2015-16 NASL Offseason

shermanator

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following up with the above reddit link: FCEd signed Jake Keegan (striker, American, most recently played in Ireland), and re-signed Eddie Edward. I was getting slightly nervous due to Eddie posting lots of pro-Ottawa stuff (I know he lives there, but still). Really liking FCEd right now, I can think of 3-4 more signings needed and they should be in good shape for 2016.

Good to see Eddie Edward re-signed. Of course, the backline is the same backline that gave up 0.46 more goals a game than in 2014, with the exception of Moses gone. So, is FC Edmonton expecting the backline to bounce back to 2014 form? Or is there another defender to be signed that can improve the defensive play?

As for Keegan, he's a total unknown to me. Decent numbers in a low level league, how does that translate to NASL? Won't know until we see him on the pitch.

Until we know whether Laing is back in 2016 or not (I would guess he is not), the club will be lacking offensively. We all know their tactics won't change; FC Edmonton revolves around speed on the wings and a target man / poacher up front. They have the poacher, they have Corea who is decent on the right side, but the Eddies attack was greatly exposed when Laing was away. Short of Boakai they have zero creativity in the midfield, and he's rumoured to be gone in 2016 as well. 

Not much of a reason to be excited as of yet, but kickoff is still 4 months away. 

I disagree that Boakai would be the only creativity in the mid. Jones (while I will admit, this is while he's healthy) plays well there, and Corea drifts into the middle well. The addition of a good target man, especially one with speed is what FCEd needed in the fall IMO. There was good speed up the wings with Zebie (who I do think is better than Moses), but I think they need to sort out the left side. One or two more in the mid, and that's about what they need. I think the freeing up of another international spot (assuming that Fordyce doesn't re-sign) is a good thing for this club as well. More options.

Awkward Dinner Conversation with the NASL

Nov 27 2015 01:24 AM | Dave Laidig in Articles

Holidays are time of joy, relaxation, and reconnecting with friends and family. And part of many holiday traditions are large gatherings and family dinners. For the last 5 years, the NASL is part of our soccer family. And sitting beside the NASL leads to some awkward dinner conversations.

Great coverage of the topics that the NASL needs to cover this off season.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

Not really player movement, but this seems as good a place to post this as any. SI is reporting that the NASL has approved a bid from San Francisco to join the league. To my way of thinking, it would be launched in 2017. Looking to announce sometime in Feb 2016.

Perfect away trip. Always wanted to go to California and SF in particular!

RailHawks Sign Trinidad and Tobago International Kareem Moses

The former FC Edmonton player becomes the first new addition to the RailHawks roster ahead of the 2016 season

CARY, NC (DECEMBER 8, 2015) - A busy week for the Carolina RailHawks continues with the signing of Trinidad and Tobago international Kareem Moses, pending USSF and ITC approval.

“Kareem is a very experienced defender, someone who always did well when we played against him, so we are very happy to have him join the team next season,” said RailHawks Head Coach Colin Clarke. “Kareem is a hard-nosed, athletic, and aggressive defender that will help our backline gain even more stability.”  

Moses, 25, joins the RailHawks after playing for two successful seasons with FC Edmonton, where he scored two goals in 47 games and clocked over 4,000 minutes.

Moses brings international experience to the RailHawks. The native of Port of Spain has logged nearly 700 minutes with the Trinidad and Tobago senior National Team since he debuted in 2012 in a friendly against Canada. The Trinidadian also represented his country at the U-23 level, playing for the side in six matches.

Moses signed his first professional contract in 2009 with Joe Public FC from Trinidad and Tobago, where he played for two seasons before transferring to Superstar Rangers. After his contract ended, Moses went to play with North East Stars FC where he helped the team to a cup title and reached three other cup finals. 

“I feel overwhelmed to become part of this great team. I heard great things about the RailHawks and the Triangle area. After speaking with Colin Clarke and some players I knew this was the right choice,” said Kareem Moses. “I can't wait to start on this new journey. I look forward to working with the staff and my new teammates.”

On 29 november 2015 at 7:27 PM, Macksam said:

I disagree with the Miami opinion. They have a great owner that is going to solidly invest in the team. There's nothing wrong with that one.

On 30 november 2015 at 5:08 PM, ted said:

^ Yeah, I think that Beckham's Miami dreams may simply be imploding and the longer he takes, the stronger an NASL club can become before actually competing for fans.

Miami Fc has a big head start, but would it matter a lot if the city and MLS find some place for a brand new SSS? Atlanta all over again. I personally hope Miami FC succeeds from the gate and MLS will back off, really curious to see how they will market this team (and what the response will be). 

17 minutes ago, gwsmith63 said:

Good for you. Or we.

For the rest of the Voyageurs who didn't know this was going to happen:  Drew Beckie signs with the Carolina Railhawks.

I am sorry you understood my comment as a "snarky negative tone". I actually just wanted to point out that Fury fans have known this for a while and that it is unfortunate. 

Archived