guarantees to stick with the program. Nice looking roster in my opinion.  

CANADA
GK- Philip Di Bennardo | CAN / Toronto FC II
GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
CB- Thomas Meilleur Giguère | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
CB- Mateo Restrepo | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Fikayo Tomori | ENG / Chelsea FC U-21
FB- Gabriel Boakye | CAN / Toronto FC II
FB- Kadin Chung | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
FB- Marcus Godinho | CAN / Toronto FC II
M- Tristan Borges | CAN / Toronto FC II
M- David Choinière | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Joshua Doughty | ENG / Manchester United FC U-21
M- Duwayne Ewart | CAN / Vaughan SC
M- Harrison Paton | ENG / Fulham FC U-18 Academy
M- Shamit Shome | CAN / University of Alberta
M- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal
M- Luca Uccello | CAN / Toronto FC II
F- Dario Zanatta | SCO / Heats of Midlothian FC

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a two part interview with Rob Gale the Men's U20 head coach recently. He didn't get into specifics, but spoke of the lengths the CSA is currently going to in order to communicate with players that have multiple options. Some of that behind-the-scenes work is paying off with the recent additions on the senior men's side, but he said that there are several other instances right down to U15 and perhaps even below where they are monitoring players and staying in contact with the players, their clubs, and their families. It left me feeling quite positive about the job they are doing with these potential fence sitters and I hope it pays off.

Edit: It was two part only because we talked too long before I started to record and he had to go. We finished up the interview over Skype. Very engaging guy. Seems deeply committed, very knowledgeable, and has tons of energy, all good things to see.

Very happy to see:

CB- Fikayo Tomori | ENG / Chelsea FC U-21
M- Tristan Borges | CAN / Toronto FC II
M- Joshua Doughty | ENG / Manchester United FC U-21
F- Dario Zanatta | SCO / Heats of Midlothian FC

There's some real talent there.

Need to throw Harrison in that group

M- Harrison Paton | ENG / Fulham FC U-18 Academy

I had a two part interview with Rob Gale the Men's U20 head coach recently. He didn't get into specifics, but spoke of the lengths the CSA is currently going to in order to communicate with players that have multiple options. Some of that behind-the-scenes work is paying off with the recent additions on the senior men's side, but he said that there are several other instances right down to U15 and perhaps even below where they are monitoring players and staying in contact with the players, their clubs, and their families. It left me feeling quite positive about the job they are doing with these potential fence sitters and I hope it pays off.

awesome to hear. It also seems like these camps happen waaaay more frequently than they did in the past too.

Anyone know anything about the U of Alberta kid? He sorta sticks out from the rest of the group for obvious reasons.

Also, I second El Hombre, this looks to be a solid squad for a group of kids 2 years out from the U-20s

FC Edmonton tweeted out congrats as he is a graduate of their academy. 

awesome to hear. It also seems like these camps happen waaaay more frequently than they did in the past too.

They certainly do. I won't list them all as I probably will get the details incorrect, but they have been to several regions recently, looked at multiple age groups, and have taken various age groups to various competitions. Most recently they had the U16s in LA and had some decent success with them against the US splitting two games. It seems that their new approach involves monitoring the Canadian Pro Academies but then putting together test events where other players from the region (non-pro academies etc) come to regional camps and they play test games vs pro-academy players. All of this collected information gets fed into their growing player database, and they share much of this information through the CSA and across the provincial associations. I was just talking to Dave Nutt (from the SSA) on Monday night and he was discussing how he had just received the entire video and statistical breakdown from the U16 games in LA, and now gets all of that info that's created regardless of whether or not there is even a Sask player involved.

We didn't explicitly discuss this, but it seems (my own interpretation) that many of these changes are being driven by a core group of people on the technical side of things within the CSA who are capable, knowledgeable, old enough to have learned a few things, but young enough to still have a lot of drive, and they are changing the culture. It is certainly encouraging. Although I must admit this is well beyond my pay grade, so I'm not sure how solid my interpretation is.

Tomori has played in each of the last 4 U21 matches for Chelsea. We just need to get Kris Twardek on board and it'll be on hands on deck.

I think it's way too late for him.  Also, fuck him.  Punk ass kid grows up around my neck of the woods and thinks he's Czech?  No way.

Punk ass kid grows up around my neck of the woods and thinks he's Czech?  No way.

"joined the Czech national team for the first time in 2014, he could not speak a word of Czech."

https://mrkeysirensie.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/from-canada-to-millwall-fc-and-czech-national-team/

Didn't know anything about him but that made me laugh.

Anyone know anything about the U of Alberta kid? He sorta sticks out from the rest of the group for obvious reasons.

Eddies are definitely high on him. Other than that, not much is out there about him. Personally if they were so high on him they should have given him a first team deal, but maybe Shome really wanted to go to school.

Also, NO ADONIJAH REID NO PARTY!

Eddies are definitely high on him. Other than that, not much is out there about him. Personally if they were so high on him they should have given him a first team deal, but maybe Shome really wanted to go to school.

Also, NO ADONIJAH REID NO PARTY!

Can't blame him for going to University rather than making peanuts for the Eddies and maybe not even making the bench.

Archived