WCQ - Canada vs. Honduras Nov. 13th, 2015 Pre-Game Thread

jpg75

No doubt, but inside BC place isn't "cold" weather, it won't even be below zero.  If we're comparing truly cold weather vs. hot/humid conditions it isn't a one-way street.  I think we'll be much better off playing at night in Central America this time around.  It was complete BS that we had to play Cuba and Honduras mid-day last time around.  

To be fair, I think Honduras are going to do the same think to Mexico when they host them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Fourth_Round

The Hondurans will use their BS tricks on anybody.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, I think Honduras are going to do the same think to Mexico when they host them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CONCACAF_Fourth_Round

People seem to think that Canada was the only country screwed by CA scheduling. That isn't the case at all. Mexico and the US both had issues and the US even lost to Honduras in San Pedro Sula during the Hex. That however flies in the face of this victim complex narrative we like to parade around here.

At what point do you draw the line?  FIFA/CONCACAF should want the best matches possible in the safest conditions for players.  It's unreasonable, dangerous and stupid.  If you can't play the match at a proper time.. between 5:00 and 9:00 pm then you shouldn't be allowed to use that venue, simple as.  

I know Cuba had to play at 2 pm because their lights don't work but that's tough s*#t... our players shouldn't be put in danger because you're living in the 1950s.  

At what point do you draw the line?  FIFA/CONCACAF should want the best matches possible in the safest conditions for players.  It's unreasonable, dangerous and stupid.  If you can't play the match at a proper time.. between 5:00 and 9:00 pm then you shouldn't be allowed to use that venue, simple as.  

I know Cuba had to play at 2 pm because their lights don't work but that's tough s*#t... our players shouldn't be put in danger because you're living in the 1950s.  

What about going after Azteca for pollution?   I think the city one time exceeded the amount lead you can expose a worker in Canada to for one hour / year  for 200+ days straight. 

I have always atruggled with heat over 30C. When i was playing rep. as a kid i would need to sub in/out regularly in the middle of summer. I assume cold would affect warm climate raised individuals inversely. Around 0C the feel of freezing extremities psychologically messes with them which is why the Mexicans looked less than focused in the 97 and 2000 qualifiers. Unfortunately i think the weather in Vancouver will be more of an annoyance than a major impairment for the Hondurans.

How do you think Bolivia has ever qualified for a World Cup?  They make everyone play at La Paz (13,000 ft above sea level).  That makes San Pedro Sula at 2 pm look like perfect playing conditions (even with bags of piss flying from the stands).  It's not about fair; this is WCQ football!

http://www.diez.hn/laseleccion/895290-99/jorge-luis-pinto-descarta-a-jona-mejía-para-juegos-ante-canadá-y

This article talks mostly about Jona Mejia not being called, but at the end reveals details of their prep. 20 players arrive for local camp today with mostly domestic and 4 foreign-based players. The roster will be announced on Wednesday and then travel to Houston next Monday.

Let's translate that article from Spanish to English to French to English and see what we get

'When Benito Floro took command of the Canadian team in 2013, he thought of the new generation is emerging, but without forgetting the great figures who for generations have joined in the battles for Canadians who have suffered in the past to the playoffs World Cup, and fail to qualify for the big occasion, they went to Mexico since 1986.
Team Canada is made up of players with dual nationality, most Europeans who migrated to the land of the Northern Hemisphere and the Caribbean. There is even a Chilean who is co-deiby Flores in Vancouver MLS.

The main force is to the front, she Cyle Larin, the boy 20 who received praise in MLS, because in his first season, he scored no more and no less than 17 goals for Orlando City, giving coach Benito Floro has a quiet because artillery.

His partner in attack is known Tosain Hoilett, who plays for Major League Boluspor Turkey. He scored 12 goals in 42 games against Honduras and was two games last meeting in 2014 in Brazil qualification.

Canada had to start from zero the tie, playing the first round in which they eliminated weak Dominican, then stopped on the way to Belizeans and then enter the group phase with the Hondurans, Salvadorans and Mexicans.

The American box has in its objective to guard Milan Borjan 28, the same as eating eight goals were scored in 2012 at the Olympics. Milan is of Croatian origin, formed in the South American football, Boca Juniors and Quilmes, and then go to Europe.
In midfield they have the experience of Julian de Guzman, the veteran of 34 years who is also a survivor of the battles of 2012, Brazil in 2014.

Currently, De Guzman, who is of Dutch origin, played in the NASL, which is the second division of the United States and was considered by Benito Floro in the last two friendlies.

Other European is the left side and with a prodigious left foot, the defender Marcel de Jong, who plays for club Sporting Kansas City MLS who plays Roger Espinoza. The left side was Canadians who scored the 1-1 draw against Ghana.

His coach Benito Floro give the call for the parties to catrachos November 13 in Vancouver and against El Salvador at the Cuscatlan 17 next week, but it would variants compared to the last of the friendly against Ghana.'

Considering this is the fourth cycle in a row we have faced Honduras it's hard to fathom anyone on either side being ignorant of the other.

Agreed, but this will be the first time for many(most?) of our new emerging talent (Larin, Akindele, Junior etc.)

I'm looking at that as a potential positive, no mental scars from previous rounds, no expectation other than to beat the team in front of them.

Considering this is the fourth cycle in a row we have faced Honduras the highest level of professional soccer it's hard to fathom anyone on either side being ignorant of the other.

;)

We can hope though...

Definitely a different vibe and set of players although doesn't take a genius to work out the tactics and formations Floro will employ. Something in football you probably shouldn't ever be able to say about your opposing team and manager with 100% certainty, but what the hey. 

I almost feel like the Hondurans are taking the piss.  How can they put their own players on such pedestals and treat them as gods, yet our guys who play in the same leagues (and many instances on the same clubs) get no respect?  Fair play though because with the way they've played us over the years they DO seem on another level.  But really, they aren't and I hope our boys know that.  We are just as good if not better.

I really want us to smash these punks.  

They didn't even mention our two best players, hopefully by the end of the 90 they can't forget them.  Would be a great time for Hoilett to open his account.

I think we have a great advantage here because while we have been predictable over the past year, it's really a whole new ball game.  The Hondurans would usually want to key in on Hutchinson here but that could be dangerous with Hoilett lurking and who knows how we'll employ Cavallini.  Those are 3 huge additions from the team that played in the Gold Cup.

Archived